General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feet falling asleep in the run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-04 10:41 AM

User image

Lakeland, TN
Subject: Feet falling asleep in the run
Today my feet felt like they were falling asleep in the run. Pins and needles and then a loss of feeling. I first thought that my shoes were tied too tight, but that wasn't the problem. I loosened them and I still had it. Anyone ever heard of such a weird problem or what I can do to fix it? My shoes are not new either, so it can't be that. I have been running on these shoes for three months now.

Thanks

2006-05-05 9:12 PM
in reply to: #360814

User image

Long Beach, Ca
Subject: RE: Feet falling asleep in the run
I have the same problem sometimes, no idea what it is, but I figured if we bump this up, maybe somebody else does. Similar problem in hands from time to time (sleeping, biking).
Help.....anyone........Bueller???
2006-05-10 6:11 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I get it on the bike, put in some gel insoles...all is well. As far as running, I have a tendency to bunch up my toes when I am running and encounter a lot of distractions. Things like oncoming cars or dodging waterpuddles or tree roots and I get tensed up. So much to the extent that I actually developed a callous on the end of one of my toes. Next time it happens make a concious effort to relax your "dogs".. Hope this helps.
2006-05-11 10:23 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I had this problum last year when i was just starting over this year (starting over) I do not the only thing I changed was the shoes I run in.
2006-05-16 11:00 AM

I had this problem maybe 10 years ago when I first started running. It simply went away with time. Then, after an unrelated injury, I had to take nearly 18 months off of running. I recently started up again, and the problem has come back.

I suspect it has something to do with conditioning, but I'm not really sure. In fact, that's what brought me to this website to begin with---doing a google search on running and "feet fall asleep!"

I wish I could be more helpful, but at least we all know we're not alone now!
2006-05-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #425097

There are a number of possible reasons, but it is possible that the blood flow is being cut off while running. I am a GP, and recently referred someone for this same reason - to a sports physician, and they ended up having arterial dopplers, which revealed they had a big drop off (more than normal) of flow with dorsiflexion of the foot. If it persists, after trying different shoes, see your doctor for advice.

2006-05-16 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Get this problem sometimes on long runs, usually in one foot and it only lasts 10 - 15 minutes and then goes away. Not sure what causes it, nor why it goes away - just one of them mysteries of running!
2006-05-17 5:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
I have the same problem. I am usually good for about 3 miles, but much more than that, I am numb. I did a race last Sat and my feet got numb on the bike too. That was weird! I think it is from being tense. I also used to have the problem a long time ago, but figured it was from my shoes being not wide enough for my duck feet.
2006-05-31 3:45 PM

I have had this problem for 2 years. 1st thought it was the shoes, now on my 4th pair all fitted by running store problem is still there. Right at mile 3 right foot goes numb, then left foot goes numb. I stop and allow blood to re-enter foot- goes away. After about each mile after that it comes back- then i stop & repeat. Very frustrating. I got inserts- still there.

Was seen by my MD, he screened me for diabetes (neuropathy), XR to check for fractures or other abnormalities. Then referred me to a neurologist for nerve testing and a podiatrist. It looks like I may be suffering from CECS (chronic exertional compartment syndrome). You can google it & get more info. When I did I felt a big AAAHAA!!, the symptoms I had are very similar. Unfortunately the standard treatment is surgery. However the bright side is that the recovery time is relatively short and relief is permanent with low risk of complications.

BAsically CECS is when the fascia lining the channel between your muscle and bones in the feet that contain the blood vessels and nerves becomes engorged with blood during exercise. This swells slightly which for the majority of people does not create a problem. We are the lucky few that the channel is not large enough to accomodate this and the swelling restricts the blood flow to the foot. With surgery they slice the surrounding fascia which allows the channel to expand more & prevent the restriction. Recovery time is 6-10 weeks but is supposed to be a permanent fix. I am waiting for my date with the knife- will update ya'll on the progress.

mahalo
2006-06-02 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Nice to see that I am not the only one...wish there were better cures.

I started training last Sept for a 1/2 Marathon. My left foot had the pins and needles only a couple of times. Ran the SEattle 1/2 no problems...ran the Phoenix 1/2 in Jan and had no issues. now I am training for a sprint tri....and I consistenly hit the pins and needles at 25 -33 minutes. If I stop, take my shoe off for a second, i am fine again.

UGGGGG...

~Ann
2006-06-02 5:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Sounds like you could have a pinched nerve. Try a quick visit to the chiropractor. They'll do wonders.

2006-06-02 8:42 AM

User image

Bellevue, WA
This often happens if the little nerves in the internal aspect of the foot are compressed. Off the shelf orthotics with a bit of an elevation toward the front of the foot in the center can offload the nerves and relieve the numbness. I am a PT and have folks do intrinsic muscle strengthening by curling toes on a towl and pulling it toward you, bunching it up. I also have people pick up marbles with their toes to strengthen the little muscles. Ultimately you may want to have someone assess your gait to see if there are any foot mechanical issues causing the impingment. Look for a PT that does orthotics or find a local podiatrist to watch you run.
2009-02-07 3:23 PM

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I know this thread is a couple years old but some possible reasons, some of which may have already been addressed...

-Shoes too tight, lack of nutrients, too much sodium in the body,  lack of flexibility which can result in bad circulation. When you compensate for injuries your body is out of alignment during exercise which may constrict blood flow to only certain parts of your muscles. Even minor injuries can cause cramps and poor circulation. With poor circulation many B vitamins may help prevent the falling asleep of your feet.  Also eating a good amounts of seeds,nuts, and foods with lycopene can help reduce the plaque build up in your body, which will improve blood flow. Vitamin C can help your capillary walls grow stronger and allow for more blood flow. Vitamin E can help with blood flow as well, thinning out the blood and making it less sticky.

