General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championship - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Henderson, Nevada
United States
Lowery's Multisport Races, Inc.
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 13m 46s
Overall Rank = 659/778
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/44
Pre-race routine:

Fle into Vegas on Wednesday, got checked in to the Loews Hotel (loved it...very nice place) and built up the bikes. Drove into Henderson for dinner, bought some leg warmers (genuis) and went back to the hotel. Thursday had us picking up our packet at T2 (13 miles from the hotel), going for a run on the course, a swim at the rec center and getting an awesome Fascial Stretching session. Back to bike a bit, pack t1 and 2 bags, the TEAM USA photo, athlete dinner and meeting. Then we had a nice time relaxing on the patio by the fire pit. Friday brought rain, wind a final bike ride, bike check in and bag drop off after a quick spin and run (too much silly fun on that run) and dinner in the village at a nice little italian place. We hit the hay about 9pm hoping the rumor we had heard about the swim being cancelled was just that. A rumor. It wasn't. We saw a post about the swim being cancelled on 3d's Facebook page race morning before we got our ride to the start. (it was like Myrtle Beach the qualifier last year all over again!) Put on the compression socks instead of the sleeves and headed down to T1.
Event warmup:

No warm up...literally! It was very cold and we basically stayed in the changing tent with the heaters, chatting amongst ourselves,(I met fellow BT'r Amy Engel and that was very cool...:) deciding what to wear, hitting the portapots and trying to relax until our block of numbers were called to line up and get our bikes for the time trial start at the bike mount line.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 4000 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Cancelled due to combined air (39) and water(54) temps.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Time Trial start, so no T1
Bike
  • 4h 43m 1s
  • 74.56 miles
  • 15.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, it was as expected...very challenging and just gorgeous. I didn't expect the course to go behind the hotel (more hills of course!) before the expressway, but the hill got me warmed up so I was glad for it! Riding in Lake Mead was spectacular, but a tad lonely. The dessert landscape, cold temps,wind and time trial start all led to a desolate sort of feeling while out there. The views in the park were really gorgeous...red rock, dessert plants, blue blue blue Lake Mead and sky...then when you got on the bike path there was a great view of the Las Vegas Strip with the mountains in the back ground. I had lots of "Elizabeth Bennet moments" when I said beautiful outloud! I tried to work my bike plan as written,but with so many hills it was hard to go easy at the beginning, and with the sisters at mile 56, miles of climbing already on the ride, plus the long false flat and headwind it was hard to be pushing the higher watts at the end of the ride. I did "ok" but not my best biking effort.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...I hydrated/fueled pretty much as planned (even though it was hard to grab my chews with my full fingered gloves!) didn't have to stop to pee at all, (YAY!) and tried to not blow myself up on the climbs. I always seem to lose focus on the bike, and scenery helped a little with that, but I'm ok with it. I beat my time estimation by 17 minutes, so I guess I should be happy with the bike! :D
Transition 2
  • 09m 30s
Comments:

They had bike handlers who took our bikes at the dismount line! My right quad over my knee was very ouchie, and I was stiff, so I kind of walked/jogged to t2. Had lots of layers to remove, put biofreeze on, took tylenol, pulled on my shoes, stretehed, got my gu's and biofreeze stuffed in my tri suit and hit the potties. Gosh, I suck at transition.

Well, I knew I had a long assed run and I didn't much care about anything other than having what I needed for the run and going potty! My "racing" mentality or grrr as I like to call it never really showed up, and that is evident in this t2 time. Second slowest in my ag...Bad athlete!
Run
  • 3h 21m 16s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I planned on staying zone 2 through out taking a gel every 3 miles, walking 1 minute every mile and picking it up the last 5k if there was anything left. This course was a challenge...I liked the fact that we looped 4 times because it got me through the finish area where my hubby and friends(grabbed a kiss from Dave on loop 2) could yell at me and it was less lonely than an out and back (once again, because of the TT start, by the time I'd hit the run course, so many athletes, including ALL the pace booty lol, had only a lap or 2 to go or had finished) and that made it harder mentally... but I did see Pam, Cathleen Jane and Andi out there which was great. Cathleen caught me on the beginning of lap 3 and we ran a mile together (awesome)...she had a great run as usual!

