General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-17 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH
Subject: TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks

Hi - I noticed that TrainerRoad comes up with a different value for TSS and IF than TrainingPeaks and wondering which one is more accurate.

Here is a little more background.  I do not have a power meter, but I have a Garmin 705 and track speed and HR during my rides on my KK Roadmachine.  I use TrainerRoad during my workouts and took their 20 min test to determine my LT (263).  I then pluged this in Training Peaks to set my zones (using Andy Goggan's 6 zones). 

When I finish a workout on TrainerRoad, I then upload my garmin file to TrainingPeaks and manually set the Avg Power and NP based on what TrainerRoad calculates.  But I always find the TrainerRoad TSS and IF as twice as what TrainingPeaks calculates. For example, on my last ride, TR calculated TSS at 42, but TP says its 20.

Does TrainingPeaks really need more than the Avg Power and NP for the ride to calculate TSS and IF?  Or is there something else going on?  Perhaps TP is also using my HR to determine TSS and IF.

Thanks,

Mike

2011-11-17 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3906485

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Subject: RE: TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks
I like the TrainerRoad sw but I get different numbers as well...I use an ibike...so my FTP on ibike indoors was 177, but on TR it was 240...so not sure what it right...your TSS and IF are based on your FTP.   So your effort was your effort and each program reads your FTP differently.

Edited by Blueraider_Mike 2011-11-17 7:07 PM
2011-11-17 7:39 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Can you compare TSS from other similar rides you have saved to TP with what you are getting now?  Have you put your weight and other info into your profile on Trainerroad?  I emailed the guys at Trainerroad with a few setup questions and heard back from them quickly...may be worth a try.

For what its worth I have PT and use WKO+ and TSS and IF seem consistent with Trainerroad.  I've only done 3 TR workouts so far but really like it.  

Good luck and hope you get it worked out.

Randy

2011-11-18 5:15 PM

mjengstrom - 2011-11-17 5:02 PM

Hi - I noticed that TrainerRoad comes up with a different value for TSS and IF than TrainingPeaks and wondering which one is more accurate.

Here is a little more background.  I do not have a power meter, but I have a Garmin 705 and track speed and HR during my rides on my KK Roadmachine.  I use TrainerRoad during my workouts and took their 20 min test to determine my LT (263).  I then pluged this in Training Peaks to set my zones (using Andy Goggan's 6 zones). 

When I finish a workout on TrainerRoad, I then upload my garmin file to TrainingPeaks and manually set the Avg Power and NP based on what TrainerRoad calculates.  But I always find the TrainerRoad TSS and IF as twice as what TrainingPeaks calculates. For example, on my last ride, TR calculated TSS at 42, but TP says its 20.

Does TrainingPeaks really need more than the Avg Power and NP for the ride to calculate TSS and IF?  Or is there something else going on?  Perhaps TP is also using my HR to determine TSS and IF.

Thanks,

Mike

Yo dude.

Are you using TSS based on HR for TrainingPeaks and TSS based on FTP for TrainerRoad? I'm guessing that's the problem.

Andrew Coogan created TSS and has stated that there is no TSS calculation for HR workouts. TrainingPeaks did their own formula and added this to their software, although I think it's more of a selling point then something actually useful. TSS from heart rate just doesn't work, so says Andrew Coogan.

For the TSS calc to work, you need the normalized power and your FTP. For that, you need every data point, not just an average.

I'm guessing you are looking at TSS based on HR in TrainingPeaks. If not, we can look at why it's different for power.

-Nate
2011-11-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3907794

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

I know TSS using HR is not that accurate, but it was all I had.  Which is why I was hoping TP would now be able to work off of the NP and Avg power I get from TR.  Since I entered in Avg Power and NP into TP I was hoping it would use that over HR, but there is no way to really now how it is calculating.  I did enter my FTP in the power zones setting in TP as well.  I guess, once TR can output a file with power, it will work much better.  Until then, maybe its better to just copy the TSS and IF from TR and use that in TP. 

2011-11-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3907875

mjengstrom - 2011-11-18 5:22 PM

I know TSS using HR is not that accurate, but it was all I had.  Which is why I was hoping TP would now be able to work off of the NP and Avg power I get from TR.  Since I entered in Avg Power and NP into TP I was hoping it would use that over HR, but there is no way to really now how it is calculating.  I did enter my FTP in the power zones setting in TP as well.  I guess, once TR can output a file with power, it will work much better.  Until then, maybe its better to just copy the TSS and IF from TR and use that in TP. 

Aw yes, looks like TP doesn't do that automatically for you. I think you've got it right, for now, copy in the TSS/IF into TP.

We will add the feature where your workouts will auto-publish to TP so you won't have to do this. We're still working on making sure we get everything recorded just right until we do that though. I think we're still a couple months out from completing that work.

-Nate

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TSS in TrainerRoad vs. Training Peaks Rss Feed