General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pool time vs. real tri time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-26 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri
Subject: pool time vs. real tri time

For those of you who have experienced the tri swim........ How would you compare your pool time to your actual tri time?

I wondered about this on a few levels- does having to turn around at the wall slow you down or speed you  up (no flip turns).  Add the adrenaline rush of race day and all the people...how does that effect your swim?  And how do you 'practice' for that?? 

91 days until my first tri

2006-03-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #379586

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: RE: pool time vs. real tri time
The measured distances for OW swims are notoriously inaccurate. Making comparisons is difficult unless the distance is accurately measured.
2006-03-26 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Most of my times in races have been faster by a minute or two. The distances are inaccurate in open water swims usually to the competitors advantage.
2006-03-26 8:38 AM

User image

Giver
On an accurately-measured course, I'm faster by about 5 seconds/100 yards if I'm wearing a wetsuit. But conditions and distances are so variable as to make comparisons alomost useless.
2006-03-26 8:43 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

let's see...

you swim in a pool, most likely with nobody or a few people in a lane swimming nicely.  A tri has a wave start with about 50 or so (maybe more, depending on the size) of your closest friends.  You'll get boxed in, swum over, whatever that may slow you down.

You have no lane lines.  You'll have to work on sighting to make sure you're going in the right direction, straight. 

Usually the swim is measured from buoy to buoy, and you ahve to run in and out, and the timer mats are out on the land.  

You may get attacked by a jellyfish and freak out (which yours truly did).

ah.  don't fret too much over it.  Just keep swimmin'!!  Relax and enjoy it.

2006-03-26 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
suziq_623 - 2006-03-26 7:38 AM

For those of you who have experienced the tri swim........ How would you compare your pool time to your actual tri time?

I wondered about this on a few levels- does having to turn around at the wall slow you down or speed you  up (no flip turns).  Add the adrenaline rush of race day and all the people...how does that effect your swim?  And how do you 'practice' for that?? 

My experience with the distances is the same as the others. I also seem to come out of the water a couple minutes faster than my pool time. One thing you mentioned was the adrenaline of race day which got me once a couple years ago. I went out too fast and paid a price for it. I spent all my energy in the first half of the swim and didn't feel better until sometime during the run (sprint distance). I now go out in a more controlled (not slow) pace and pick it up as I go along. I see numerous people make the same mistake I did - go out too strong and struggle to finish the swim. Just my $.02 Good luck in that race.

2006-03-26 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got caught with the adrenaline rush in my first tri a few weekends ago. I told myself "start slow, there is lots of race left" But I went out too fast, lost my breath, and had a really tough time. It slowed me down substantially. Ces't la vie - the rest of the race was good, and now I know that I really DO need to slow down and take a second to relax in the water, or risk missing the fun on race day. Hope this adds some perspective, too - good luck with your first race!!!

Megz
2006-03-26 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Faster in open water every time. Disatnce, wet suit, race frenzy or what ever but the open water in good conditions (no chop or big waves) is usually faster by 10 sec or more per 100.
2006-03-26 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Last year, I was always slower racing than swimming. The swim part was hard for me and I often was a tourist and not a racer. Swim distances are off so comparing race to race 100/yd pace is almost useless as is from year to year, since course is not the same, waves/chop etc. all are different.

I hope this year to be the same in the pool and in races. I swim to the right, no push offs, but I will be have my wetsuit. This year I will have a lot more confidence.

2006-03-27 1:08 PM
in reply to: #379623

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
I'll double on on Lucy's comments. ....   eg, just yesterday, had  a 750m ocean swim, has been raining for a month with lots of mud runoff to the ocean, so vis was nill.  All 160 racers started in knee deep water with shore break towards the first triangle course bouy.  Lot's of elbows, feet in your face, contact, not to mention not being able to see the bouy due to the water chop / wave rollers.  Did I mention no wall to push off of every 25 or 50m for a free 5m ride vs ocean currents moving you sideways or backwards??  the saltwater in the mouth vs clean pool water??  for me, there is no comparison,  my pool times are better than my open water ocean times.  i've never had the opportunity to TRI swim in a lake or with a wetsuit.....but image i would still be faster in the pool with the wall pushes every 20 or 30 secs.....
2006-03-27 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
My actual open water swim time is probably faster than in the pool because of race-day adrenaline, wetsuit, etc. However I usually net out the same distance swim much slower in open water because of current and getting off course, sighting, etc.  My advice would be to get in as much open water swimming as you can before your first o.w. tri.  It will build your confidence and help with sighting and staying on course - which can really wreck your time.   Also, in the pool, your body gets accustomed to taking a 'break' every 25 meters or so when you turn at the wall.  It's very different when you are in a lake or ocean swimming without the little break every minute or so. 

2006-03-27 1:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
As long as we are talking about open water swims... I have questions.

My tri's will be in a lake. Do any of you have any lake experiences to share?

In a picture I saw the other day of a lake swim, it looked like the first 10 or 15 leaders are really swimming, and everyone else has their head above water, looking around! Was that just a freak moment in time, or are you spending a lot of time looking around? Are there any disqualifications or deductions for stopping and popping your head out like there are in swim meets? Are officials looking to make sure you to a proper stroke, or does anything go?

And a last question that makes me chuckle to myself. I hear you can do any stroke... has anyone seen the backstroke in a triathon swim? It's my strength.

Thanks.
2006-03-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #380558

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, Indiana

Lisa,

I like lake swims better for the most part because of land marks you can identify with besides the swim markers.  Not as much current in most small bodies of water.

Yes, I have experience in the past with a swimmer who would do the butterfly stroke when he had to site for the turn arounds.  It seemed to work for him?

2006-03-27 3:14 PM

User image

Buttercup

I'm sure I swim faster in the open water simply due to adrenaline and it's a race (I don't race in the pool). However, my times don't always reflect my faster stroke/increased effort because the ocean is in motion and I'm not swimming a fixed distance like I am in the pool.

Imagine starting a swim in the far left lane of your pool (lane 1); your goal is to follow the black line and reach the end of lane 1 as quickly as possible. However, some force is shoving you over to the next lane. Then to the next lane (3). You can't really see the end of your starting lane but you keep swimming forward and back towards your starting lane. You manage to get back over to lane 2 but a wave comes along and pushes you to lane 4. Get the idea?

You practice by doing it. Get in the open water and practice.

suziq_623 - 2006-03-26 7:38 AM

2006-03-27 3:25 PM

User image

, Texas
My one and only OW tri swim was considerably slower than my pool pace. I spent way too much time navigating and trying to figure out how to not swim over people.

It was quite comical and went like this:
1) Swim up to a group and then breast stroke to find a new line.
2) Swim the crawl again (the group I was trying to get by was now 30 ft in front of me)
3) Repeat #1 and #2

I only passed about 4 or 5 people and was probably in the last 10% of my swim wave which was about exactly where I started.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pool time vs. real tri time Rss Feed