Hate him!31 Votes - [20.39%]
What's a Tebow?26 Votes - [17.11%]

2013-05-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3906878

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Tebow!
I have never understood all the fascination over Tebow.  People love to argue about his value, but unless you are an NFL scout, you know very little about Tebow. There is a reason nobody wants him and a reason that no NFL team is making him a starter.  I admit to having very little knowledge about NFL scouting, but even I knew years ago that he was nothing more than a mediocre QB.  Why?  Because most of the analysts and scouts were saying that then.  To predict he was anything better than that is usually kind of silly IMO.

2013-05-02 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Sure Tebow had great passing numbers in college.  That was because the offenses that he was in were built around his ability to run.  If you watched UF games you saw that many of his passing yards came because defenses had eight in the box and left his WRs in one on one where they could gain a large amount of yards after the catch.  In college almost no one could cover Harvin or Murphy one on one.

Tebow's TD pass to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs was a short pass followed by a great run by Thomas because Pitt was looking for Tebow to run.  I was at the regular season loss to New England, once the Broncos fell behind and Tebow was forced to sit in the pocket it was UGLY.  Tebow showed no composure and tried to force the ball to covered receivers every time.  As I mentioned yesterday, the CFL may be his best option to eventually start and learn rather than holding a clip board.

2013-05-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4724559

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
rick4657 - 2013-05-02 1:10 PM

Sure Tebow had great passing numbers in college.  That was because the offenses that he was in were built around his ability to run.  If you watched UF games you saw that many of his passing yards came because defenses had eight in the box and left his WRs in one on one where they could gain a large amount of yards after the catch.  In college almost no one could cover Harvin or Murphy one on one.

Tebow's TD pass to beat Pittsburgh in the playoffs was a short pass followed by a great run by Thomas because Pitt was looking for Tebow to run.  I was at the regular season loss to New England, once the Broncos fell behind and Tebow was forced to sit in the pocket it was UGLY.  Tebow showed no composure and tried to force the ball to covered receivers every time.  As I mentioned yesterday, the CFL may be his best option to eventually start and learn rather than holding a clip board.

One caveat to that - he didnt exactly have an all star cast to throw to either.....
When forced to just throw MOST NFL teams struggle...hence the repetitive commentary that you "have to take away the run and make a team one dimensional"
2013-05-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4724592

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Bcozican - 2013-05-02 2:22 PM

One caveat to that - he didnt exactly have an all star cast to throw to either..... When forced to just throw MOST NFL teams struggle...hence the repetitive commentary that you "have to take away the run and make a team one dimensional"

Just to add to the above (because I'm sure someone's gonna mention Peyton Manning).  Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas are the only two players from the same team in the top 10 for dropped passes.  I recall several games where they dropped most of the passes Tim Tebow threw to them in 2011.  

I thought maybe he doesn't throw a catchable ball, but it turns out that nope, they dropped the ball for Peyton too.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

Peyton just had other guys to go to.  

Let me ask this question.  Who thinks he'll never play another snap on an NFL field?

I'll say it right now that I think he'll start again for another NFL team before the end of next year.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-05-02 2:44 PM
2013-05-02 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4724642

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
GomesBolt - 2013-05-02 12:43 PM
Bcozican - 2013-05-02 2:22 PM

One caveat to that - he didnt exactly have an all star cast to throw to either..... When forced to just throw MOST NFL teams struggle...hence the repetitive commentary that you "have to take away the run and make a team one dimensional"

Just to add to the above (because I'm sure someone's gonna mention Peyton Manning).  Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas are the only two players from the same team in the top 10 for dropped passes.  I recall several games where they dropped most of the passes Tim Tebow threw to them in 2011.  

I thought maybe he doesn't throw a catchable ball, but it turns out that nope, they dropped the ball for Peyton too.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/

Peyton just had other guys to go to.  

Let me ask this question.  Who thinks he'll never play another snap on an NFL field?

I'll say it right now that I think he'll start again for another NFL team before the end of next year.

As long as the Raiders and Jags are in the league, the possibility for terrible decisions are limitless.

2013-05-02 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I think that after a couple of years in the CFL Tebow will be back in the NFL.   Years ago no one wanted Warren Moon in the NFL, once he developed his skills he threw for 25,000+ yards North and South of the Canadian Border.

2013-05-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4724677

User image

rick4657 - 2013-05-02 2:52 PM I think that after a couple of years in the CFL Tebow will be back in the NFL.   Years ago no one wanted Warren Moon in the NFL, once he developed his skills he threw for 25,000+ yards North and South of the Canadian Border.

Warren Moon piled-on today as well saying Tebow couldn't play QB in Canada.  Cracks me up how these guys pile-on.  If someone had dumped on them when they were trying to get on a team, they wouldn't have liked it very much. 

I think Tebow should go stock shelves in the Hyvee in Iowa and play Arena Ball for a few years and then go win a few super bowls...

2013-05-02 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4724856

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I remember when they said Doug Flutie couldn't play in the NFL, either. He turned out to be pretty good.

2013-05-02 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4724901

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm personally tired of the Tebow debate.

I think he's a good kid, has talent, and I like him.  I hope things work out well for him.

2013-05-02 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Central Mass
GomesBolt - 2013-05-02 5:09 PM

rick4657 - 2013-05-02 2:52 PM I think that after a couple of years in the CFL Tebow will be back in the NFL.   Years ago no one wanted Warren Moon in the NFL, once he developed his skills he threw for 25,000+ yards North and South of the Canadian Border.

Warren Moon piled-on today as well saying Tebow couldn't play QB in Canada.  Cracks me up how these guys pile-on.  If someone had dumped on them when they were trying to get on a team, they wouldn't have liked it very much. 

I think Tebow should go stock shelves in the Hyvee in Iowa and play Arena Ball for a few years and then go win a few super bowls...

Well, if there are two people who could talk about the CFL vs NFL, it would be Moon and Flutie.

If everyone remembers, Flutie was thought of as too short (only 5'10), and Moon was too black to start QB in 78 (sad but true).  Guys that short still have troubles getting drafted as QB - Wilson is (supposedly) 5'11, but Flutie was much more decorated.  Wilson, Vick, and Brees are the only starting QBs listed under 6'2 (Brees and Vick are both listed at 6'0")

A couple other things against Tebow - he's already gotten a chance, and played himself out of the NFL.  Flutie and Moon didn't get a chance in the first place.

And the Aluettes own Tebow's rights and already have the #1 passer in the CFL.  To get playing time, he'll have to get traded/transfered/whatever the CFL does.  However, their QB is 40...  But Testaverde started at 44 years old.

Just a side note, Moon passed for ~21,000 yrds in the CFL and almost 50,000 yrds in the NFL (52K inc. playoffs).

2013-05-02 5:49 PM

User image

Elite

To put Tim Tebow in the same sentence as Warren Moon is blasphemous.

I love Timmy to death.  He seems like a nice guy and a good role model.  But a starting NFL quarterback he aint.  I would take that bet about Tebow starting this year in the NFL.   The only way a team signs Tebow and has him start a game would be a team either dealing with massive injuries or a team that is having trouble selling seats and/or jerseys.  

I wish him luck.

2013-05-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4724988

User image

scorpio516 - 2013-05-02 5:35 PM

Well, if there are two people who could talk about the CFL vs NFL, it would be Moon and Flutie.

If everyone remembers, Flutie was thought of as too short (only 5'10), and Moon was too black to start QB in 78 (sad but true).  Guys that short still have troubles getting drafted as QB - Wilson is (supposedly) 5'11, but Flutie was much more decorated.  Wilson, Vick, and Brees are the only starting QBs listed under 6'2 (Brees and Vick are both listed at 6'0")

A couple other things against Tebow - he's already gotten a chance, and played himself out of the NFL.  Flutie and Moon didn't get a chance in the first place.

