General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question for any Paleo pro's out there.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-16 6:07 PM

New user
Pasco, Wa
Subject: question for any Paleo pro's out there....

I was attracted to the Paleo diet as I had read of several triathletes who say marked improvements in their training.  Well, I've been doing Paleo for a couple weeks now (about 85% true to diet) and I feel like crap.

Let me clarify.  I feel great during the day, at work, sitting at my desk.  When running, or when I am teaching my group fitness classes, I have noticed a big drop in my energy level.

I'm assuming (read: hoping) this works itself out and at some point, you turn the corner, and you have the same level of energy you had when eating grains and dairy.  Anyone have any insight on this?  I would love some advice....

2011-11-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3904807

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: question for any Paleo pro's out there....

Which version are you following? Strict Paleo or Paleo for Athletes?

If you read the Paleo for Athletes version they share how long it takes to get used to it.

I did a 3 month stint of strict Paleo. First 2-3 weeks were tough than it became much much easier. Sticking to it 85% makes it harder for me.

2011-11-21 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3904807

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Subject: RE: question for any Paleo pro's out there....

You are probably not eating enough fruits/sweet potatoes/yams.  Athletes following Paleo nutrition need to eat more to support their training levels - those living a more sedentary life do not.

Try adding baked sweet potato "fries" (wedges lightly coated in olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper, baked at 450, turning a couple of times until lightly browned, about 20 minutes) to your dinner the night before.  They also make a great pre-workout snack with some lean protein.

Bananas also make a great pre-workout snack.  Are you fueling during your workouts?  The only non-Paleo supplement I use are Hammer gels and HEED when I am training and racing.

You might also not be eating enough.  Several meals/snacks during the day and with the switch to Paleo you might need more calories - add coconut oil, coconut, avocado, and nuts.

Keep going - it WILL work!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question for any Paleo pro's out there.... Rss Feed