800m-1:54
1500m-3:54
3k-8:39
5k-14:53
10k- 31:51

2009-02-07 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux

I've had the same problem on & off for years. I never saw anyone about it, I just figure I probably have neuromas in the balls of my feet from being a forefoot striker for 20 years. Never knew anyone else who had it.

Cathy

2009-02-07 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I get the "pins & needles" tingly feeling in my toes while running. My podiatrist thought it was a neuroma, but after further evaluation, has since changed his mind on that since I don't display some of the other common symptoms. Now he and I both think that it happens because my 4th toe "underlaps" my 3rd toe (on both feet), so there is lots of rubbing/friction/pinching going on there. Not much I can do about it, either...which kinda sucks. It's especially annoying when it happens during a race.
2009-02-11 1:40 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
I had numbness from about the ball of my foot forward into my toes until a guy at my local running store laced my shoes differently. He basically skipped a set of eyelets so that the laces didn't cross over a certain part of my foot. Apparently the pressure from the laces was causing the numbness. I had tried loosening the laces, but that only relieved pressure on the sides of my feet, not the top. Lacing them differently solved my problem. Here's roughly how my laces look:

(toe)
X
X
| |
X
(ankle)

I can't get them to line up properly, but hopefully you get the idea. Basically at one point, instead of crossing over to the other side, each lace goes directly into the next eyelet on the same side, and then they resume crossing over. I don't know if this will address your problem, but it's worth a shot.

2009-02-11 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1950892

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida

nscrbug - 2009-02-07 9:27 PM I get the "pins & needles" tingly feeling in my toes while running. My podiatrist thought it was a neuroma, but after further evaluation, has since changed his mind on that since I don't display some of the other common symptoms. Now he and I both think that it happens because my 4th toe "underlaps" my 3rd toe (on both feet), so there is lots of rubbing/friction/pinching going on there. Not much I can do about it, either...which kinda sucks. It's especially annoying when it happens during a race.

There are gel spacers available that you can put between your toes while you run (well, any time you want really).  They come in different sizes and widths.  This may help your "underlapping" problem - it may also cause some other issue, I don't know.  But it might be worth a shot if it's a big deal for you.  If you're interested look for Silipos and their digital care products.

EDIT: ha - sounds like I work for them.  I don't, but I've used them a lot for various conditions and really like their stuff.

Edited by chunta 2009-02-11 6:15 PM
2009-02-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1957589

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
chunta - 2009-02-11 6:13 PM

nscrbug - 2009-02-07 9:27 PM I get the "pins & needles" tingly feeling in my toes while running. My podiatrist thought it was a neuroma, but after further evaluation, has since changed his mind on that since I don't display some of the other common symptoms. Now he and I both think that it happens because my 4th toe "underlaps" my 3rd toe (on both feet), so there is lots of rubbing/friction/pinching going on there. Not much I can do about it, either...which kinda sucks. It's especially annoying when it happens during a race.

There are gel spacers available that you can put between your toes while you run (well, any time you want really).  They come in different sizes and widths.  This may help your "underlapping" problem - it may also cause some other issue, I don't know.  But it might be worth a shot if it's a big deal for you.  If you're interested look for Silipos and their digital care products.

EDIT: ha - sounds like I work for them.  I don't, but I've used them a lot for various conditions and really like their stuff.

Ahhh, thanks...but I've actually already tried the gel spacers...and they move out of place within a few minutes of running. Once the spacer moves, it's actually a bigger problem than the tingly/numbness is. LOL I've even tried taping my toes together...last a tad bit longer, but the tape inevitably ends up falling off due to my feet getting all sweaty. Usually the only solution for me is find the exact right combination of sock & shoe...and I think I may have found it...YAY!! Just picked up a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9's and my feet seem to be pretty happy right now. Hope it's not just a fluke and stays that way for good.
2009-02-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1958036

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
nscrbug - 2009-02-11 10:28 PM
chunta - 2009-02-11 6:13 PM

Ahhh, thanks...but I've actually already tried the gel spacers...and they move out of place within a few minutes of running. Once the spacer moves, it's actually a bigger problem than the tingly/numbness is. LOL I've even tried taping my toes together...last a tad bit longer, but the tape inevitably ends up falling off due to my feet getting all sweaty. Usually the only solution for me is find the exact right combination of sock & shoe...and I think I may have found it...YAY!! Just picked up a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 9's and my feet seem to be pretty happy right now. Hope it's not just a fluke and stays that way for good.

yeah rogue gel spacers aren't any good.  hope the shoe/sock combo works for ya!

2009-03-03 9:05 PM

User image

Hopefully most of you have solved the numbness issue. I work at a specialty running walking store and would recommend checking your shoe fit. You want about a thumbs width between your toes and the front of the shoes. Your toes should feel like they are floating, and not being restricted. Running shoes can fit at least a half to full size longer than your dress shoe size.

For those that have the good toe room maybe try going to a wider width shoe, most quality running shoes $80 and up, are available in at least a wide and possible narrow width. Inserts may help but be careful they don't raise your instep, the tallest part of the foot, to high. The top of the foot is where a lot of nerves lie on the foot, and restricted nerves will cause the foot to go numb.

With bike shoes I would recommend playing around with cleat position, and try not to put to much pressure on the forefoot, this makes my feet go numb really fast. Also make sure you have a little wiggle room for the toes, not nearly as much as a running shoe. The safest route would be to have a professional check your bike fit.

Hope this helps, happy training.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feet falling asleep in the run Rss Feed