General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri coming up Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-24 11:27 AM

New user

Subject: First tri coming up
My first tri is coming up May 7 in San Diego (Xterra Wetsuits Spring Sprint Triathlon) and I am really struggling with the swim. I am pretty good at the bike and run portions, but am considering getting swimming lessons to improve my technique and endurance. Good idea? Does anybody have any suggestions that may help me improve?

Thanks

2006-03-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #378586

Subject: RE: First tri coming up
Good luck! The day I ran my first tri, I was standing shin-deep in the water
waiting for the starting gun thinking "that buoy doesn't look that far out - no problem".
THEN, as the gun fired and everyone jumped into the water it was like a pirahna attack.
Feet kicking your goggles off, people running into you, getting their arms tangled in your feet etc. By the time I rounded the first buoy my mantra was "don't drown and you are home-free!"
:-)

So, my advice would be twofold - get some open water training if you aren't already (you never know whether it is going to be calm or rough,) It is better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Second - whether your are training at the pool or in open water, try to swim with a friend or two (in the same lane if you are at the pool. Have them swim next to or in front of you so that you are mentally prepared for a fraction of the chaos you will experience when the starting gun goes off.

Bottom line - Have fun! In my limited experience, Tri people are awesome and will encourage you the entire way.

2006-03-27 9:12 AM
in reply to: #378586

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: First tri coming up
Lessons can only help. Also, looking at your training logs, you need to get in the pool more, like 3x a week.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First tri coming up Rss Feed