And the Aluettes own Tebow's rights and already have the #1 passer in the CFL.  To get playing time, he'll have to get traded/transfered/whatever the CFL does.  However, their QB is 40...  But Testaverde started at 44 years old.

Just a side note, Moon passed for ~21,000 yrds in the CFL and almost 50,000 yrds in the NFL (52K inc. playoffs).

I know all about Flutie and Moon.  I'm probably one of the few people in this thread who has been to multiple CFL games (Baltimore had the CFL Colts for a few years and I went to about 8 games).

My point was when Flutie or Moon were trying to get a spot in the CFL or in the NFL I wonder how they felt about their detractors?  And now here's Moon detracting for some reason.  I was also a big Houston Oilers fan until they moved, so I do love me some Warren Moon.  But that doesn't seem too classy.  In the interview today, he said he didn't get drafted in the NFL because of his color, but really his College stats weren't good, that's why nobody picked him in the NFL.    

Even Vegas doesn't want to take action on this one... Or they can't, but you know what I mean...

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2013-05-02/tim-tebow-contract-betting-prop-odds-las-vegas-next-team-jets-released

ETA- I see your point about Tebow getting a chance and playing himself out of the NFL.  I just don't know if he really got a chance or if he was given a crappy (4-12, 1-4) team and did the best he could with what he had.  

We'll see if/when he gets his next chances.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-05-02 6:03 PM
2013-05-02 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4725009

User image

ChineseDemocracy - 2013-05-02 5:49 PM

I love Timmy to death.  He seems like a nice guy and a good role model.  But a starting NFL quarterback he aint.  I would take that bet about Tebow starting this year in the NFL.   The only way a team signs Tebow and has him start a game would be a team either dealing with massive injuries or a team that is having trouble selling seats and/or jerseys.  

I wish him luck.

Warren Moon put Timmy in the same sentence with himself when he said this:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9234640/warren-moon-tim-tebow-throwing-not-cut-cfl

2013-05-02 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4725009

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-05-02 3:49 PM

I wish him luck.

I agree with this, and I like the kid.  I just defend him against the "he has NO talent" or "he can't throw" blah blah blah.

He has and he can.  Maybe just short of what an NFL QB need, perhaps.

I also think he just wasn't given a chance.  But I'm also assuming the coaches see him day in day out in practice.  If he COULD lead a team, it would probably show up in practice enough for them to see.  He obviously isn't showing SOMETHING they want to see.

Teams may also be hesitant to revamp their team in passing league to accommodate him.

I keep thinking if he just got some passing coaching - but probably has had that his whole career.  I like to hope the kid can learn and improve with more reps.  I would love to see him back in the NFL someday. 

Crazier things have happened.  Kurt Warner went from Stocking shelves to MVP and HoF player...

2013-05-02 8:41 PM

User image

I would be really surprised if Tebow could even last a 16 game season in the NFL given the way he plays.  There are a ton of saftey rules in place to protect QBs in the pocket and receivers these days because the hits are so brutal.

It's one thing if you're a fast enough or quick enough QB to evade defenders then slide or run out of bounds.  But when your running style is predicated on breaking tackles, running over guys, or dragging guys for extra yards...that's how you get hurt eventually.  RBs have the luxury of taking a few plays off after taking a big hit.  Or it's generally "okay" if your RB misses a game or two over the course of the season due to a few minor injuries.  It's precisely why teams regualarly rotate through 3-4 RBs a game.  Same with every other position.  QBs are the one position where you're expected to play every snap and every game.  I don't see that happening with Tebow until he becomes a throw first QB.  QBs are already prone to getting injured when passing as it is.  Tebow's style pretty much guarantees you that your backup will play each season.

2013-05-02 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4725194

User image

tri808 - 2013-05-02 8:41 PM

I would be really surprised if Tebow could even last a 16 game season in the NFL given the way he plays.  There are a ton of saftey rules in place to protect QBs in the pocket and receivers these days because the hits are so brutal.

