70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Registered the day before.
Pasta dinner w 1/2 glass of wine the night before, lots of water and gatorade.
Oatmeal and toast w butter in the morning, oj, water, gatorade.

Event warmup:

Drove to the start, hung out with Rachel for a 20 min, did a few warmup strides just for about 3 min or so, and very little stretching.

Run
  • 1h 41m 28s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Started just a little fast: two 7:05 miles, but I don't think it affected me later in the race, after that I just kind of settled in the 7:20 area.
Stayed strong the whole way (unlike last week's 15-miler). Music really helped.
I did not realize that there was a detour and the course was longer, so I was kind of concerned when I missed both mile markers 11 and 12 and then at 13 I saw that last 3 miles took me over 27 mins. And especially when my finish time was 1:41 :( I thought "there is no way I slowed down that much!" But when after realizing what happened, I am satisfied with my performance! :)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe if I held back a little in the beginning and started in 7:20s, I could have conserved more for the finish, but I doubt it...
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little

Event comments:

Fun race! Once again I love 1/2 marathon distance! It's long enough that I don't have to go at lung burning pace of 5K or 10K, and yet short enough that I don't hit the wall or play mental games at mile 20. Just run nice steady tempo pace, and before you know it, you are half way done, and then next thing you know is finish line :)
One of these times I need to pick a good couse and focuse on 1/2 marathon training to try to get a decent PR, I think I can do way better.
One complaint:
No food for vegetarians at the finish line!!! :( Only bratwurst and burgers... Really disappointing, unfair and insulting even!
Beer was diluted and nasty! :(
So not much for after race ativities...

Last updated: 2006-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:28 | 13.8 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
All mile splits between 7:05 and 7:28 - consistent AHR 176 MHR 184
Course: Course runs from downtown Littleton, up north towards downtown Denver, most of the course is on the concrete bike path along the river, with first mile and last two miles on the streets. Course is mostly flat with a few rolling hills and one steep hill at mile 12. It was pretty windy. (~7-10mph) Best part: the night before the race somebody commited suicide in the river at about mile 11 of the course. There was a corpse in the water, police had to block that part of the course, so they had to come up with a detour on the fly, which ended up making a course almost a mile longer. Very good support and mile marders on the course except for those last 3 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-03 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Platte River Half Marathon

2006-04-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: #386584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: RE: Platte River Half Marathon
You had a great race. Way to go. The re-route was pretty strange. I ran almost all of miles 11 and 12 trying to figure out why my splits seemed to be off so badly.
2007-04-02 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
You and "the Dime" are just impressive!!!  If that's what you do when you're just out enjoying the run, a hard effort at this distance would be utterly amazing.  Very nice run
2007-04-02 3:24 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)

Your running amazes me - I'd love to see you really train for one and try to PR. Ha ha, I can't even imagine your "lung burning" 5k pace is when my lungs burn just thinking about your WARM UP pace!

LOL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Platte River Half Marathon Rss Feed