What's a Tebow?26 Votes - [17.11%]

2013-04-30 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3906878

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Subject: RE: Tebow!

tebow

I think he'd rather go to New England to play a different position than go to the CFL to play QB. JMO.  BB likes him and McD drafted him.

2013-04-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4721104

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
tri808 - 2013-04-30 2:19 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-29 11:54 AM
scoobysdad - 2013-04-29 4:46 PM
Kido - 2013-04-29 4:26 PM
cgregg - 2013-04-29 12:49 PM

Tebow doesn't have any talents.  Well, none that are useful in the NFL, anyway.

He is NOT a QB, and he's short and slow for a modern TE. At best, he's a fullback, but I don't see him accepting that role.

That's tough to agree to about someone who won the Heisman, first round draft pick, MADE it to the NFL (when so many don't).  Big, strong, good runner (maybe not as flashy as RG3).  Reports that he was a big time competitor, not a diva/cry baby like most of your wide receivers.  Seemed to get team mate to rally around him.

And again, he DID win some big time NFL games.  I'm not sure someone who doesn't have ANY NFL talent (like me) is going to go out there, take a beating for an entire game, then throw the winning TD pass in the first round of the playoffs.

I would agree that his quarterback game is not currently suited for the NFL.  But to GET to the NFL, means you have more talent than 99.99% of the rest of us at the game.  He has TONS of talent.  Just not enough to be a winning QB yet.

Except for the fact that he already is a winning NFL quarterback. Check the record. 8 - 6.

8-6 including two playoff games. 

That's what gets me.  He wins ugly.  I'd take a few ugly wins if I were about 10 NFL teams.  They're sure better than ugly losses.  Right Jets Fans?

FTR...Vince Young is 31-19 as a starter.  Just sayin...

Vince Young also blew-up off the field.  That's why he was dropped, not because coaches had some concept that he couldn't win. 

If Vince Young was Tebow off the field, he'd be starting. 

2013-04-30 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4721164

User image

Sous - 2013-04-30 2:45 PM The Omaha Beef (a Nebraska Indoor team) offered him a contract.

But I heard one of the contract terms is that he would have to change his name to TebowN... Get it? Get it?

2013-04-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4721277

User image

GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 10:50 AM
tri808 - 2013-04-30 2:19 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-29 11:54 AM
scoobysdad - 2013-04-29 4:46 PM
Kido - 2013-04-29 4:26 PM
cgregg - 2013-04-29 12:49 PM

Tebow doesn't have any talents.  Well, none that are useful in the NFL, anyway.

He is NOT a QB, and he's short and slow for a modern TE. At best, he's a fullback, but I don't see him accepting that role.

That's tough to agree to about someone who won the Heisman, first round draft pick, MADE it to the NFL (when so many don't).  Big, strong, good runner (maybe not as flashy as RG3).  Reports that he was a big time competitor, not a diva/cry baby like most of your wide receivers.  Seemed to get team mate to rally around him.

And again, he DID win some big time NFL games.  I'm not sure someone who doesn't have ANY NFL talent (like me) is going to go out there, take a beating for an entire game, then throw the winning TD pass in the first round of the playoffs.

I would agree that his quarterback game is not currently suited for the NFL.  But to GET to the NFL, means you have more talent than 99.99% of the rest of us at the game.  He has TONS of talent.  Just not enough to be a winning QB yet.

Except for the fact that he already is a winning NFL quarterback. Check the record. 8 - 6.

8-6 including two playoff games. 

That's what gets me.  He wins ugly.  I'd take a few ugly wins if I were about 10 NFL teams.  They're sure better than ugly losses.  Right Jets Fans?

FTR...Vince Young is 31-19 as a starter.  Just sayin...

Vince Young also blew-up off the field.  That's why he was dropped, not because coaches had some concept that he couldn't win. 

If Vince Young was Tebow off the field, he'd be starting. 

My simple point is that you can't judge a QB simply by his W/L record.

If a lot of players were Tebow off the field, they might be starting or HoF'ers with added work ethic.

