Mesilla Valley Track Club
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 54s
Overall Rank = 25/250?
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15, showered ate oatmeal and a bannana and had a cup of coffee.
Event warmup:

Slow jog for 5 min. light stretching and walked around transition talking to people.
Swim
  • 11m 15s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim came last. I had gone all out so was pretty whipped by the time I hit the water. However, even though my pace was not much different from my workout pace I was breathing pretty comfortably and pulling pretty well. My legs were just dead weight though and I could feel them dragging. I did drop one person on the swim, which is a new experience for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I would not have sacrificed anything else in the race for a slightly better 500m swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

T1 was actually transition from run to bike. I was breathing hard comming into T1 after a hard effort on the run. I had some difficulty getting into my cycling shoes and one was on a little funky but I just left it because at least it was on.

Don't know. It was really a pretty good transition except for the thing with my shoe but I'm not sure how to avoid that, it just went on a little funny. I do which I felt a little smoother in transition but it will come with practice I'm sure.
Bike
  • 41m 44s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 22.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really hammering the bike but started dehydrating because I had lost my waterbottle on the rough road early in the race. I kept passing and being passed by a fellow New Mexico Outlaw. It was a blast, we were tearing each other up. It was a good ride excpet for me drying out. It got to where I couldn't spit past my own shoulder

I would have remembered the little velcro strap that holds my water bottle in it's cage on bumpy rides.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

T2 was transition from bike to swim, always an easy one.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was crapy. It was the really bad section of the begining of the bike leg. I was afraid I was going to break an ankle stumbling on the bumpt/disentigrating pavement in a few places.

However, this was the FASTEST run split I have ever had. I went out too fast but I was trying to keep up with the guy I am always competing with. However, he went out WAY too fast and blew up before the half way point. I passed him and hit the half way mark at a blazing, for me, 6:42 per mile pace and then slowed it down a bit to keep from blowing out.

In retrospect I could have gone a fraction slower overall but I'm not sure if this would have really acomplshed anything in the end and it wasn't at all evident during the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Laughed and joked with team mates and drank a lot of cytomax ASAP!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm a fricken Clydesdale and I finished 25th overall. The next closest Clyde finished 44th overall. I think my heart would have exploded if I went any faster.

Actually, I could probably step up my run training but I am still in my build phase. I don't start including speed work for another three or four weeks.

Event comments:

I get spoiled at some of the events in my region. A few of them have post race pasta and others have music and some more excitement. This was just your average no frills sprint but there were a lot of people and several team mates so it was still a good time.

Last updated: 2006-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:15 | 500 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 0/250?
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: 10 lane 50m pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:44 | 15.53 miles | 22.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: About the first 2 miles of the course contained all the turns and they were very rough, basically crumbling pavement with multiple potholes that had tar thrown in them and had then deformed. The guy I compete against wiped out on one of the corners and DNF'ed. I didn't see the wreck because I was already ahead but I heard he hit a fence and got a bad case of road rash. I'm hoping he is ok. My water bottle bounced right out if the cage and I was left with nothing to drink the whole time.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:59 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Course: The course had a couple turns and was an out and back. Nothing special, no shade but it was a cool day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes