General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle computer wire broke - can it be fixed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-12 7:59 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: Cycle computer wire broke - can it be fixed?
Stinks! I went for my ride yesterday and noticed that the wire from my cycle computer to the sensors had broken. Didn't realize how much I rely on that.

I tried to splice the wires together - no luck - couldn't get a signal. I checked out the CatEye website - they do have replacement kits - but I have to replace it all - the sensors / wire / mount.

Do I have to do that? Anyone have luck fixing, or just replacing the wire?

Thanks in advance.

2006-04-12 8:28 AM
in reply to: #394303

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Cycle computer wire broke - can it be fixed?

how did you splice them together?

Try stripping back about an inch and a half of insulation from each lead, then lay them parallel with 1/2" overlap  so that the wire continues in a straight line (not like you would if using a wire nut).  Make sense?  Put a long shrink wrap tube on one wire and slide it away from the cut so you have room to work.  Gently twist the two overlapping sections together just enough to hold them in one place.  Use a soldering gun (okay), soldering iron (better) or pencil torch (best) to heat the wires, then apply soldier to the joint, making sure it coats and infuses into the joint.  The final product shouldn't look like a gob of solder on it, but rather it should appear tinned.  Slip the shrink wrap tube over the bare wire and shrink with a heat gun, making sure not to melt anything.

That joint should be better then the origional wire, so if that doesn't fix it, then nothing will.

2006-04-12 8:52 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
This is the very reason I have wireless computers on all my bikes.Laughing
2006-04-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #394344

User image

Master
New Jersey
vortmax - 2006-04-12 8:28 AM

how did you splice them together?

Try stripping back about an inch and a half of insulation from each lead, then lay them parallel with 1/2" overlap  so that the wire continues in a straight line (not like you would if using a wire nut).  Make sense?  Put a long shrink wrap tube on one wire and slide it away from the cut so you have room to work.  Gently twist the two overlapping sections together just enough to hold them in one place.  Use a soldering gun (okay), soldering iron (better) or pencil torch (best) to heat the wires, then apply soldier to the joint, making sure it coats and infuses into the joint.  The final product shouldn't look like a gob of solder on it, but rather it should appear tinned.  Slip the shrink wrap tube over the bare wire and shrink with a heat gun, making sure not to melt anything.

That joint should be better then the origional wire, so if that doesn't fix it, then nothing will.

I tried doing this while it was still attached to the bike. I've rewired some electrical things in the home, so I figured no problem. But, those wires are quite thin - couldn't get them to twist together. Today, I called the bike shop - they have the replacement for <$20 - I'll probably just go do that. Arrrgggghhh! One stupid little mistake. (Kinda odd I'm fretting about $20 but am looking to spend a couple grand on a new bike soon like that's no issue.)
2006-04-12 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Yep, just replace the mounting unit. It's not a big deal. Cateye's run about 15-20 bucks for the mount. It's cheaper than a tire. I expect my wiring to go south once in a while. I have the same mounts on all my bikes and just move the computer between them. I use an Enduro which has two wheel diameter settings.

The fact that these things are easy and cheap to replace (and interchangable) is why I use wired bike computers. I work with computers all day and expect them to break on occassion.

2016-09-05 2:00 AM
in reply to: runnerx

Hi everyone,

I have the Sigma 906 computer but the wires have been cut of at the mount. I have to solder it but I do not know where the black and where the ride wire must be placed?
Can anyone help me out with this?

2016-09-05 9:40 AM
in reply to: scarfacew3

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Wow, 2006 thread!  I'm guessing it's a 50-50 chance.  Try one way -- if it works, you're set.  If not, detach and try the other.

Also, if you're reading this thread at work, don't google images for Sigma 906.  You'll get a NSFW result not too far down the screen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle computer wire broke - can it be fixed? Rss Feed