The bottom line is that Tebow is Tebow off the field...and he's still not starting.

2013-04-30 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4720079

User image

Elite
Cleveland

powerman - 2013-04-29 11:07 PM Honestly, he's a good guy with a lot of talent and heart. But the QB position has really turned into such a skilled position, he's just not there. Heck, so darned skilled that half the starting QBs in the league are not any good at it. There are probably a lot of talented good guys with heart that do not make it in the NFL... not many that won the Heisman though.

Actually, there are a lot of Heisman winning QB's that don't pan out in the NFL.

Chris Weinke, Matt Leinhart, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Troy Smith, Danny Wuerfful, Charlie Ward, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware.  Carson Palmer was good for a while, but can't keep a job lately.  Cam Newton, Sam Bradford and RGIII get a lot of hype and praise so far, and look promising, but are far from having the book written on them.

When you look at this list, which includes EVERY Heisman QB since 1989, it is actually a far easier conclusion that a Heisman winning QB won't pan out in the NFL that it is that one will.

Edited by cgregg 2013-04-30 4:13 PM
2013-04-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4721324

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
cgregg - 2013-04-30 4:12 PM

powerman - 2013-04-29 11:07 PM Honestly, he's a good guy with a lot of talent and heart. But the QB position has really turned into such a skilled position, he's just not there. Heck, so darned skilled that half the starting QBs in the league are not any good at it. There are probably a lot of talented good guys with heart that do not make it in the NFL... not many that won the Heisman though.

Actually, there are a lot of Heisman winning QB's that don't pan out in the NFL.

Chris Weinke, Matt Leinhart, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Troy Smith, Danny Wuerfful, Charlie Ward, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware.  Carson Palmer was good for a while, but can't keep a job lately.  Cam Newton, Sam Bradford and RGIII get a lot of hype and praise so far, and look promising, but are far from having the book written on them.

When you look at this list, which includes EVERY Heisman QB since 1989, it is actually a far easier conclusion that a Heisman winning QB won't pan out in the NFL that it is that one will.

The difference between Tebow and all of those guys, with the exception of RGIII? Only Tebow has a winning record as a starting QB in the NFL.

And yes, last I checked, winning means something in the NFL. Just ask all those fired coaches, GM's and QB's who haven't.

Sorry, Vince Young is an exception. In addition to being a winner, a QB must also be a leader. When you bail on your team and go all psycho, you've kind of proven yourself unworthy of that title. Tebow, on the other hand, has done nothing but conduct himself in an exemplary manner.

2013-04-30 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4721347

User image

Elite
Cleveland

scoobysdad - 2013-04-30 5:28 PM The difference between Tebow and all of those guys

Is that almost any one of those guys would have been able to take the job away from Mark Sanchez.

Having a winning record is easy when you're dropped onto a playoff caliber team and just have to minimize mistakes (< 50% completion percentage).  It also helps when opposing defenses inexplicably refuse to account for you at the end of games, virtually daring you to run on them, even though they KNOW that is what you do.

As for his personal conduct, like I said, I'm sure he's a great guy off the field and all that and he deserves respect as anyone would for that.... but that doesn't count for anything on the field.

2013-04-30 4:52 PM

User image

scoobysdad - 2013-04-30 4:28 PM

The difference between Tebow and all of those guys, with the exception of RGIII? Only Tebow has a winning record as a starting QB in the NFL. And yes, last I checked, winning means something in the NFL. Just ask all those fired coaches, GM's and QB's who haven't. Sorry, Vince Young is an exception. In addition to being a winner, a QB must also be a leader. When you bail on your team and go all psycho, you've kind of proven yourself unworthy of that title. Tebow, on the other hand, has done nothing but conduct himself in an exemplary manner...And Win Ball Games.

Fixed it for you...

