General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hmmmmmmmm Vacation followed by a triathlon.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-03 6:13 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: Hmmmmmmmm Vacation followed by a triathlon....
I am going to Mexico on the 12th and returning on the 20th for some not-to-well deserved R&R. It just occured to me that my next Tri is on the 27th, a week later. I won't get a lot of training other than 8 oz curls of booze and sugar and will probably gain quite a bit.

Advice?

Should I pass on the tri?

2004-06-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: #28975

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Hmmmmmmmm Vacation followed by a triathlon....

I say do the Tri but do so carefully and more for fun (not that we should not be doing that anyway) than working towards a goal.  See it as a way to get back into the swing of things with a nice easy swim followed by a nice easy bike ect....

Of course if it were me I would still go all out and seriously pay for it by the run but then I am not always the smartest one out there I am just too competitive to take a race nice and easy, even if I know I should.  You could always wait until you get back and see how you feel.  Either way, make sure you get back into training right away.  Those vacations can be killer once you see how the other half lives.  Sucking down suds, laying on the beach, plenty of food ect....

2004-06-04 3:43 PM

NH
Thanks for asking this question, because I was going to post the same.

I too will be vacationing for 2 weeks, and my tri is 8 days from my return date. Although I won't be doing 8oz curls...I'll be kayaking and hiking for 2 weeks in Alaska, so I will be exercising, but not the run/bike/swim...unless it's with an iceburg Hopefully I'll have caught up on the jetlag by then.

So, if anyone has further comments/suggestions for TM and myself...my ears (and eyes) are open!
2004-06-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: #29218

User image

Champion

hey, use your vacation as an early taper (assuming u can do some of each activity) then when u get back a week or two before, get up to the mileage u need - assuming u have done it before - and then give yourself a few days of rest before your race.  you should still be quite rested from the vacation so come race day you will still feel good.  just and idea although i have not personally tried it.   guinea pigs.

2004-06-05 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

Same deal here. I'll be in Norway for the two weeks prior to my second tri and will be back on the 12th, tri on the 14th. How is THAT for cutting it short!?

I plan to run as much as I can while I'm gone, see if I can find a pool, and try to at least rent a bike once or twice. But overall, I'm not going to worry about it. This is my first season so I'm just going to have fun and feel good about actually DOING this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hmmmmmmmm Vacation followed by a triathlon.... Rss Feed