General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Training Recommendation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-05 1:16 PM

Subject: Newbie Training Recommendation
Hello,

I am planning to do a mini triathalon in July 06. It is not a typical race. Details are at www.thegreatrace.org

I would like to start training for this race. Can someone point me to a plan or recommend some training.

Thank you,
Dave

2006-03-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #361365

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Newbie Training Recommendation

Hey Dave! Check these out you should find something that will work for you.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1

2006-03-05 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Hi Dave!

I have family and friends who have been doing Eppies every year for a long time!  I'm finally going to be able to participate this year (I'm doing the run portion as part of a relay with my Mom...still trying to nail down a kyacker).  From the stories I have heard, this is a really casual race.

The run distance is about the same as the run for a traditional olympic distance tri, and the bike distance is about the same as a sprint distance tri.  Depending on whether you feel one sport is weaker for you than the other, you may want to do a blend of the training plans pigpen linked to.  For example, if the run is more challenging for you, you may want to look at the run-focused olympic plan for the run times, and one of the sprint plans for the bike times.  And of course, you can skip the swim times altogether!   

I heard that there is a kyack class designed particularly to prepare you for the kyack portion of this race.  I'll have to get back to you if you want the details.

Welcome to the site, and have fun getting ready for this race!

Shannon

2006-03-05 7:20 PM

thanks pigpen.

this seems like information overload but perhaps the 16 week Spring "run focus" and the Sprint 13 week program will give me a good structure to plan a 4 month training program from.
2006-03-05 7:27 PM
in reply to: #361584

shannon,

thanks for your post.
i am glad it is a casual race and i want to at least be shape enough to not finish last

ya, since there is no eppie's style program, i thought blending would be appropriate. even though I have ran 5 miles in a race before, I have never done it and then had to hop on a bike then kyack, so i think the running might be my focal point. The 12mi. bike should be ok as long is there is not a lot of climb. Do you know the elements of the course? running(flat/hilly) bike(flat/hilly), kyack(current). That would be helpful to know.

also, if you could please let me know about the kyack course that would be great!!...is it perhaps in one of the links at www.greatrace.org because I saw a couple courses on there.

thanks for you help.
dave
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie Training Recommendation Rss Feed