2013-04-30 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
scoobysdad - 2013-04-30 3:28 PM

The difference between Tebow and all of those guys, with the exception of RGIII? Only Tebow has a winning record as a starting QB in the NFL. And yes, last I checked, winning means something in the NFL. Just ask all those fired coaches, GM's and QB's who haven't. Sorry, Vince Young is an exception. In addition to being a winner, a QB must also be a leader. When you bail on your team and go all psycho, you've kind of proven yourself unworthy of that title. Tebow, on the other hand, has done nothing but conduct himself in an exemplary manner.

Sure he has a winning record, however his style of play (and RGIIIs) is not good for a QB in the NFL.  If the Broncos had beaten the Patriots in the divisional round Tebow would not have been able to play against the Ravens because he broke a rib against the Patriots.  

Tebow is a great athlete but since he was run first QB in HS and College no one was ever concerned about his passing skills.  Who knows?  Maybe a year or two in the CFL will help him develop those passing skills so that he can return to the NFL.

2013-04-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4721369

User image

cgregg - 2013-04-30 4:47 PM

scoobysdad - 2013-04-30 5:28 PM The difference between Tebow and all of those guys

Is that almost any one of those guys would have been able to take the job away from Mark Sanchez.

Having a winning record is easy when you're dropped onto a playoff caliber team and just have to minimize mistakes (< 50% completion percentage).  It also helps when opposing defenses inexplicably refuse to account for you at the end of games, virtually daring you to run on them, even though they KNOW that is what you do.

As for his personal conduct, like I said, I'm sure he's a great guy off the field and all that and he deserves respect as anyone would for that.... but that doesn't count for anything on the field.

The Broncos were 4-12 in 2010.  They were 1-4 the first 5 weeks of the season until Tebow took over.  Once he was QB, they won 9, lost 4 including a 6-game win streak.  He hasn't started since the loss to the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.

Rex Ryan wouldn't start any of those guys over Sanchez.  There's something strange going on between those two...  Tattoos, feet, pictures, internet, just plain Strange...

2013-04-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4721378

User image

rick4657 - 2013-04-30 4:54 PM

The difference between Tebow and all of those guys, with the exception of RGIII? Only Tebow has a winning record as a starting QB in the NFL. And yes, last I checked, winning means something in the NFL. Just ask all those fired coaches, GM's and QB's who haven't. Sorry, Vince Young is an exception. In addition to being a winner, a QB must also be a leader. When you bail on your team and go all psycho, you've kind of proven yourself unworthy of that title. Tebow, on the other hand, has done nothing but conduct himself in an exemplary manner.

Sure he has a winning record, however his style of play (and RGIIIs) is not good for a QB in the NFL.  If the Broncos had beaten the Patriots in the divisional round Tebow would not have been able to play against the Ravens because he broke a rib against the Patriots.  

Tebow is a great athlete but since he was run first QB in HS and College no one was ever concerned about his passing skills.  Who knows?  Maybe a year or two in the CFL will help him develop those passing skills so that he can return to the NFL.

He was an elite 11 in 2005.  That's a pretty good indicator of his passing abilities in High School.  The Wikis have quite a lot to say about his passing stats in College...Pretty good passer...

At the end of his college career, Tebow held 5 NCAA, 14 Southeastern Conference, and 28 University of Florida statistical records.[71] He was the SEC's all-time leader in career passing efficiency (170.8), completion percentage (67.1%), passing touchdown to interception ratio (5.5 to 1), rushing yards by a quarterback (2947), rushing touchdowns (any position) (57), and total touchdowns responsible for (145).[2][72] Among many mentions in the NCAA Division-I record book, Tebow is ranked second in career passing efficiency, third in career yards per attempt (9.33), 8th in career rushing touchdowns, and also owns the record for most consecutive games in which he both threw at least one touchdown pass and scored at least one rushing touchdown (14).[73]

2013-04-30 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4721384

User image

Elite
GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 6:03 PM
rick4657 - 2013-04-30 4:54 PM

He was an elite 11 in 2005.  That's a pretty good indicator of his passing abilities in High School.  The Wikis have quite a lot to say about his passing stats in College...Pretty good passer...

At the end of his college career, Tebow held 5 NCAA, 14 Southeastern Conference, and 28 University of Florida statistical records.[71] He was the SEC's all-time leader in career passing efficiency (170.8), completion percentage (67.1%), passing touchdown to interception ratio (5.5 to 1), rushing yards by a quarterback (2947), rushing touchdowns (any position) (57), and total touchdowns responsible for (145).[2][72] Among many mentions in the NCAA Division-I record book, Tebow is ranked second in career passing efficiency, third in career yards per attempt (9.33), 8th in career rushing touchdowns, and also owns the record for most consecutive games in which he both threw at least one touchdown pass and scored at least one rushing touchdown (14).[73]

Well, you've convinced me with those stats that Tebow does have a future as a quarterback...in college.  Buuut, since his eligibility is used up, the next best option for him is the CFL.  I am not saying that as a knock on Tebow.  He just needs a wider field.  

2013-04-30 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4721380

User image

GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 11:58 AM

The Broncos were 4-12 in 2010.  They were 1-4 the first 5 weeks of the season until Tebow took over.  Once he was QB, they won 9, lost 4 including a 6-game win streak.  He hasn't started since the loss to the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Playoffs.

Rex Ryan wouldn't start any of those guys over Sanchez.  There's something strange going on between those two...  Tattoos, feet, pictures, internet, just plain Strange...

The opponents the Broncos played in the first 5 games of the season that Tebow didn't start in were a collective 49-31.  None of them had losing records to end the season.

The opponents the Broncos played in the 11 regular season games that Tebow started in were a collective 84-92. 

The last 5 games of the season, including the playoffs (all with Tebow), Denver went 1-4, and was outscored 156-79.  Including a 40-14 loss to the Bills that were on a 7 game losing streak.

During those last 5 games, this was Tebow's stats.

49-150 (32.7%)
891 yards (178 per game)
5.94 ypa
3 passing TD
4 INT (including 2 returned for TDs)
15 sacks and 124 yards lost on sacks
43 rush for 206 yards (4.8 ypc, 41.2 ypg)
4 rushing TDs
6 fumbles and 4 fumbles lost

But I suppose when you set all kinds of college passing records...none of this stuff matters.

2013-04-30 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3906878

User image

If you read what I highlighted in Rick's post was that he said Tebow was not skilled as a passer at the high school and college days. I think its clear he was quite a skilled passer.

You're right to call out the opponents, but no 1-4 team would be accurately described as a "playoff caliber" team especially when the same Team went 4-12 the year prior.

All I know is when he plays he wins and until he gets on the field and proves me wrong, that is an inarguable point.
2013-04-30 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4721532

User image

Elite
tri808 - 2013-04-30 6:10 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 11:58 AM

The opponents the Broncos played in the first 5 games of the season that Tebow didn't start in were a collective 49-31.  None of them had losing records to end the season.

The opponents the Broncos played in the 11 regular season games that Tebow started in were a collective 84-92. 

The last 5 games of the season, including the playoffs (all with Tebow), Denver went 1-4, and was outscored 156-79.  Including a 40-14 loss to the Bills that were on a 7 game losing streak.

During those last 5 games, this was Tebow's stats.

49-150 (32.7%)
891 yards (178 per game)
5.94 ypa
3 passing TD
4 INT (including 2 returned for TDs)
15 sacks and 124 yards lost on sacks
43 rush for 206 yards (4.8 ypc, 41.2 ypg)
4 rushing TDs
6 fumbles and 4 fumbles lost

But I suppose when you set all kinds of college passing records...none of this stuff matters.

Come on... how many good QBs have the same debut in the NFL? Heck, Elway sucked his first year. Most do. Luck and RG3 are the extreme exception. Not many go straight to the NFL and start off where they left off... and most that do are Hall of Famers. And as demanding as the modern QB position is, it is even more unlikely. They are very rare. There is a learning curve for most mortal NFL players.

2013-04-30 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4721561

User image

Elite
Cleveland

In breaking news, the Omaha Beef have offered him a contract. They are even willing to pay him $75 per game!

