General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help selecting a new bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-26 9:12 AM

Subject: help selecting a new bike
I know, I know...I need to test ride before I buy, but any one willing to share stories/preferences. I think ultimately I will be doing longer (1/2 IM and IM distance) and my LBS owner says stick with carbon/titanium because aluminum will be more uncomfortable over the longer distances.
Discuss

2004-05-26 9:39 AM
in reply to: #27303

Champion
Subject: RE: help selecting a new bike
I've ridden everything over the past 30 years. Aluminum is a bit stiffer than the other materials. I like it because of the way the stiffness seems to flex less when climbing out of the saddle...I feel faster. My newest ride is a tri-specific Cannondale Ironman 2000, aluminum with a carbon fork. My own opinion on the umcomfortable issue is that it's not an issue. My other Cannondale road bike is aluminum/aluminum, and I don't feel any more discomfort with the aluminum fork.

Whatever path you choose, pay the most attention to the components (shifters especially) and the wheels. If you can get Shimano 105 or Ultegra shifters as a minimum, you won't go wrong. And get something with nice lightweight wheels. Reducing rotating weight is the best way to make a fast bike. A pound off the weight of a wheel is equivalent to 5 pounds off the weight of the frame.

Max

Edited by max 2004-05-26 9:40 AM
2004-06-03 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
I own an alum cannondale, too. I've not heard of the "uncomfortable" issue, mine's a joy to ride. It was originally a touring bike which I've converted into a tri-bike. The best advice I could give is to purchase one for the frame and components, since you can change practically everything else. The components are just very expensive if you purchase them separately, they seem to be less expensive when packaged with a frame.

Once you've got the frame and components, the next item is to spend the money on the parts that create the most centripital (sp?) force, the wheels, tires, tubes, and crank. Keep the weight down in these areas to help with acceleration and climbing speed.
2004-06-06 1:26 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I think that your local bike shop guy is just trying to sell you a ti or carbon bike which are both more expensive than aluminum bikes. A good aluminum bike is just as comfortable as any other materiel bike as long as it is fitted for you...but that goes for any kind of bike. Aluminum is light and stiff which is great for acceleration and climbing. And, most aluminum bikes come with a carbon fork to lessen road vibration. I still ride an old aluminum Pecco Eclipse (similar to Cannondale) with an aluminum fork and love it.
2004-06-11 10:53 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
newbie here -just brought my new bike home today- I was having a hard time committing /deciding etc...narrowed it down to 2, and then today took the plunge for my cannondale -just felt like MY bike- fit,comfort,look etc......test rode/tried trek, specialized, fuji....made a bit of a project out of it-
similar components came down to feel I guess ?
2004-06-12 3:30 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Here is my 2 cents. When I purchased my bike about 8 years ago I was looking for long distance comfort and efficency, not speed. I was riding a aluminum touring bike at the time so everything was fast to me. I found the aluminum bikes to be a little quicker when you changed speeds and very nimble. On the downside I also found them a little unforgiving. Get a little tired and they felt like they would get away from me. I found the carbon fiber Trek 2300 to be to my liking. Lacked a litte in the hills and sprinting, but the rode like a Cadilac. Remember I was looking for efficent longevity. Love the bike still. The biggest dislike I had with aluminum is the test rides seemed to send every little stone and bump right up to the seat, making for a long day. Hope this helps and hope I did not offend aluminum fans.

Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help selecting a new bike Rss Feed