General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Virgnia? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-02-26 4:31 PM
in reply to: #405071

Subject: RE: West Virgnia?
So I was wondering if anybody knew of the triathlons that award cash prize's in WV??

2011-02-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3373737

User image

New user

I don't know of any that give cash prizes.  A few give cash that is donated to charity that event was benefiting.
2011-03-02 7:36 AM

Good morning,

I am a West Virginian who will be participating in my first triathlon in Morgantown in June of 2011.  My cousin talked me into giving this sport a try (nyuck nyuck).  He is a competitive triathlete in the Naples Florida area and will be coming in for the race (Olympic distance for him--too much for me at this juncture).  I live in Scott Depot and work in Charleston.  For the West Virginians who live in my area, I am wondering where they ride their bikes.  The roads are narrow and the subdivisions seemed confined, though at least you are out running. 

So where do you ride?

Thanks, all.

ps the beginning tri times seem pretty good to me.  I was rather hoping people will be a lot slower!  I do not relish being the comic relief in my first triathlon.
2011-03-03 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3378685

Congratulations on taking the leap and signing up for your first triathlon.  There is a fun atmosphere at the MedExpress Tri in Morgantown.  There's a good mix of first timers, good local and visiting triathletes, and pros on tricked out $10,000 bikes.  I don't live down near Charleston so I can't help you out with roads there.  But, regarding your comment about the times from last year--don't worry about them.  Even the Sprint Tri will have a mix of newbies and experienced triathletes.  Most of those people near the top of the results also do longer distance triathlons but decided to do the Sprint tri for one reason or another.  You'll certainly have plenty of other first timers around you. 

My piece of advice for you:  if you aren't familiar with open water swimming, try to practice it some before the triathlon.  It's a different experience than going to the pool and swimming laps.  Nobody paints a black line on the bottom of the river for you to follow and no one (I hope!) jumps into your lane at the pool to hit you with their arms, legs, or whatever other body part they happen to be flailing around.  Just be calm and relaxed at the start and it should go fine!

Cheers,

John

2011-03-04 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3381835

John,

Thank you for the good advice.  Regarding beginning times, you are correct and I should not be concerned.  This sport seems to weed out the couch potatos, though!  For instance, in most 5k and 10k races, there are a large group of people that are there doing a "fun walk" or very slow jog.  It seems this does not exist much at the triathlon level.  Just raises the bar for all of us, I guess.  I am not hypercompetitive by nature in new sports.  Yet still, there is something about finishing last or back of pack that feels a little blah.

Re open water swimming--you are right.  Though I have swim raced competitively in the past and consider it a strength even now, I have never been in a swim race where I have been kicked and pummeled.  The lines are also a concern. My cousin (also named John) is a fantastic swimmer and nearly drowned in his first sprint tri because he was trampled.  And he is a clyde just like me.  Now he sprints to the front and is usually first out of the water.  Advice I have received for first race is to "swim wide" though I may press a little more to the front to get started, at least.

I need to find a safe place to bike.  The gym bike is good and the training plan encourages this, but there is no substitute for actually hoofing it on a bike.

thank you for your good wishes.  see you at the race?

egoes

2011-03-04 12:53 PM

User image

New user

Egoes.  I live  in Hurricane and I have to say that Teays Valley is a tough situation for riding.  I usually ride out South Poplar fork road past the big tv tower and the hit us-60 for some straight long riding.  Sometimes I ride over to Hamlin and back for my longer days.  Maybe this helps you out.  Good luck with your tri.

2011-03-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3382259

I think most of the "fun walk" folks get scared away from triathlons with open water swims.  There's another tri in Morgantown later in the summer (Sprint, Splash, & Spin) which has a 300m pool swim.  That's the race that the "fun walk" folks sign up for because the pool swim is less intimidating.  It's also a fun triathlon atmosphere and there are some good local and regional triathletes that show up for it in addition to the first timers.  It was the first triathlon I ever did and I've done it every year since.

I'm not going to be able to participate in the MedExpress Triathlon this year; we leave for Nags Head that weekend.   Good luck and have fun!

John

2011-03-12 8:58 AM

Hey All.  In Wheeling WV training underway and trying to schedule events.  Any suggestions within 200 miles.
2012-11-20 2:13 PM

User image

Newbie here in the Morgantown area.  I did the sprint Mountaineer duathlon in 2012 and am looking forward to doing triathlons in 2013.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » West Virgnia? Rss Feed  

of 3