Their current QB, James McNear thinks Timmy can learn a lot from him. 

You can't make this stuff up.

[Edit: he also has a job waiting for him as a backup with the Montreal Allouettes, if he chooses to have them take a look at him]

I'm certainly no expert, but as a Browns fan, I've seen my fair share of bad QB's (over, and over, and over again)... and Tebow is, well, not a GOOD QB.  He actually reminds me a lot of Charlie Frye, but bigger and with slightly better wheels.  Frye throws a nicer ball, though.... and that's actually pretty bad.  Frye threw enough wobbly ducks to open a sportsman club, and Tebow is not as good of a passer as Frye was.

Edited by cgregg 2013-04-30 10:17 PM

2013-05-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4721757

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
cgregg - 2013-04-30 10:54 PM

In breaking news, the Omaha Beef have offered him a contract. They are even willing to pay him $75 per game!

Their current QB, James McNear thinks Timmy can learn a lot from him. 

You can't make this stuff up.

[Edit: he also has a job waiting for him as a backup with the Montreal Allouettes, if he chooses to have them take a look at him]

I'm certainly no expert, but as a Browns fan, I've seen my fair share of bad QB's (over, and over, and over again)... and Tebow is, well, not a GOOD QB.  He actually reminds me a lot of Charlie Frye, but bigger and with slightly better wheels.  Frye throws a nicer ball, though.... and that's actually pretty bad.  Frye threw enough wobbly ducks to open a sportsman club, and Tebow is not as good of a passer as Frye was.

Actually I broke that news at about 7 hours prior.... Wink

2013-05-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4721559

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 8:31 PM 

All I know is when he plays he wins and until he gets on the field and proves me wrong, that is an inarguable point.

Apparently winning is not the only thing. Go figure. I suppose we should take Vince's name off the trophy now.

2013-05-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4721559

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA

GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 5:31 PM If you read what I highlighted in Rick's post was that he said Tebow was not skilled as a passer at the high school and college days. I think its clear he was quite a skilled passer.

You're right to call out the opponents, but no 1-4 team would be accurately described as a "playoff caliber" team especially when the same Team went 4-12 the year prior.

I think that there are 32 GMs who would argue that he won't win. Or maybe its a conspiracy against him.

2013-05-02 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4724280

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
What is the record for numbers of pages for a non-TAN, non-political thread? This one has to be up there, right? Not bad for a backup QB.

Edited by scoobysdad 2013-05-02 12:40 PM
2013-05-02 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4724280

User image

uclamatt2007 - 2013-05-02 12:17 PM

GomesBolt - 2013-04-30 5:31 PM If you read what I highlighted in Rick's post was that he said Tebow was not skilled as a passer at the high school and college days. I think its clear he was quite a skilled passer.

I think that there are 32 GMs who would argue that he won't win. Or maybe its a conspiracy against him.

They can argue all they want.  The facts are on Tim's side.  

He wins games.

2013-05-02 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4724423

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Not any more ;-)
2013-05-02 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4724427

User image

cgregg - 2013-05-02 1:23 PM Not any more ;-)

When he starts he wins games...

or

When his coach shows a little faith he wins games...

Better?

2013-05-02 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4724435

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
GomesBolt - 2013-05-02 11:24 AM

or

Better?

So are we going with the only reason he isn't starting for an NFL team is that no one believes in him?

While it sounds like a great future made for tv movie plot, his shoddy throwing mechanics and questionable accuracy probably have a lot more to do with it. Running QBs can be a great weapon as SEA, SF and WASH showed last year, but the thing is that you need a QB that can run, not a RB who can throw the ball 8 times a game.

2013-05-02 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4724435

User image

Elite
Cleveland
GomesBolt - 2013-05-02 2:24 PM

or

Better?

Phrase it however you want... the simple fact is that if he can't get a job anywhere, then he DOESN'T win games at all, anymore.  Everything else is a song by Springsteen.... "Glory Days"  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tebow! Rss Feed  

of 22