It's one thing if you're a fast enough or quick enough QB to evade defenders then slide or run out of bounds.  But when your running style is predicated on breaking tackles, running over guys, or dragging guys for extra yards...that's how you get hurt eventually.  RBs have the luxury of taking a few plays off after taking a big hit.  Or it's generally "okay" if your RB misses a game or two over the course of the season due to a few minor injuries.  It's precisely why teams regualarly rotate through 3-4 RBs a game.  Same with every other position.  QBs are the one position where you're expected to play every snap and every game.  I don't see that happening with Tebow until he becomes a throw first QB.  QBs are already prone to getting injured when passing as it is.  Tebow's style pretty much guarantees you that your backup will play each season.

Same thing goes for Cam Newton, Mike Vick, RGIII... They can throw a tight spiral, but they all take big hits from runs.

2013-05-03 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Mark Sanchez threw Tebow a going-away party. It was intercepted and returned for a touchdown.

bah-dum-bump.
2013-05-03 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4725531

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-03 8:48 AM Mark Sanchez threw Tebow a going-away party. It was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. bah-dum-bump.

See now, that just made me laugh... good one!Laughing

2013-05-03 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Personally, I wouldn't even think about bringing Tebow onto any team in the league. He brings a circus with him. If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow. Imagine if Dallas signed him. Romo throws 4 INT's in a game(it will happen) suddenly everyone is clamoring for Tebow to come in and replace Romo, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the record Gomes, it the Seafhawks signed Tebow, he'd be cut before the season started because we're so stacked, we're going to be cutting guys I wish we could keep.

2013-05-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4725644

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:40 AM

Personally, I wouldn't even think about bringing Tebow onto any team in the league. He brings a circus with him. If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow. Imagine if Dallas signed him. Romo throws 4 INT's in a game(it will happen) suddenly everyone is clamoring for Tebow to come in and replace Romo, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the record Gomes, it the Seafhawks signed Tebow, he'd be cut before the season started because we're so stacked, we're going to be cutting guys I wish we could keep.

we can dream...
2013-05-03 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4725652

User image

Elite
Boise
pitt83 - 2013-05-03 7:44 AM
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:40 AM

we can dream...

As much as I enjoy Cowboy's fans Romo nightmares, he is much better than Tebow. All it would do is create a QB controversy when there shouldn't be one.

2013-05-03 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4725644

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM

If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow.

Which is why you make Tebow the unquestioned starter, win games and sell tickets/jerseys.

2013-05-03 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4725679

User image

Elite
Boise

scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 7:55 AM
JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow.
Which is why you make Tebow the unquestioned starter, win games and sell tickets/jerseys.

Hey, I rode the Tebow victory train to a couple of weekly office pick em wins. There is only about 1 guy I'd rather have Tebow over and that's Sanchez. Apparently, given that chance though, he still couldn't get the job.

2013-05-03 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4725698

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:11 AM

JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow.

Hey, I rode the Tebow victory train to a couple of weekly office pick em wins. There is only about 1 guy I'd rather have Tebow over and that's Sanchez. Apparently, given that chance though, he still couldn't get the job.

Not buying it for a second. As Gomes pointed out earlier, it's not possible to play the position worse than Sanchez did for stretches last year. Something weird was going on for Tebow not to be even given a shot at the position. He showed too much potential to turn around a team-- whether by his talents, leadership skills, luck or combination of all three-- not to have been given a chance on a miserable, hopelessly foundering team like the Jets.

2013-05-03 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4725717

User image

Elite
Boise
scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 8:24 AM
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:11 AM

Not buying it for a second. As Gomes pointed out earlier, it's not possible to play the position worse than Sanchez did for stretches last year. Something weird was going on for Tebow not to be even given a shot at the position. He showed too much potential to turn around a team-- whether by his talents, leadership skills, luck or combination of all three-- not to have been given a chance on a miserable, hopelessly foundering team like the Jets.

(I only read the last 3 pages, so maybe this was hashed out)

Weren't there multiple players in the Jets locker room who were saying that Tebow was just awful?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tebow-terrible-jets-mates-rip-qb-article-1.1201722

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tebow! Rss Feed  

of 22