What made me happy was I ran with a higher hr than my IM races, kept more consistant pacing throughout, stuck to my simple nutrition plan of water and a gu every 3 miles(added coke and chicken broth at the very end of the run), qued myself on form on the last lap (it helped a lot) and ...wait for it...actually had NO potty breaks on the run!!! Whoo Hoo!

I did have a side stitch once again at about mile 3.85. What gives? I was able to run through it and was gone after about 1.25 miles, thank goodness!

One highlight of the run was that the ITU race commentator (I don't know his name) who called the elite race in Myrtle Beach was spectating the run course on lap 4 and cheering me on...he was super positive and it was very cool that he was there cheering us late runners!

I had the goal of finishing before sunset...5:45 pm and when I hit the timing mat turnaround with about 1.75 to go, I realized I'd make it. I pushed as hard as I could on the final downhill (my hr didn't really go up much, but my rpe did, and my tendon issue from IMFL started talking a bit) and had a bit of a kick at the finish...I got to high five folks in the shoot and hear them cheering USA which was awesome! They said my name....sort of "start cheering for Marcia...uhh Marshall with 2 ll's from Troy, MI" and it was done...over...finally!

I am very happy with my run execution in spite of my HORRIBLE ag ranking! Lets face it...I need to become a runner, but after the Halfmax championships train wreck of a run, this was a great way to finish out the season. REDEMPTION!

Positives:
I'd expected to run closer to 12's due to the tough as nails bike course and based on my IM run's in Placid and Florida. I totally beat those times!
I felt much better throughout the WHOLE run than I did at Myrtle Beach after a tough bike and with hills, beating that pace as well!
I felt much better mentally on this run than MB, which I am so thankful for.
No potty breaks on the run! I have no idea how long its been since I havn't had to break in a longer run or race to pee...that was awesome!!!
Negatives:
I suck on the run compared to those in my AG, not news to me, but I gotta say, it hurt to be ranked SOOOO poorly in relation to my competition.

I still have not made my way into the terrible beauty of run pain while racing. I am not sure what exactly I'm afraid of, but that fear must still be lingering, as I could have thrown down the last 5k, but didn't.

I had a kick, so there was definately more in there waiting to be tapped.

Post race
Warm down:

just walked to the food tent, got a tad to eat and drink, Pammy found me, wrapped me in a mylar blanky, brought me my beer from my better half (it was delish!) and got me over to the massage tent for the WORST massage ever (seriously...it was a joke) and an awesome stretching session which was great!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mentally I was toast from a long season...did not have my GRRR...treated it kind of like IMFL last year...enjoy the experience and do the best I could on the day.

Event comments:

It was a great experience to race the ITU long course World Championship. I had soooo many laughs with my teammates, my husband actually had a GOOD time, and post race Vegas shinanigans (and cocktails) were a blast. I am sorry that I didn't make it to the awards dinner and Team USA party, but with my late finish and the host hotel being so far away (13 miles!) I just didn't have time to get there. If I race in Spain, I'll do that all for sure.

Last updated: 2011-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 4000 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 0/778
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:43:01 | 74.56 miles | 15.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/44
Performance: Average
avg power 136-max 516 avg hr 148- max 178 avg cadence 85- max 206
Wind: Some
Course: Smooth roads from Lake Las Vegas into Lake Mead National Park,(long hills to climb up and go down), two out and backs then onto the bike path for the Three Sisters and a long false flat into the wind, then more rollers into T2 in Henderson
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:21:16 | 18.64 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/44
Performance: Good
avg hr 156-max 171
Course: Surprise....all up and down! :) Four loops of 4.6 miles ...1st mile all downhill, then climb for 2.5, then down again right past the finish line...repeat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-14 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Long Course Triathlon World Championship Rss Feed