General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer...need some help, please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-29 6:32 PM

User image

Subject: First timer...need some help, please!
Hi! I am new to the sport and have a couple of questions. I have been running for years and just got my bike in October. I am now training for a triathalon in June and I need some tips on how to improve my bike time. I did a 200 mile ride in Jan. but it was casual, so I know the 12 miles will not be a problem for me, I just need to get faster and get some power. I have only been able to maintain a speed of 18mph for about 3 miles, and then my speed is all over the place, never getting above 20mph. Any hints would be great, I appreciate your time and thank you for your help!

2006-03-29 7:48 PM
in reply to: #383013

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: First timer...need some help, please!

I'm sure that you'll soon be told "Ride Lots" or "Time in the Saddle".  Both of which are true but what you need to do is build a solid base and then start adding in tempo rides/hills/interval training.  Biking is my worst part of the tri and I'm at the same point as you.  If I remember correctly, Bear suggest you build up to 100 miles a week/400 miles a month before working on speed.  So, that's my goal for the year, consistently average 400 miles a month or more and to start working in other types of workouts.

I also recommend downloading a training plan and follow the plan.  If you have the money, get a gold membership and use Mike Ricci's services.

Ernie 

2006-03-29 8:33 PM
in reply to: #383013

User image

Regular
Grand Prairie, Texas
Subject: RE: First timer...need some help, please!
The bike is probably my strongest point. Most folks have an average ride MPH between 17 and 18 MPH. If you can do the distance, to increase the speed/power, work on a series of workouts:

1: Shorter rides, maybe 20 to 25 miles but include several to many all out sprints to the next (insert landmark here) but make this sprint distance a good, worthy distance. Repeat. Include several "rest" breaks to regain your legs by just spinning, not making any notes about how fast you're going. This interval training will increase your speed and strength.

2: Enjoy the long ride. Keep your long ride (insert distance here) to allow you to maintain your base, but to also just enjoy the ride. Take a group ride, just be sure you're not caught up with the local gear-heads that want to crank out 22 MPH for a billion miles.

3: Work on your form, aero bars?? Wind resistence. Have your form check to make sure what energy you do have to ride is going to the pedals, not "wasted" with poor form or inefficient form. This would also include some close contact riding to ensure come race day, you have experience going fast in turns, can be comfortable coming out of aero bars, can manage most situations from quick riding.

Enjoy,

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First timer...need some help, please! Rss Feed