User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Tebow!
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:31 AM

scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 8:24 AM
JoshR - 2013-05-03 9:11 AM

scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 7:55 AM
JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow.
Which is why you make Tebow the unquestioned starter, win games and sell tickets/jerseys.

Hey, I rode the Tebow victory train to a couple of weekly office pick em wins. There is only about 1 guy I'd rather have Tebow over and that's Sanchez. Apparently, given that chance though, he still couldn't get the job.

Not buying it for a second. As Gomes pointed out earlier, it's not possible to play the position worse than Sanchez did for stretches last year. Something weird was going on for Tebow not to be even given a shot at the position. He showed too much potential to turn around a team-- whether by his talents, leadership skills, luck or combination of all three-- not to have been given a chance on a miserable, hopelessly foundering team like the Jets.

(I only read the last 3 pages, so maybe this was hashed out)

Weren't there multiple players in the Jets locker room who were saying that Tebow was just awful?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tebow-terrible-jets-mates-rip-qb-article-1.1201722

You mean these players? From your article:

“Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.”

Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.”

Perhaps Sanchez's teammates think he's a really great guy. Maybe they resented the attention Tebow got on a daily basis. Maybe Sanchez always buys the drinks after the game. Who knows why some of his teammates didn't push for a change? The results on the field certainly argued for a switch. How much do you want to trust the judgment of guys who will come out and publicly bash their own teammate in the press?

2013-05-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4725644

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM

Personally, I wouldn't even think about bringing Tebow onto any team in the league. He brings a circus with him. If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow. Imagine if Dallas signed him. Romo throws 4 INT's in a game(it will happen) suddenly everyone is clamoring for Tebow to come in and replace Romo, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the record Gomes, it the Seafhawks signed Tebow, he'd be cut before the season started because we're so stacked, we're going to be cutting guys I wish we could keep.

hahaha..

I'm waiting for the NFL Season predictions thread.  

Seahawks are going to go 16-0, write it down!!! CHAMPIONSHIIIIP!!!

Of course I added that...

2013-05-03 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4725771

User image

scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 9:48 AM

JoshR - 2013-05-03 8:40 AM If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow.
Which is why you make Tebow the unquestioned starter, win games and sell tickets/jerseys.

Hey, I rode the Tebow victory train to a couple of weekly office pick em wins. There is only about 1 guy I'd rather have Tebow over and that's Sanchez. Apparently, given that chance though, he still couldn't get the job.

Not buying it for a second. As Gomes pointed out earlier, it's not possible to play the position worse than Sanchez did for stretches last year. Something weird was going on for Tebow not to be even given a shot at the position. He showed too much potential to turn around a team-- whether by his talents, leadership skills, luck or combination of all three-- not to have been given a chance on a miserable, hopelessly foundering team like the Jets.

Weren't there multiple players in the Jets locker room who were saying that Tebow was just awful?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tebow-terrible-jets-mates-rip-qb-article-1.1201722

You mean these players? From your article: “Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.” Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.” Perhaps Sanchez's teammates think he's a really great guy. Maybe they resented the attention Tebow got on a daily basis. Maybe Sanchez always buys the drinks after the game. Who knows why some of his teammates didn't push for a change? The results on the field certainly argued for a switch. How much do you want to trust the judgment of guys who will come out and publicly bash their own teammate in the press?

I said it earlier, but it bears repeating that when he was on the Broncos, he was throwing to two of the worst sets of hands in the NFL, Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas.

I don't even wanna look at the Jets roster.  

2013-05-03 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4725784

User image

Elite
Boise
GomesBolt - 2013-05-03 8:55 AM

Personally, I wouldn't even think about bringing Tebow onto any team in the league. He brings a circus with him. If you have even a remotely questionable starter, people are going to start clamoring for Tebow. Imagine if Dallas signed him. Romo throws 4 INT's in a game(it will happen) suddenly everyone is clamoring for Tebow to come in and replace Romo, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

For the record Gomes, it the Seafhawks signed Tebow, he'd be cut before the season started because we're so stacked, we're going to be cutting guys I wish we could keep.

hahaha..

I'm waiting for the NFL Season predictions thread.  

Seahawks are going to go 16-0, write it down!!! CHAMPIONSHIIIIP!!!

Of course I added that...

Oh and thanks for posting my comment for me. Saves me the effort. 19-0!

