General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-17 7:51 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Bike choice?
I have been researching and planning on buying my first road bike here soon.
I am torn between a road bike, or a tri bike.
My plan was to try to spend <$2000 before taxes.

That would should get me a Cervelo Dual, or Felt S22, or the entry level Guru tri bike.
I had not really looked at many road bikes seriously yet, but I know that I would not be buying a new equivilent to the 5900. It's not in my budget.

A guy in our local cycling club told me over the weekend that if I am interested he may sell his bike, a 2003 Trek 5900 62cm. A much higher end road bike than anything I have looked at. We are close in height, with him maybe 1/2 inch taller. (I'm 6'5")

He told me that his bike would be in my price range.
The only negative I can find on the 5900 is the fork is special somehow, and not interchangeable with most. Replacements must come from Trek, and are pricey.

Would you take the 2003 5900, or a newer lower end bike?
Decisions, decisions......

2006-04-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: #397931

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Bike choice?

The Cervelo Dual and Felt S22 are both good tri bikes for excellent prices. 

As for the 2003 Trek 5900, that would be a super buy for under 2K.  But remember that any so-called "super" deal is not a deal if the bike does not fit you.  You may be practically the same height as your buddy but your torsos may vary drastically.   If you do decide to buy it, bring it to a reputable bike shop and get fitted before buying it.  As for the fork, the "special" part you are referring to is probably the fact that once it has been cut to length for the previous rider, it cannot be "un-cut".  You can lower your bars but cannot raise them if you need to do that.

Personnally, I always buy new.  My take is "why chintz on something that I will be riding for at least 10 years?"   But, you may feel diffently.

2006-04-17 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Guru's offer custom geometry for no upcharge. If you go with the Guru, it will fit. I don't know how many other frames will be able to say that. If you are thinking about road bikes, the same applies to Guru's road bikes (their 105 speced ti roadie is a screaming deal)

I love my Guru.

(boxwood.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
boxwood.jpg (58KB - 7 downloads)
2006-04-17 6:28 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I just got done with a little bike shoppin...and had the best experience I can imagine.  From Sarnia, I'd recommend you take a 1/2 day to go to Bikesport Michigan (in Dearborn), and get a bike fit.  It's $150 and they will do an amazing amount of groundwork to determine the best frame / geometry for you. 

As an aside, I believe that starting with a bike brand in mind really compromises you right off the bat, as that brand may not be the best fit for you.  Getting a bike that doesn't fit will make you slower, more prone to injuries, more likely to be fatigued at the end of a ride (poorer performance), and more likely to have to invest in ANOTHER bike sooner than you think.  In my teeny skull, it makes sense that the fit process should LEAD you to the right frame and geometry...  It's easy to skip the fit though, because there are 'deals' in abundance, and the bike marketing machine convinces us ALL we need something sexy, and now. 

The only thing I'd add, as a footnote, is that Guru is one of the brands that you CAN say you want one of - before the fit - and be fairly certain you won't compromise your performance.  It's an excellent bike, and parts of it are custom, and it's got a pretty wide range it can fit.  The only drawback to Guru seems to be that you get a slightly lower shelf component set with it compared to bikes in the same price range.

2006-04-17 9:11 PM
in reply to: #398530

Master
Colorado
rkreuser - 2006-04-17 7:28 PM

As an aside, I believe that starting with a bike brand in mind really compromises you right off the bat, as that brand may not be the best fit for you.  Getting a bike that doesn't fit will make you slower, more prone to injuries, more likely to be fatigued at the end of a ride (poorer performance), and more likely to have to invest in ANOTHER bike sooner than you think.  In my teeny skull, it makes sense that the fit process should LEAD you to the right frame and geometry...  It's easy to skip the fit though, because there are 'deals' in abundance, and the bike marketing machine convinces us ALL we need something sexy, and now. 

Damn Rick.  Every time I think I have you figured out you go and post something like this.  This is some of the best advice I've heard yet

2006-04-18 9:33 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I am not set on a specific bike. I just know some of the bikes in the price range I am looking.
If I do choose to buy a new bike, I will definately get fit. I have been to Bikesport, and was happy with what I saw. I regularly do business not far from there, so they actually make sense for a LBS for me.

Infact your "get a fit first, then we'll talk about bikes" was exactly what they said.
It makes sense to me.

Thanks for the input.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choice? Rss Feed