United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 12s
Overall Rank = 116/286
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 22/43
Pre-race routine:

Usual nutrition - Cliff Bar, Whey Gatorade Mix, and Red Bull.

I arrived around 90 minutes before the race, which meant a 6 am wake up (real feel of 5 am with daylight savings). This was my first ever multi-sport race so I wanted to get everything set up ahead of time. I was really looking as today as an "intro" to multi-sport or the first step towards TRI races. I didn't have a single time goal and figured I would just take the race as it came.

I have a decent running background, but have spent very little time on the bike. My assumption was I would be able to handle my own on the 1st 5k, get smoked on the bike, and pass a few on the 2nd 5k.

I have to say that I 'anticipated' this race as much as I have any marathon.
Event warmup:

Some light running and stretching.
Run
  • 22m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

After some initial nerves before the start, we were off. In the first 1/4 mile I thought I was in trouble. My legs were ready to revolt as they had zero interest in running fast today. Actually, the truth is I hate the 5k! I do not enjoy what is technically sprinting for me. That being said, I pushed through the first mile to a surprising 7:05. After that I slowed up a bit and settled in. Nothing was going to change, the race was on. After 3.1 miles I crossed the mat in 22:12 - a 5k PR by over 1 minute!

The question was, could I keep going strong as I had no idea what the bike would entail.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Pretty good first 5k - PR!
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

As this was my first ever 'transition' I had no expectations. I don't have bike shoes so I didn't have to change shoes. The only thing that took any time was putting on my bike gloves. I considered not wearing them for the bike, but I do remember that you shouldn't try anything new on a race. So, I am sure that the stupid gloves cost me the same amount of time as bike shoes. Anyway, once I had the helmet and gloves on, I was off - running to the mount area.

Not wear gloves.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 14s
  • 19.88 miles
  • 19.17 mile/hr
Comments:

As I stated before, I had zero expectations for the bike. This was my first ever competitive bike ride. My only hope was not to crash and not to get in someone's way. After a slow start at the mount area, I was off. It took me a little bit to get my 'cages' set around my running shoes.

The one thing that I never really thought about before today is how much wind is a factor in the biking. The ride into the wind was much slower than with the wind. Makes sense, but it is MUCH more a factor with biking than running. It makes as much as a 4-5+ mile an hour difference.

About 3 miles into the ride, I was passed a little, but nothing like I had assumed. At this time I also started to find my groove. I don't know how to describe the rest of the ride. I actually passed a few and was passed by the faster group from the 2nd wave (started 5 minutes later). At one point around mile 15 I was feeling very happy with my ride and was doing over 24 miles per hour. While I was thinking that I am really riding quite well, I was passed by about 3 people like I was standing still - oh well!

I finished the ride pretty strong, but I know I could have been faster if I had a better understanding of how to ride in corners and turns. This was by far the weakest part of my riding.

No idea - probably try training on the bike and getting a better understanding or riding principals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

No idea about T2. I was just trying to get feeling back in my legs.
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I got off the bike, I had zero idea what was happening. I could see my legs moving, but I couldn't feel them! It seemed like everything was in slow motion for the first mile. Somewhere after the first mile or so, I started to remember this sport called running and I picked up the pace and ran 7:10 for mile 2. At this point, I was doing most of the passing. Mile 3 was horrible and I felt like I was going to die! When I finally approached the finish I had nothing left and there was no final sprint. I was just happy it was over.

As an overall assessment, I finished the bike ride 25th in my age group and the race 22nd overall in age group. So, looking at the numbers, I finished the first 5k in 29th, the bike in 22nd, the last 5k in 15th. This must mean that I held my ground on the bike and made up ground on the final 5k.

Not sure - both 5k's were PRs.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing in particular - waited for my friend to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More experience.

Event comments:

Great introduction race for me! Lot's of fun. Overall, I have to say I am hooked. Now it is time to learn to swim. :)

I've already signed up for a TRI in June and have my eye on a HIM in September.

Last updated: 2006-03-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:12 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/43
Overall: 0/286
Performance: Good
Something like 7:05, 7:15, 7:10 ish.
Course: A couple of loops and S curves around the base. Very boring course over broken gravel and concrete.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:02:14 | 19.88 miles | 19.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/43
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course was through the backroads of SE VA Beach. The roads were pretty curvey with some wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/43
Performance: Good
I think first mile was 7:20 - got faster.
Course: Same course as first 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-02 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Virginia Duathlon

2006-04-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #386323

Regular
Subject: RE: Virginia Duathlon
Congratulations on doing so well on your first multi-sport race!
2006-04-13 8:28 AM

User image

Awesome Tony!

You can officially stop feeling guilty about using this website   Not only does it sound like you had a great time, but you did absolutely great!  Your times were very impressive...Looking forward to seeing more out of you on the tri/du circuit

Ivan

2006-04-14 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Good job on your Du!!!!   And cograts on your PR on the 5k!!!!!         

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Duathlon Rss Feed