EnviroSports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 35m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Matt and I took the last two days off before the race, so no real strenuous activities or hiking, even though we were on vacation. We had to be up at 0545 to make the drive to Stinson Beach. We got there at 0800, about an hour before the race. It was a bit chilly outside, but not too bad for a beach in Northern California. We pinned our race numbers on, stretched, and mingled for the next 45 minutes.
Event warmup:

Jogging around the Stinson Beach parking lot, stretching.
Run
  • 5h 35m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

After climbing nearly 4400 feet and running 14 miles, my old foot injury began to kick in. Matt had already deserted me and for the past two miles I had found myself alone on the course. Very rare in a marathon, but this was a trail marathon, and seemed to happen a lot. I doubted my ability to finish, I was near tears (though I was so sweaty and misty from the weather, I could have been crying without noticing it.) and I was sure that this would be my last marathon. I had hit the mental roadblock. I stopped to walk a bit and shortly afterward saw someone behind me on the course. I was relieved to know that I wasn't alone and it meant I was probably still on the right trail. Well, this man was an angel. He must have noticed that I was struggling, because he came right up to me and started talking about everything and anything. Soon we were both running and I almost forgot the pain. We made it to the aid station at mile 17 and decided to stick it out and run the rest together. I needed someone to chat with to keep my mind off of the old injury and he needed someone to pace him. So we did and I must say it was a very enjoyable final 10 miles.
What would you do differently?:

More hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Did I mention they gave out free beer if you wore your race shirt to the afterparty???

My father and Matt's parents met us at the finish line. We kept moving to cool down our muscles and then ate at a great restaurant in Stinson Beach. I was famished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did the bulk of my training while at LE school in Charleston SC. There aren't nearly enough hills there, let alone mountains to climb, so most of my long runs were on flat pavement. My aerobic capacity never let up this race, but my ability to stomach the hills did. If I had trained on terrain similar to the race, I would have smashed the course.

Event comments:

The scenery during this marathon was incredible. The climb to the peak was worth every curse word and drop of sweat that left my body. There was never a dull moment and everyone was so friendly on the course. There were just enough aid stations (4) and they offered a wide selection of food and drink. I would highly recommend this one to anyone interested in an off the beaten path marathon. I can't wait to do it again.

Last updated: 2006-01-07 12:00 AM
Running
05:35:17 | 26.2 miles | 12m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 63/
Performance: Good
I didn't wear my HR monitor for the race. I thought about it, but decided against the extra weight.
Course: Shall we say difficult? If you had asked me before if I would have been satisfied with a 5:35 finish at a marathon, I probably would have laughed and said no. It was surly not a PR for me, but after running this course, I'm awfully proud of that time. The course started at the beach and then immediately began climbing to the top of the peaks in Muir woods. It took me 48 minutes to get to the first aid station at mile 3. This marathon never leveled off until after mile 11 and even then it was rolling hills on the ridgeline. The last four miles were downhill and very technical. There was no sprinting this section unless you were highly coordinated or wanted a broken bone.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes