General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-07 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
Subject: Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area
I am heading to my parents house in Garden City with my 7 year old son next week for spring break. They do have 2 small pools in their subdivision I can swim in. I am interested in trying some open water swimming. I am thinking about either Murrells Inlet or Garden City beach. I do not have a wetsuit, I am hoping I can stand the water. Murrells Inlet looks like it would be really easy to swim in, I may need something like aqua sox for my feet due to shells ? Any ideas / suggestions...and I leave Sunday and I won't check the net after that, so hurry up and tell me something....please.

2006-04-09 4:24 PM
in reply to: #390589

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
Subject: RE: Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area
ok no takers, guess I'll wing it....
2006-04-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #390589

User image

Veteran
Laurens County, SC
Subject: RE: Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area
I ended up finding a great pool/recreation center to swim in. The outdoor pools and the ocean and Murrells Inlet was probably too cold without a wetsuit, which I do not have yet. Also, in Murrellls Inlet there was a lot of jellyfish, perhaps it was just the time of the year ?

Anyway, if you are in the Myrtle Beach area and need to find a great place to work out...check out pepper geddings rec center. They have a 50 meter indoor pool, only they had 25 meters blocked off for laps and the other side for kids/water aerobics. They also had a great weight room, a cardio room (bikes/treadmills/ellipticals etc with tv's), and just outside is several baseball fields and a football field (Doug Shaw Stadium, I think it is the home field for MB High School) with a track. You can use all of the facilities for a measly 3.00....it was awesome. Here is their website, they have certain times for lap swimming, so call before you go. http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/recreation/peppergeddings/index.ht...

Hope this helps. I have been to ther gyms in that area, golds, etc and they usually run 6-8 dollars a day and they only had weights and some treadmills, so this is a bargain.....

Hope this helps someone.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area Rss Feed