General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-16 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain

Over the past few months I've transitioned pretty much exclusively to running in Saucony Kinvaras. About ten days ago I went on an easy run with my wife and decided to wear an older pair of my former training shoes - the Saucony Guide 3. They had about 350 miles on them (still some life left). After the run the outside of my right foot just under my ankle began to hurt. I did some research and I think it was my peroneal tendon that was the culprit.

After two days of not running (it hurt to walk at that point), I slowly eased back into running with the Kinvaras, and now the pain has all but vanished.

I guess the transition to footwear can go both ways, as when I started using the Kinvaras my calves were always sore from the 'drop' from the Guide 3's. I could only run in the Kinvaras about twice a week initially.

I thought it was interesting to see how our bodies adapt over time to new equipment.

2011-11-16 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3904979

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain
I find that with various shoes too, though not to the extent you did.  Do the Guide's tilt a little different than the Kinvaras?  I'm using the Hattoris on the treadmill.  They're zero drop, and I can feel the 4mm when I go back to the Kinvaras, even from 1 easy run in the Hattoris.
2011-11-17 2:46 AM
in reply to: #3904998

User image

Veteran
Traveling
Same experience here. I used the Five Fingers and then tried to run in Newtons to get ready for my triathlon and had shin pain and had to use the FF for the triathlon. No issue going from the FF to the NB minimalist.
2011-11-17 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Gahanna, OH
I switch back and forth from Kinvara's and Vimeo's, with the Kinvara's being my primary.  I had the same foot pain you described and eased up on the milage and began massaging my calves.  Seemed to really help.  Back in the groove now and pay a lot more attention to the tightness of my calves.
2011-11-17 7:47 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"I thought it was interesting to see how our bodies adapt over time to new equipment."

It is interesting. It's also interesting that it's a tough sell for consumers to adopt this mindset with bike saddles.

With saddles, people often adopt an ethos of "keep switching saddles to get the 'right' one".

With running shoes, people seem more receptive to the idea of "you have to spend time to get acclimated to minimalist running."

The running industry has done a better job selling minimalist running than the bike industry has of selling a similar mindset with saddles. But then again, there is more money to be made selling one customer a number of saddles within two years. If people practiced good saddle comfort habits, we'd sell a lot less saddles. We don't want that. Money mouthSealedSurprised

So, take time getting used to minimalist shoes. Eventually everyone will acclimate. Undecided

But keep switching saddles until you find the magic one...   Money mouth

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2011-11-17 7:47 AM
2011-11-17 8:11 AM

User image

Expert

@Tom:  Well stated, I fell into the switching saddles trap but ran out of funds to keep switching.  My saddle discomfort was as much an issue with fitness and lack of time in the saddle as it was the saddle itself.  I tried 2 loaners and purchased another before finally running across a new/used saddle that was pulled from a bike build.  Having said that, I am still curious to try a Cobb saddle.  I don't know that I need to switch but they certainly are popular among triathletes.

BTW:  I love my Kinvara's and find my old go to Asics are spending less and less time on my feet.  I am curious to try a pair of the PowerGrid Cortana from Saucony.  It was explained to me they offer the same 4MM drop you get in the Kinvara's but a more durable soal and a little more cushioning which may be of some benefit on long runs.  I am just starting to rebuild mileage though so no need for them yet.  Perhaps in a couple of months.

2011-11-17 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I run in the Kinvaras and NB 1064s. Sometimes the trail minimus. I experience different soreness in my feet and my legs depending on the shoes I wear because of how my gait changes but I don't experience any pain. Running in the different types of shoes strongly encourages me to run smoothly and not rely on the shoes to correct deficiencies or absorb the pounding; certainly not to the extent when running barefoot, however I do find running in different styles of shoes enlightening.
2011-11-17 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Surprised you had that much pain. How far did you run? Shoes with 350 miles are getting near the end, plus the Guide is a fairly supportive stability shoe, while the Kinvara is a lightweight neutral shoe. What made you change from a stability shoe? Did you not need that support? Did you try the Mirage, which is essentially a stability version of the Kinvara? Since you've been wearing the Kinvara, have your stride and footstrike changed at all?

I switch back and forth between minimalist shoes and my regular neutral cushioned shoes with no problems at all. But since they're all essentially neutral there aren't the same issues as there might be when switching between dissimilar types of support.

2011-11-17 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
I have a few shoes in rotation between road (3) and trail (2) running. I get different aches and pains from each, but I figure that overall, it makes my body stronger and more adaptable.
2011-11-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3905634

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Donskiman - 2011-11-17 11:20 AM

Surprised you had that much pain. How far did you run?  Shoes with 350 miles are getting near the end, plus the Guide is a fairly supportive stability shoe, while the Kinvara is a lightweight neutral shoe. What made you change from a stability shoe? Did you not need that support? Did you try the Mirage, which is essentially a stability version of the Kinvara? Since you've been wearing the Kinvara, have your stride and footstrike changed at all?

I switch back and forth between minimalist shoes and my regular neutral cushioned shoes with no problems at all. But since they're all essentially neutral there aren't the same issues as there might be when switching between dissimilar types of support.

I was quite surprised myself, and also quite worried. It was only a five mile run at a pace about one minute slower than my easy run pace, so I was pretty perplexed. In December of last year I developed an achilles injury that had me with no running for 2+ months - I didn't want something like that to occur. From the reading that I did on peroneal tendons, one of the culprits is changing shoes, especially ones that have different drops from heel to toe.

I'm about 350 miles into one of my pairs of Kinvaras (out of three in circulation) and there is some wear, but I know I can easily get some more runs out of them. I'm hoping for 50-100 more miles of use before they're hung up. I'm a midfoot striker, which helps even out the wear (I think).

Edited by natethomas2000 2011-11-17 11:56 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimalist shoes --> 'Normal' running shoes and foot pain Rss Feed