United States
East Shore YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 44m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up and ate my bowl of oatmeal then made some coffee for the 90 minute drive. Picked up Chrissy and off we went.
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up for this. The marathon had been up in the air for months. I had a bum foot and then got Bell's Palsy. training and running this race has been low priority. I suffered as a result.
Run
  • 4h 44m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I was COMPLETELY unprepared for this race. I knew this. I didn't train enough due to my foot and the Bell's Palsy and I wasn't allowed to run outside because of my eye not being able to close. I think I suffered mostly because of that. I was expecting it, so I was mentally prepared but boy were my legs crampy and sore very early on in the run. I pretty much walked the majority of the last three miles. I kept trying to decide if my calf hurt more when I walked or did my hip flexor hurt more when I ran. I remember being told once before that if it hurts to walk and run then you should just run. I tried to remember this but I convinced myself that since I was so unprepared for this run that it was no big deal to walk a little and my overall time really wasn't important today. It's hard to quiet the competitive angel on your shoulder but I was able to :-)

I ran the first 5 or 6 miles with my sister then I left her on a hill. I saw her from very far away about 1-2 miles later. We waved to each other from a distance :-) I had to run with my patch on which was extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't see to my right so I made sure to always run right. About 10 miles in my patch was so sweaty so I had to keep lifting up for a few minutes but the wind, sun and sometimes debree forced me to put it back on.

Even though this was a tough unprepared marathon - I had a blast.
What would you do differently?:

uh, obviously train more, not take weeks off for a bum foot, and DEFINITELY not get Bell's Palsy. Enough said.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't know how much time I had before Chrissy came in. I went and got our checked bags, I got changed and then I walked back to the finish line to cheer other folks in and wait for Chrissy. She came in with a PR.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As stated above, my situation leading up to this winged marathon did not help to have an awesome run experience, but it is what you make it. I didn't go into this run with high expectations so I was pleased with the day.

Oh, and I should have drank more water and less of that awful Citomax.

Event comments:

I would suggest this race to anyone. It was very well done. It's a small race. It's inexpensive. Parking is right at the race. THere is a building to sit in before and after race. Swag was good. Shirt is nice. Course is nice (by the river for a good portion of it). I really enjoyed this race.

Last updated: 2011-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
04:44:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: The course was rather nice for the most part. I was led to believe that it was relatively flat. I disagree. This race had a decent amount of hills. I would not describe this as flat. I was telling Linda C. that everyone should do Eagleman to know what flat is :-) It's all relative, I guess. The course was an uneven figure eight. Water stations were about 2-3 miles apart.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes