General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida Challenge Triathlon - HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-19 5:49 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Florida Challenge Triathlon - HIM

I'm in for this one, my first half! It's OCT 21. My mom lives in Clermont so hopefully I'll have a chance to ride the course before then.

Hope to see a lot of you all there!

Here's the website.

2006-04-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #400746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Florida Challenge Triathlon - HIM

I would recommend riding that course if you can...it's a "challenge."

2006-04-20 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Oh great. I take it you don't mean "challenge" in a good way. Knowing a little about the area, I'm sure it's full of hills. Any info you have would be great!

2006-04-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: #402192

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL

It's a tough ride for flatlanders. The first 30 miles is rolling terrain then you hit Buckhill w/4 climbs and a few miles later is Sugarloaf. Sugarloaf is not very long but is steep (up to 11% grade) & since it comes in the last part of the ride many will end up walking their bikes up.

If you get a chance, try to ride Buckhill & Sugarloaf if you can't ride the rest of the course so you'll get an idea of the effort required. If you don't get to a chance to ride the bike, drive the course & get familiar with the hills.

It's a great race, last year was somewhat hampered by an approaching hurricane & created some issues but Sommer Sports does a great job...It's a hell of an accomplishment to complete it...just ask my legs!

2006-04-22 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I second what Peter said..and I'll be back to do it again this year! The bike course may be revised, depending on the outcome of some construction down there that made Sommersports rearrange the TriAmerica Oly bike course a couple of weeks ago. If so, I would guess that it will still be hilly.
2006-04-27 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm trying to decide about this race. It would be my first 1/2 iron. I truely live in the flatlands, so getting ready for the bike will be a challenge.

2006-04-27 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Come on Sue, you gotta do it! Trust me, no one comes from more flat land than I do. I'm in New Orleans, we actually live below sea level, remember? But the hills do have me worried. I have very little hill training/experience, so I'm going to do what I can to get some over the next couple of months. Look at it this way, if you have to walk it up a couple of hills, at least you'll have someone to talk to who is walking it right next to you.
2006-04-27 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I walked the top half of Sugarloaf during the FL Challenge last year. I have ridden it before but during the race, I hit it a little too hard on the rollers preceding Sugarloaf, and decided I would rather lose a minute walking and let my heart rate come down. It proved to be a good decision, as I was nearly as fast as the people panting and wobbling on their bikes next to me, and I passed more than 20 people in the next mile or so who were spent from the climb and trying to recover.

Sometimes you have to get creative to do hill work in flat areas..I am doing bridge repeats as the Acosta Bridge over the St. Johns River is the highest "hill" I have access to.
2006-04-28 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

That's a good point Kendall. It would seem worth it to walk it a few steps and save the energy vice torturing yourself on the bike only to run out of juice.

My biggest concern is the swim. I saw they have a one hour cut-time. My swimming isn't exactly top-notch so I've got some work to do.

Either way, it will definitely be a good race! Hope to see you all there, and Kendall, if you've got any more words of wisdom for the course since you did it last year, I'm all ears!

2006-05-07 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm in. I'm completely terrifed, but I'm in. I'm counting on you fellow BT'rs to help me make it through this.
2006-05-07 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

I've ridden the course, and it is challenging!!  It's a good, fun ride though!  I am certainly NOT a hill person, and my motto is still that hills suck!!  

The swim isn't bad.  It's a lake swim, so other than wind, no real current to speak of. 

It'll be a BLAST!!  Last year there was a big BT turnout for this race too.  I will be jockstrapping again this year, as I have a mary the week before. 

2006-06-24 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I walked Sugarloaf a few years back when I was just starting out. That wasn't easy!! This year I plan to spend some more time on the Intracoastal bridges. Those are my hills.
2006-06-28 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

This past weekend, I drove most of the bike course. Lots of hills. Sugarloaf is pretty tough looking, but there were some other hills that looked almost as bad, just not quite as long. Only thing I kept telling myself... where there's an uphill, there's a downhill. And there is on this course, too. For the most part, the roads were in good shape. Some were brand new and looked really nice to ride, but some looked a bit... scary. Buckhill was one.

Overall, it looks like it's going to be a great course. Lots of good scenery. Wish I had my camera with me to take pics, but I didn't plan on being able to get to the course. One nice thing, they've got "Share the road" signs everywhere to warn cars about the frequent bikers out there. That was nice. Hope everyone's training is going better than mine. See you all in Clermont!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida Challenge Triathlon - HIM Rss Feed