General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chronic bursitis. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-07 10:59 AM

sioux city. IA
Subject: chronic bursitis.
I finally went to see a sports physician about the consideral pain underneath my shoulder blade. and he told me it was in most likelyhood chronic bursitis and there is nothing that can be done surgically. He told me to take 2 aleve morning and night and that they may help get some of the irritation out of there. On a somewhat positive note he did say that even though i may have considerable pain that swimming would not cause any more damage so he said go ahead and start swimming. Has anybody had this or heard of somebody having this and did they find a cure? dont know if I want to take aleve everyday for the rest of my live!! He did mention poss. a cortisone shot but that would only be temp relieve.

2006-04-07 12:45 PM
in reply to: #390785

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
Subject: RE: chronic bursitis.
I played a lot of volleyball in my teens and early 20's (when I could still jump), and developed bad bursitis in my shoulder. I went and saw an orthopedic surgeon who gave me a cortisone shot into the shoulder. It helped a lot. I continued to play and did not have any major pain after that.
Recently, I have been dealing with trochanter bursitis and I took a series of cortisone pills before a half-marathon. That also seemed to help and I did not have much pain in my hip during the run.
Good luck1
2006-04-07 1:00 PM
in reply to: #390785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Subject: RE: chronic bursitis.
I second the cortisone shot. I had both bursitis and tendonitis around my rotator cuff, and months of physical therapy didn't do anything. But a shot and some rest helped considerably. Personally, I wouldn't swim on it until it hurts less.

amanda
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chronic bursitis. Rss Feed