United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 29s
Overall Rank = 256/5000
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/421
Pre-race routine:

Stayed on Tybee. Got to shuttle first. Was on first bus. 5:30am Driver asked for directions to start. Fuck. But we got there fine and a little after 6.

Day before race had been a carnival of pre race meltdowns and fiascos. I was completely prepared for the race to suck. I even started my period. It was like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I was pretty depressed. I tried continually to remind myself that I could not let things I cannot control stress me out and to focus on what I can do but stuff got the better of me. I am not proud of it.
Event warmup:

Wandered around. Found an open bar right next to my corral (corral 2). So from 6:30 until 7:25 I sat in a bar and chatted with other runners. It was awesome.
Run
  • 3h 26m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Splits:

mile1: 7:35--oops, not the planned 8:18

mile 2: 8:01--yay! back on plan

mile 3: 7:44 little fast but okay now

mile 4:7:59 not sure what happened there. Aid station I think

mile5: 7:48

Mile 6: 7:37 too fast

mile 7: 7:48

mile 8: 7:43

mile 9: 7:34 feeling like a rockstar!

mile 10: 7:38

mile 11: 7:37 --realize I need a potty so I pick it up since I know I will lose time.

mile 12: 7:39

mile 13: 7:36

Mile 14: 8:52-- minute plus in the potty. :( too long. But could not be avoided. Legs are not feeling great so I have a gu. I think I was running sub 7 which is why legs were not happy. I have gu and pull back some.

mile 15: 7:34 trying to make up for slow 14 and catch Joe and Kate. I see Joe, not too far ahead. Kate is further ahead. I catch Joe. So proud of myself!

Mile 16: 7:54 Dying a little. Joe says we are fine and can run slower. he takes my arm warmers. Why do I bother with these things. I am always hot and they just end up annoying me. Butterfly arm warmers look nice on Joe.

Mile 17: 7:41 fuck going slower. I feel good. Let's catch Kate! Joe is not down with this plan since we can't see her at all. But me? I like having something to chase. Rip the bandaid off I tell myself. Let hurt and make it quick.

Mile 18: 7:37 I see kate! She seems far away though. But I like chasing her. I don't really want to talk but seeing her gives me a focus. It is all I can think about. I want to catch her but I don't want to catch her. What I want is to chase her all the way in.

Mile 19: 7:48 Kate is closer. Uh oh. She might be slowing.

Mile 20: 7:54 I catch Kate. I am happy to be with my friend but sad that the chase is over and I can see she is having a hard time. She says she is mad. Her legs are done. I feel bad and try to rally her. I think I hand her a gu. I have extras. I've been offering to anyone who needs one. Kate fades back from me. I look over my shoulder. I keep going and figure she will catch me anyway when I blow up. She is younger and a much better runner than me. I know her legs are tired from working but I am convinced she will rally and catch back up. I am still on pace for 3:25. I don't think sub 3:25 is going to happen and I am a little unhappy how hard I am going to have to work to get a pr (sub 3:28). I do the math and figure so long as I keep the last 10k under 8:30 avg pace I will have a pr. 8:30's are totally reasonable but I know if I get a calf cramp all bets are off. My calves are twitching so while I don't feel tired cardio wise I know my legs are getting fatigued. I am limited by my legs how fast I am going to beable to run. The cardio can go forever and faster but the legs are not going to let that happen. Stupid legs.

Mile 21: 8:06--we turn on the highway. Bit of a hill. But the news isn't the tiny hill but the 20mph headwind. I see a very muscular black woman ahead. A good bit ahead. She looks amazingly powerful, not your usual distance runner physique. I wonder if I can catch her. She becomes my new carrot.

Mile22: 8:04 --wind is hideous and I am fighting hard for this pace. I can see 3:25 slipping away and I make the descion to ease the pace. I rationalize that I need to go for effort. sub 8's are effort wise (in this wind) equal to sub 7:20. I decide that will be a losing battle and aim to keep the pace under 8:30 and hope that I can drop it when this turn on the highway of hell ends. I know it will end at the mile 24 marker (I saw it earlier in the race) but I keep hoping I am wrong about that and it will end sooner.

