General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conroe, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 17s
Overall Rank = 145/440
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/62
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race pretty early. Parking is about a 10 to 15-minute walk from transition. Had pleanty of time to get everything set up and visit the outhouses. They must have gone overboard with the number of outhouses per racer, becauses lines were either non-existent or incredibly short. I wasn't sure how cold it would end up being for the ride, so I brought warmer clothes and had them in transition just in case. Turned out that I didn't need to cold weather stuff. Went with standard shorts and tri-top, no gloves or warmers, and that worked out just right.
Event warmup:

After putting on the wet suit, I did frolic in the water a little before swim start. I think getting a little wet and experiencing water temperature and the initial trauma of seeing the brown abyss of South Texas water before the start really helps keep me calm during the first few minutes of the swim.
Swim
  • 45m 23s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I'm such a poor swimmer, I count this as a good swim for me! I felt nice and relaxed just about the whole way, and sighting was pretty good. I've finished in the bottom 10% of AG on a lot of swims, so I'm counting this one as pretty decent.

I watched the first wave take off. The announcer talked about the "Gate" set up at the start before the wave took off. The lead swimmers went through the gate, then one of the kayaks or boats in the water made them turn around and go back around the far side of the gate. I'm sure it cost them several minutes to back-track like that. I'm not sure about Wave #2, but I think they also went around the far side of the gate. The rest of the waves went through the gate as initially instructed. I'm sure those people that had to back-track were pretty ticked off!
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

Long run from the water to transition. Wet Suit strippers did great! I took a little time to put on socks, figuring that I'd be putting them on in T2 anyway.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I have not ridden much this fall, so I'm pleased with this ride. I was hoping to go under 3-hours, and just barely made it. I figure the heavy chip seal probably cost me a few minutes. I've got H3 race wheels, so they might have helped the ride feel extra rough. When I was in the aero bars, I was shaking so hard I couldn't read thedisplay on the Garmin. I did get hit in the cheek with a loose rock in the first chip seal section. I didn't see where it came from, but figure it must have been kicked up by a bike, as it stung but didn't cut me. Winds started to get heavier as the morning progressed, and did slow down the pace on the return to Montgomery. Three bottle hand-ups, and I thought the volunteers did a great job!
What would you do differently?:

Good ride!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Good T2. No issues!
Run
  • 2h 08m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I think the bike left me a little baked, as my run felt very slow and labored. Since I've not been on the bike much this fall, I'm okay with that. I did see a couple weird things during this run. I saw two different guys fiddling with their smart phones. They had the speakers on and were either playing the radio or music with them and adjusting the song or volum or something. I don't think I've every seen this before in a triathlon. The other unusual thing that happened was the lady running in front of me around the mile 7 point quick as a wink pulled her shorts down and ran into someone's drive-way to use the bathroom beside their truck. I'm not sure if the homeowners were watching from their living room windows, but, if they were, I can imagine how impressed they were by this. I think there were potra-potties every 10-minutes or so along the course. must have been a real emergency!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Been doing a fair amount of running, but very little swimming or biking. I think the lack of bike training was the biggest impact for me and slowed both my bike and run splits!

Event comments:

Overall, this is a good race. It's smaller than the Texas WTC 70.3 races and doesn't have the hype, but is well run and the course is great. It'd be a great race for first timers or those looking for a half to end the season with. This bike course has a lot in common with the IM-Woodlands bike course, so anyone wanting a race on those roads as IM prep should consider it!

Last updated: 2011-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:23 | 2112 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/62
Overall: 281/440
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Swim maps were not accurate, the actual course was a weird diamond shape, with four turns, swum clock-wise. They did have two "gates" set up at the beginning and end of the course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:50
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:53 | 56 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/62
Overall: 128/440
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course with one short out-and-back section. Once you leave Montgomery, the course takes you through the slightly rolling terrain of Sam Houston National Forrest, and then through rolling pastures until you get back to Montgomery. This year, repaving was in progress and about 25% of the course was very rough chip seal. The last half of the course is fairly open and typically sees moderate head winds.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/62
Overall: 175/440
Course: 3-lap course throught the grounds of the resort and some near-by subdivisions. Very flat, with one slight hill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-07 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed