Helping Offset Patient Expenses in memory of Dawn Leach
33F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 11s
Overall Rank = 8/266
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Got on the road and got to the park about 45 minutes early and regestered. Then I went for a little jog down the park trail under the bridge onto the road and back to the finish line. About a mile. My fingers were numb so I stopped of in my car and cranked up the heat to thaw out. Headed over to the start and got in line for the bathroom. Listened to the pre-race ceremony for Dawn then to the line for the start.
Event warmup:

1 mile jog.
Run
  • 21m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out to the outside a few rows back. Got out well and got around the turn without incident. Had about 4 folks zip past me as I got into a nice rhythm going up the first two little hills. Had one more guy in a tie dye shirt go past and remarked it was a nice day. I settled in and started moving back forward passing 3 of the people who zipped past me. Just after mile 1 I passed the first place woman, and then got passed by one guy whp had been shadowing me. I worked to stay with him. We worked our way down to the turn around and then back up the hill. There was a group of people in front of me so I decided I needed to catch a few of them. Got one going up the hill, and then reeled in a little guy (turned out he was 13) just after the 2nd mile marker, but he started racing me each time I got on his shoulder he picked it up. Held me off on the next hill a few times and on the down hill. In the meantime we closed up on the next guy, so I had to get to some tactics and backed off a bit then hammered into the last hill and blasted past him and right up to an past the next guy and opened up a gap on the two of them. Held on to the end and saw the clock just turning to 21 min so a PR was in reach and I just maded it in under my old PR by 1 sec. (Well my post 14 year layoff PR from 2003 to present.) Nice run. 8th OA and first place old guy (40+) and won my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, left a bit out there but since I haven't had to run fast since April I was pretty happy with my race.
Post race
Warm down:

Got done before they had the post race food set up, so I got my shirt (race day sign up weren't guarenteed a shirt and had to wait till after the race, but when you finish early, it was no problem. Brought my shirt back to the car and then made a second loop around the course as a cool down. Thanked the volunteers and swept the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Saved a bit too much and could have got harder at the start, but still PRed so can't complain too much!

Event comments:

First time race. Good turnout 266 finishers. Raised close to $10K for the Leach Family and a nice tribute for Dawn a friend of my wife. A very cool morning 33 degrees which is out of the RD's contro

Last updated: 2011-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:11 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 8/266
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back through the roads of Birdsboro. Some rolling hills but nothing major.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes