General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-27 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Weight loss tips
Since quite a few of us are trying, or continuing, to lose weight, I though I'd start this thread with some things that we may tend to overlook in our quest for lightness (of body, at least).

Never lay down, when you can sit; never sit when you can stand. Never stay still if you can move. Take stairs instead of elevators/escalators. Park farther from the store and walk. Instead of going out for lunch, pack your lunch and go outside. Don't give up your favorite 'comfort' food, just cut the portion down. Drink plenty of water; 1 glass of water before a meal will make you feel full faster, and you won't each quite as much. Hide the sugary snacks in a cabinet or drawer, and leave the healthy one on the counter in reach.

What else?

2004-05-27 3:50 PM
in reply to: #27717

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: Weight loss tips
-When you go out to eat, pack up half your portion before you take a single bite.
-Eat often (5-6 meals/day)
-Lots of exercise is key, of course. But it's not a license to eat extra (ie, remember your cal deficit)
-Don't ever have a cal deficit greater than 1000 cals in a day (at risk of slowing your metabolism). 500 is ideal. Slow and steady wins the race (for real this time) and doesn't leave you a big pile of muscle-less mush when you're done!
2004-05-28 6:34 AM

Richmond, Tx
I like your thoughts. I have a question. I have been searching for info on how to calculate how much calories are burned in a day without exercise. I came across Stevens software which in my case said my daily caloric use was 3250. I thought that if I could cut my intake to 2000 a day I could lose about 10 lbs a month. However I don't know how accurate these calculators are. Any suggestions?
2004-05-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #27825

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
bandd - 2004-05-28 4:34 AM

I thought that if I could cut my intake to 2000 a day I could lose about 10 lbs a month. However I don't know how accurate these calculators are. Any suggestions?

Yeah, DON'T DO IT! That's far too drastic a drop if you're burning 3250 per day. Nutritionists recommend not cutting more than 500 calories per day, as any more than this can trick the body into thinking it's starvation time. Your body will then attempt to store everything it can, you'll catabolize muscle, and you'll end up bouncing off that diet and gaining any weight lost back very quickly. Your weight loss goal should be no more than 1.5 pounds per week.
2004-05-28 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Strange for me is that when I've tried to be strict and count things and plan meals that I haven't had much in the way of results. Now, I'm having tremendous progress by not doing much work at all, but by doing just a couple things:

1. being consistent with workouts. i haven't increased my hours per week, just doing something everyday.
2. buying only fresh food and buying enough to make lunches/breakfasts/snacks from home
3. cutting down on sugars. For me this includes mostly alcohol and also raw sugar in my many coffees per day. Doing this I've found that craving for food in general is drastically reduced.
2004-05-28 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Stick to the outside aisles at the supermarket. The inside aisles are where the processed, calorie dense foods are.

2004-05-28 9:24 AM

I enjoy reading your tips. I always park as far away as I can at the store(unless I am in a hurry).

I also have a favorite junk food, so I have my wife hide it. When I really want some I have to ask her for it. I have found that I eat far less junk food, when it isn't readily available.

Instead of calling co-workers on the phone or e-mailing, I will get up and walk to their desk ( I work in a big building).

2004-05-28 9:33 AM

I have a similar mantra Joe. When I am waiting for someone for example, I pace, repeating "don't sit when you can stand, don't stand when you can walk, don't walk when you can run". It does help. Also, if there is a snack food that I am simply craving too much to pass up, I buy the single serving size and bring it home for whenever I want it. It is more expensive in $$ but less detrimental to my hips! I have infact (though not often) actually thrown it away because the craving has left.
2004-05-28 10:08 AM

User image

Dallas, TX
The thing that's helped me the most:

Changes that I make are ones that I can live with forever... and I don't make drastic changes; I make small steps toward where I want to be. I don't "diet" for the purpose of "looking good this summer" or anything that temporary. My diet is just my diet - I just make small changes to it.

I also think there's a lot to be said for internal dialog. When a coworker brings donughts into the office, I say to myself "I'm the kind of person that doesn't eat those"

I'm the kind of person that works out even when I'm feeling unmotivated.

I'm the kind of person that can do this.

etc

-Keith
2004-05-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: #27825

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Bandd- Here's a calculator.... http://www2.vhihealthe.com/topic/calneed;jsessionid=AWVJGKYU1LUJSCT... Be brutally honest about the amount of activity you do over the course of the day (leave out your average exercise...). Then, on top of that #, add the cals burned during your workout (which can be found at caloriesperhour.com, it has everything from sex to bowling). Now, that'll be how many cals you burn in a day, subtract 500 from that and that is how many cals you should eat. Some places will tell you to subtract as much as 1000 from that, but if you do, you'll be losing just as much muscle as fat.

Believe me, DO NOT think that cutting more cals=faster results. It actually equals muscle loss, screwed up metabolism and spending endless amounts of time and energy trying to fix the damage you've done to your body. If you're training for a triathlon, you really can't afford to screw up your body like that. Remember, what your body does for you everyday and take good care of it!
2004-05-28 9:23 PM

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
Portion size is key for me. I try to 5-6 times a day and eat a portion of protien and a portion of carbs.. I read once that a closed fist size is a good indicator for what a portion should look like. The visual really helps me "see" what I am eating.

2004-05-29 7:48 AM

Richmond, Tx
kim,
Thanks. The calculator you gave me is much more accurate and showed that I probably am using less than I originally thought. Thanks everyone else. I am about 30 lbs overweight and I need to be patient and change my eating style rather than go on a "diet". One more question..in keeping with the "500" calories a day..does that include or exclude my workouts?
2007-08-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: #27842

User image

Northern NY
What a great idea! Thanks for the idea!
2007-08-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: #27962

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

bandd - 2004-05-29 6:48 AM kim, Thanks. The calculator you gave me is much more accurate and showed that I probably am using less than I originally thought. Thanks everyone else. I am about 30 lbs overweight and I need to be patient and change my eating style rather than go on a "diet". One more question..in keeping with the "500" calories a day..does that include or exclude my workouts?

I'm not kim, but I can answer this for you.  Your defecits include exercise.  So if you are burning 500 cals a day extra with exercise, you don't need to eat any less to still have a defecit.    Basically you want your output (cals burned) to be more than your input (cals eaten) to lose weight.  Try to keep this between 500 and 1000.   I find that most people (me included) tend to overestimate calories burned and underestimate calories eaten.  So shoot for a little over 500.  Maybe 750 defecit.  

And here's my tip:   Don't let yourself starve or ignore an intense craving.  It might just build until you binge.  Control the portions on your treats rather than making them off limits. 

2007-08-27 11:56 PM
in reply to: #27842

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
marmadaddy - 2004-05-28 9:18 AM

Stick to the outside aisles at the supermarket. The inside aisles are where the processed, calorie dense foods are.

i hadnt realized that, wow
2007-08-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #27844

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

strammer - 2004-05-28 10:24 AM I enjoy reading your tips. I always park as far away as I can at the store(unless I am in a hurry). I also have a favorite junk food, so I have my wife hide it. When I really want some I have to ask her for it. I have found that I eat far less junk food, when it isn't readily available. Instead of calling co-workers on the phone or e-mailing, I will get up and walk to their desk ( I work in a big building).

I too have my hubby hide the junk treats, that way I really have to want one to ask him to retreive it. I also have informed all my friends and family that I have no will power over certain foods. So they don't give them to me. My running partner gave me a gift after my last Tri for doing so well. One package, not the whole box, of Nutty Bars wrapped as a gift. She said that she knew I would eat the whole box so she just got me one. Made for a great treat and no way to go nuts and eat the whole box. So I guess portion control is truly the key for me.

2007-09-07 3:00 PM
in reply to: #943798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Upstate, SC
Sensible eating. I was know for eating two or three servings. A doc friend of mine encouraged me to eat a regular serving and then look at my watch. Wait 10 minutes before getting another serving and you won't be hungry anymore. Something about the stomach telling the brain you are full .... This has really worked for me. I now try to eat every 3 hours and try to eat as close to natural as possible.

The best thing is I allow myself 2 cheat meals per week. Anything goes on these. If I want to eat a large pizza or a plate of enchiladas, I do it with no guilt because I know it is planned. i wouldn't be able to maintain the discipline for the other meals if I didn't have these reprieves!

Kevin
2007-09-08 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
I skimmed this through and I don't think anyone mentioned one key thing:

water!

20 glasses a day absolute minimum, if in hot climate your drinking should be about constant. and not only before meal (just found water from original thread...)

funny thing is that many foods that were just about banned for weightloss purpose are now really the good ones - like nuts, almonds and peanut butter. funny.

www.menshealth.com has really good tips and stuff for weightloss. lots of stuff about "powerfoods"

have you guys seen the tri story in menshealth. pretty good reading.
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=gu...
2007-09-15 10:01 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

holy thread ressurection,

I thought JOEINCO might be back......   

2015-05-22 7:26 AM
in reply to: Guest

, Zuid-Holland
Thanks for all the comments above.. Really helpful thread about Weight loss.
2015-06-05 5:16 AM
in reply to: berennicole

User image

You said it! Had this thread not been resurrected, I would not have found it. I'm trying to lose weight, myself, and I've managed to cut sugar off of my diet for the time being. I need to start standing up more often. I work in a skräckfilmsbutiken (linked to translation, it's a horror movie store) where I review movies and cult classics day in and day out, and I haven't had time for exercise in a long time! (it's not an excuse, but still... lol)

2015-08-10 10:32 AM

I am also very thankful that i found this thread! Due to my deskjob (sitting 40h per week) i gained a lo of weight. I will definetely try these advices and hope they work for me!
2015-08-12 6:20 AM

User image

Good tips! But I have a doubt, I'm aged 32 and weighing 280 pounds. I have tried many tips like this to reduce my weight, it had reduced- but not much I wanted to. This overweight is causing me serious health issues at this age itself. I'm considering a men's weight loss support system in Toronto called Harvey Brooker ( http://www.harveybrooker.com/) for a weight loss program. Do you have any suggestions on weight loss programs? Will that be helpful for me to reduce my weight?
2015-08-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: Horton12

Veteran
Ohio
I don't have any experience with weight loss groups but I do remember reading an article years ago when i was in weight loss mode...they listed being part of a "community" whether it be a formal weight loss group or an informal group, as one of three factors that were shown to be helpful in losing weight. So I would say go for it.

One thing not mentioned earlier in the posts, that I felt was important to my weight loss was attitude. Until I truly BELIEVED I could lose the weight and COMMITTED to doing it it never happened. I hear many people (myself included) say "boy i would really like to loose XX pounds". I hate to say it, but if you really want to loose the weight, it takes more of a commitment than that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight loss tips Rss Feed