Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A Pet Peeve of Mine: The Vatican and Condom Use Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-04-25 2:12 PM

Pro
Subject: A Pet Peeve of Mine: The Vatican and Condom Use
I just can't imagine the justification for continuing to preach abstinence over condom use in the face of 25 million African victims of AIDS. Yes, the best way to avoid AIDS is abstinence. It seems, though, that most people do not really consider abstinence viable:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/04/25/vatican.condoms.ap/i...

Is it too much to hope that the Vatican will condone condoms? I think it is...

2006-04-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #406135

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: A Pet Peeve of Mine: The Vatican and Condom Use

Somewhat amusing that this thread first appeared directly above the thread asking if you have a sense of humor.

2006-04-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: #406141

Pro
hangloose - 2006-04-25 3:18 PM

Somewhat amusing that this thread first appeared directly above the thread asking if you have a sense of humor.

It was about time to start stirring the pot a bit here. We could, if you would like to put a humourous spin on it, suggest alternatives that could be pursued in lieu of sex:

- Knitting
- Rubik's cube
- Sudoku

EDIT: Or do you mean that it's humourous that a bunch of celibate men can have an impact on the sex lives of millions?

Edited by Opus 2006-04-25 2:31 PM
2006-04-25 2:32 PM
in reply to: #406164

User image

Runner
Hmmm...does the Vatican consider self-gratification abortion?
2006-04-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #406170

Pro
Scout7 - 2006-04-25 3:32 PM

Cue Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred".

Every sperm is sacred
Every sperm is great
If a sperm gets wasted
God gets quite irate
2006-04-25 2:40 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I mean that it's amusing to see the words Vatican and Condom in the same sentence (juvenile, I know). 

2006-04-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: #406184

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
hangloose - 2006-04-25 2:40 PM

I mean that it's amusing to see the words Vatican and Condom in the same sentence (juvenile, I know). 

Even more amusing is seeing the words Vatican, condom,  juvenile, and sentence...    all in the same sentence
2006-04-25 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Opus - 2006-04-25 2:12 PM
face of 25 million African victims of AIDS.

As a slight hijack, but you did bring up aids in Africa.

Did you know you don't have to take an aids test in africa to have aids. They have a list of symptoms, you score soo many points and you have aids, no blood test required. If I was in africa with the flu I had last winter I would have be diagnosed with aids.

2006-04-25 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Honestly, I'm willing to go to confession for using a condom rather than go to confession and tell the priest that I'm pregnant or have AIDS.
2006-04-25 3:35 PM
in reply to: #406244

User image

Runner
To each their own, that's what I say.

Funny how the Church is, in a sense, supporting Darwinism.
2006-04-25 4:14 PM
in reply to: #406222

Pro
nbo10 - 2006-04-25 4:16 PM

Did you know you don't have to take an aids test in africa to have aids. They have a list of symptoms, you score soo many points and you have aids, no blood test required. If I was in africa with the flu I had last winter I would have be diagnosed with aids.

That's interesting. But I bet you're white, and even if you're not, you are from the developed world, so I bet you if you went in with the flu, you wouldn't go to the same clinic as, say, the subsistence farmer, so they probably would give you a battery of tests that would tell them that you in fact don't have AIDS.

It's sad that AIDS is such a common disease in Africa that an assumption can be made based on a points system. All the more reason to encourage condom use.

2006-04-25 4:20 PM

User image

Champion

No, you wouldn't have.  AIDS defining illnesses are not at all like the flu or garden variety illnesses.

nbo10 - 2006-04-25 3:16 PM
Opus - 2006-04-25 2:12 PM face of 25 million African victims of AIDS.
As a slight hijack, but you did bring up aids in Africa. Did you know you don't have to take an aids test in africa to have aids. They have a list of symptoms, you score soo many points and you have aids, no blood test required. If I was in africa with the flu I had last winter I would have be diagnosed with aids.

2006-04-25 6:13 PM
in reply to: #406170

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
Scout7 - 2006-04-25 2:32 PM

what about "wet dreams" deamon dreams that trick one into abortion?
2006-04-25 6:15 PM

User image

Master

in the face of 25 million ... victims of AIDS.

is it too much to have a needle exchange program, or legalized prostitution?
2006-04-25 6:17 PM

User image

Master
nbo10 - 2006-04-25 3:16 PM

note to self, done share needles with nbo10....

then again if i was bleeding, like say my hand was chopped off in africa, i think i would take my chances of getting on a plane to a country with REAL medicine. in africa there was a time that some though having sex with a virgin would cure AIDS.... that had very bad results...
2006-04-25 9:00 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Opus - much to hope that the Vatican will condone condoms?

Opus, by my understanding, the issue is not whether the Vatican will condone condoms, but, rather, whether the Vatican can condone condoms. Or more specifically, whether the magisterium of the Church can discover a theology that could allow condom use in the case of AIDS.

I haven't talk to anyone or read anything that suggests that there is such a valid theology. Perhaps there is. I don't know.

Stories like the one you linked to come up now and then to suggest that there is some kind of power struggle within the Church, and that the "winners" will then get to decide what the teaching is. Contrary to the Da Vinci Code, it doesn't work that way.

The Church teaches that Christ instituted seven sacraments. Each one requires certain "valid matter" in order for it to be a valid sacrament. For example, a priest could not validly consecrate a Clif Bar and a cup of Gu2O during Mass. The Eucharist requires bread and wine in order to be valid.

Marriage has its own particular set of requirements. Condoms are never licit within the sacrament of marriage because the husband and wife must always be open to the possibility of life. And, of course, sex outside of marriage is never licit. And even for couples who are not Catholic, the Church cannot go against what it views ultimately as Christ's teaching by providing something illicit such as a condom.

Although it may look like it from the outside, the pope is not the equivalent of the CEO of the Church. Even if he personally believed that condom use to prevent the spread of AIDS between a husband and wife was a good thing, he could not just change Church teaching. It can not be changed unless some heretofore undiscovered truth of the matter was suddenly more properly illuminated. And even then, by my understanding, there would probably have to be a general agreement on this by the magisterium of the Church.

Again, perhaps that's possible. I really don't know, but I doubt it.

I think it's also a good thing to mention here that the Catholic Church provides something like one third of the care for persons with AIDS and HIV in the world. It's worth noting because the Church is an institution that is very aware of the ravages of this disease in the world.

Edited by dontracy 2006-04-25 9:17 PM

2006-04-25 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
Opus - 2006-04-25 12:12 PM

I just can't imagine the justification for continuing to preach abstinence over condom use in the face of 25 million African victims of AIDS. :

Someone that gets raped is a victim!
Someone that gets murder is a victim!

Can someone be conisidered a victim that contracts AIDS threw irresponsible willing sex
be considered a victim?

I think probably yes but not sure.

Edited by blessteve 2006-04-25 9:14 PM
2006-04-25 9:16 PM
in reply to: #406622

User image

Master
blessteve - 2006-04-25 9:13 PM

Opus - 2006-04-25 12:12 PM

I just can't imagine the justification for continuing to preach abstinence over condom use in the face of 25 million African victims of AIDS. :

Someone that gets raped is a victim!
Someone that gets murder is a victim!

Can someone be conisidered a victim that contracts AIDS threw irresponsible willing sex
be considered a victim?

I think probably yes but not sure.

victim? not a victim?

still have AIDS... who cares about their status.... they will still die the same way (unless of course they comit suicide, or get hit by a bus)
2006-04-26 7:16 AM
in reply to: #406599

User image

Giver

Don, I listened to a story about this on CNN yesterday morning. The issue sounds more like is the church willing to tolerate condom use, not condone or endorse it. Sounds like splitting hairs, but, according to the story, isn't.

It talked about "double effect": if and action has two consequences, one good and one bad, then there may be a case for allowing that action.

The case they used: say a husband contracts HIV from a blood transfusion: is it OK for him to wear a condom to prevent transmission from his wife?

2006-04-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: #406786

User image

Runner
run4yrlif - 2006-04-26 8:16 AM

The case they used: say a husband contracts HIV from a blood transfusion: is it OK for him to wear a condom to prevent transmission from his wife?

That's a little different than the issues being faced down in Africa, though.

As for what the Catholic Church believes, in this case I don't think it makes that much of a difference. What would make more of a difference would be educational and economic reforms. Until the overall education of the population is raised, these sorts of things will continue to happen. Sad, but true. The Catholic Church not condoning the use of condoms is not the cause of the problem here, and is probably a minimal issue. Unregulated prostitution, poor healthcare, and no real education are the real concerns.
2006-04-26 7:50 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
dontracy - 2006-04-25 9:00 PM

Opus, by my understanding, the issue is not whether the Vatican will condone condoms, but, rather, whether the Vatican can condone condoms. Or more specifically, whether the magisterium of the Church can discover a theology that could allow condom use in the case of AIDS.

I haven't talk to anyone or read anything that suggests that there is such a valid theology. Perhaps there is. I don't know.

Stories like the one you linked to come up now and then to suggest that there is some kind of power struggle within the Church, and that the "winners" will then get to decide what the teaching is. Contrary to the Da Vinci Code, it doesn't work that way.

The Church teaches that Christ instituted seven sacraments. Each one requires certain "valid matter" in order for it to be a valid sacrament. For example, a priest could not validly consecrate a Clif Bar and a cup of Gu2O during Mass. The Eucharist requires bread and wine in order to be valid.

Marriage has its own particular set of requirements. Condoms are never licit within the sacrament of marriage because the husband and wife must always be open to the possibility of life. And, of course, sex outside of marriage is never licit. And even for couples who are not Catholic, the Church cannot go against what it views ultimately as Christ's teaching by providing something illicit such as a condom.

Although it may look like it from the outside, the pope is not the equivalent of the CEO of the Church. Even if he personally believed that condom use to prevent the spread of AIDS between a husband and wife was a good thing, he could not just change Church teaching. It can not be changed unless some heretofore undiscovered truth of the matter was suddenly more properly illuminated. And even then, by my understanding, there would probably have to be a general agreement on this by the magisterium of the Church.

I think it's also a good thing to mention here that the Catholic Church provides something like one third of the care for persons with AIDS and HIV in the world. It's worth noting because the Church is an institution that is very aware of the ravages of this disease in the world.

Yeah, that's why I thought it was funny.  Just couldn't put it into those words.

Seriously though, isn't the OP a bit of a stretch here?

Isn't it a bit of a leap to think that:

1.  The Catholic Church would be so active in this issue to condone the use of condoms.  (Whether it's for reasons like what Don typed or for more accusatory reasons, it ain't gonna happen).

2.  That IF the Church took this step it would have a significant effect on the spread of AIDS in Africa.

Jim - you bring up an interesting example from a theoretical standpoint.  In reality, church doctrine (or rather, the absence of church doctrine?) is not going to change on the subject just to deal with situations that can be simply handled by rational people.  Instead of asking how to reconcile your example with Church policy (which is the proverbial immovable object) ask how that situation should be dealt with by real people (priest, husband, wife.)  The phrase, Our God is a forgiving God comes to mind. 

OTOH, this is all coming from someone who does not consider Catholic Church doctrine to be the governing set of rules that others think it is, especially when it conflicts with common sense and in some cases, the Bible itself (Thou shall not kill?).  I'm Lutheran.

<<ground cracking open, flames of Hell rise high to consume Hangloose.>>

2006-04-26 9:32 AM

Pro
dontracy - 2006-04-25 10:00 PM

Thanks for the response Don.

Although I can appreciate the church's help to those suffering from AIDS, it would be a greater help to encourage prevention through a number of means.

Here's a link to the kind of thing that I'm talking about:

http://www.christiantoday.com/news/africa/zambia.church.leader.to.p...

I understand what you're saying about church teachings. Sex outside marriage is bad. And maybe that is absolute. Then condom use is bad, and that is absolute too. If a man has sex outside marriage and he doesn't use a condom, wouldn't it be a greater sin to acquire HIV from the woman and pass it on to your wife, or are all sins equal?

I maybe should not single out the Catholic church here, there are perhaps many churches that discourage condom use, but the influence of the Catholic church is so great that their reticence on this matter stands out.

As Jim said, though, maybe tolerance rather than approval of condom use is the way out.

Tyrant: I would fully support needle exchange programs and legalized prostitution too, but then, I'm of Dutch stock...

2006-04-26 9:45 AM
in reply to: #406786

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
run4yrlif -

It talked about "double effect": if and action has two consequences, one good and one bad, then there may be a case for allowing that action.

Jim, the principle of "double effect" is a really good point. For example, according to the priciple of double effect a woman with an ectopic pregnancy can have the embryo removed, even if the procedure kills the embryo, because the motivation for the act is to save the mother's life and not to kill the embryo.

So the question of whether the priciple of "double effect" would apply to using condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS is a good one.

I did a bit more reading last night, and came away further convinced that the consensus is that it could not be applied in the case of a married couple.  There's some speculation that it's possible it could be applied in other cases, such as the case of a prostitute. 

2006-04-26 9:05 PM
in reply to: #406622

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

blessteve - 2006-04-25 9:13 PM Can someone be conisidered a victim that contracts AIDS threw irresponsible willing sex be considered a victim? I think probably yes but not sure.

FWIW - the fastest growing segment of the HIV+ population in Africa is married women with unfaithful husbands...

2006-04-26 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
dontracy - 2006-04-25 9:00 PM

Marriage has its own particular set of requirements. Condoms are never licit within the sacrament of marriage because the husband and wife must always be open to the possibility of life.

Condoms - even when used properly - have a 2% failure rate. Is that not a  possiblity of life?  Are you implying that the omniscient and omnipotent God, the God who created the universe from nothing, the God who parted the Red Sea, the God who brought down the walls of Jerricho, the God who protected Daniel in the lion's den and Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace, would be thwarted by a couple of microns of latex if it were His will to bring a child into the world?There is at least one well-documented pregnancy proving that even complete abstinence will not prevent what He has ordained.

Why does the church hold that a 2% chance of pregnancy is too low,but allows that a 9% chance is OK?  (The rhythm method is 91% effective if it is adhered to perfectly. In typical use, condoms fail 15% of the time, and the rhythm method 25% of the time)  

Should I not wear my helmet when I ride my bike lest it interfere with His desire to bring me home when He wills? (Although, given my cheekiness this post, I might be overestimating my welcome  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A Pet Peeve of Mine: The Vatican and Condom Use Rss Feed  

of 2