Miile 23: 8:27 Ughhh. It is so awful! An 8:27 mile just felt like an eternity. I so want this to end. I so want to walk. Walking will make it last longer. Don't walk. The mile 23 sign is about to rip apart due to the wind. I am rallied because I see everyone is struggling. I like when everyone is suffering like me. I can handle suffering when I am not alone in it. I can even rise above and realize, I am, in fact, doing better than most because I am passing people like crazy. I try drafting off taller men that I come up on but this is no good. Their pace is slower than mine and there are just not enough of us to make any difference. I press on.

Mile 24: 8:22 I see the clock and I have lost over a minute and am now over the 3:25 pace. I know I can't make that up at this point. My calves are borderline ready to cramp. The wind has completely done me in. I know I can't cruise it in for a pr but sub 3:30 is in the bag. Without arguement I make the descion to fight for my pr.

Mile 25: 8:11 ugh! Go faster stupid legs. I really don't even remember this mile. I must be stuck inside my head. I see a sign that says 2k to go. I am so puzzled over this but realize that this is the distance that youngest xc runners run each week and decide that I can do this. It is hard to pass people. The half marathoners have most of the road and the full is squeezed over. I am stuck behind this woman and man. I want to pass them but I just don't have the energy to go around. Suddenly they part and let me through. I am surprised and happy and decide I should make a good showing for their nice gesture. I drop it as much as I can.

Mile 26: 7:57. Finishline! Finishline! Where is it! I see my carrot and I try to hammer. I think I am going to run out of miles before I can pass her. But I will not stop trying.

mile 26.2 1:36. I pass her in the final stretch! She slowed down. Everyone slowed down. I must have passed 15 people in the final .2 Who slows down? Finish big! Sheesh.

So happy! 3:26:33 on my watch Chip time is 3:26:29. I did it! PR!!! 15 marathons in 6 1/2 years and I ran a pr! It has been 5 marathons since I run under 3:30 and 6 since I last ran a pr.

I can't complain. My goal was a pr which was anything under 3:28: 27. 3:25 was my perfect day land of dreamy dreams race. Most certainly, my land of dreamy dreams marathon does not include menstrual cramps, a minute plus potty stop and 20mph headwind. I am proud of myself for not giving up and fighting for my pr the whole freaking time.

What would you do differently?:

Uhm, not be a girl?
Have a tail wind instead of a headwind?

Really, I think I did everything right given the day. While I let the things I could not control get in my head prior to the race; I was able to not let the things I can not control ruin my race. So I was triumphant there. I feel like I dealt with the day I was handed as best as I possibly could have. I have no regrets.
Post race
Warm down:

I almost ran myself over the vomit line. A friend of mine finished right after me so we walked together for a bit. I made my way to bag check. Got my bag. Freaked that my phone had died and I didn't know where any of my friends were. So I wandered around a bit mumbling about my red swingline stapler. Not really but I felt like that is how I probably looked. I made my way back to the finish and saw Steph finishing! So happy. No longer alone! We changed and after I got a beer all was right in my world. we stayed and watched our friends finished. It was about 3 pm when I finally got to sit down. Great race experience!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being female and the wind.

Event comments:

Pre race sucked. Completely disorganized. Race and after were great.

Last updated: 2011-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
03:26:29 | 26.2 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/421
Overall: 256/5000
Performance: Good
Course: Flat. Awesomely flat. Miles 21-24 is the highway of broken dreams because of 20mph headwind. Other than that, the course totally rocked!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-10 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL
Subject: Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon

2011-11-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3896950

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon
Great run! The wind doesn't normally blow that hard this time of year here. Spring time around here it does, but Fall is usually calm...Come back to Savannah next year and get your sub 3:25!
2011-11-10 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3897703

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

Thank you!

Well, you know , you never get to pick your race weather.  I think 3-4 miles of a head wind were better than warmer temps or torrential downpour.  So I am not going to complain too much. I knew I needed a perfect day to go sub 3:25 with my fitness so I am fine. I guess I'll just have to train for 3:20 for the next one! I'll do Savannah again. It was a good race. I am sure in future years they will have the logistics dialed in.

2011-11-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3897864

User image

Master

I wish that I were faster because it would have been fun to run with you.  But, alas, I am still a whole minute more per mile (but under 9:00 - WHOO!) slower.

I hate that we missed Karen finishing and I missed Jamie. Dunno how to correct those logisitics.

2011-11-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3898772

User image

Expert
North Metro ATL

You are just as fast as me. You just have to run more so you can do it in a marathon. You ran an awesome race. You've pr'd every marathon you have done! I can't say that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon Rss Feed