2013-05-03 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4725790

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-03 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4725717

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 9:24 AM

By "weird" do you mean something like, "The head coach has a tattoo showing a sexy likeness of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tatted-rex-kinky-in...

'Cause, you know, that would be weird.

2013-05-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4725915

wgraves7582 - 2013-05-03 10:54 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-05-03 10:56 AM
scoobysdad - 2013-05-03 9:48 AM

You mean these players? From your article: “Look at some of the players he’s throwing to,” a Jets official said. “It’s garbage.” Said another Jets source: “I’ve seen better receiving corps in college than we have on our team.” Perhaps Sanchez's teammates think he's a really great guy. Maybe they resented the attention Tebow got on a daily basis. Maybe Sanchez always buys the drinks after the game. Who knows why some of his teammates didn't push for a change? The results on the field certainly argued for a switch. How much do you want to trust the judgment of guys who will come out and publicly bash their own teammate in the press?

I said it earlier, but it bears repeating that when he was on the Broncos, he was throwing to two of the worst sets of hands in the NFL, Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas.

I don't even wanna look at the Jets roster.  

They looked pretty good last season with Peyton throwing to them if I recall correctly Cool

Go back and look at the article I posted, they are the only two receivers from the same team in the top-10 in dropped passes last season.  They can't catch the ball.

Peyton probably threatened to bench them if they dropped the ball but they still dropped the stupid ball more than all but a few receivers... 

2013-05-03 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4725931

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-03 11:02 AM

By "weird" do you mean something like, "The head coach has a tattoo showing a sexy likeness of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tatted-rex-kinky-in...

'Cause, you know, that would be weird.

Exactly. All along we thought Sanchez must have compromising pictures of Rex to have kept his job. Turns out Rex had compromising pictures of Sanchez (or at least his jersey).

Sorry, that is just effed up.

2013-05-03 12:45 PM

Expert
Boise, ID
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-03 10:02 AM

By "weird" do you mean something like, "The head coach has a tattoo showing a sexy likeness of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey?" http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tatted-rex-kinky-in... 'Cause, you know, that would be weird.

HAHA! I have never heard the term "bedroom eyes" before. Gonna have to remember that one!

2013-05-03 2:04 PM

Veteran
St. Louis
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-05-03 11:02 AM

By "weird" do you mean something like, "The head coach has a tattoo showing a sexy likeness of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey?" http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tatted-rex-kinky-in... 'Cause, you know, that would be weird.

That is unfounded speculation.  She could have been wearing a Bubby Brister jersey.

2013-05-03 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4725266

GomesBolt - 2013-05-02 4:53 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-02 8:41 PM

I would be really surprised if Tebow could even last a 16 game season in the NFL given the way he plays.  There are a ton of saftey rules in place to protect QBs in the pocket and receivers these days because the hits are so brutal.

It's one thing if you're a fast enough or quick enough QB to evade defenders then slide or run out of bounds.  But when your running style is predicated on breaking tackles, running over guys, or dragging guys for extra yards...that's how you get hurt eventually.  RBs have the luxury of taking a few plays off after taking a big hit.  Or it's generally "okay" if your RB misses a game or two over the course of the season due to a few minor injuries.  It's precisely why teams regualarly rotate through 3-4 RBs a game.  Same with every other position.  QBs are the one position where you're expected to play every snap and every game.  I don't see that happening with Tebow until he becomes a throw first QB.  QBs are already prone to getting injured when passing as it is.  Tebow's style pretty much guarantees you that your backup will play each season.

Same thing goes for Cam Newton, Mike Vick, RGIII... They can throw a tight spiral, but they all take big hits from runs.

The difference being that all three of your examples have proven that they can win games with just their arm, and their legs are just a bonus.  If Tebow ever develops into a QB where the offensive coordinator has him drop back to pass 30-40 times, and only calls 4-5 designed runs a game, then I could see him having a possible chance in the NFL.

2013-05-03 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4725940

GomesBolt - 2013-05-03 6:08 AM

Go back and look at the article I posted, they are the only two receivers from the same team in the top-10 in dropped passes last season.  They can't catch the ball.

Peyton probably threatened to bench them if they dropped the ball but they still dropped the stupid ball more than all but a few receivers... 

You do realize that the 4 guys who lead the league in drops last year were Wes Welker, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Victor Cruz right?

Even if you go by drop percentage of catchable balls, some of those guys are at or worse than Decker/Thomas.  If you asked any team if they would want Calvin Johnson and Victor Cruz as their two recievers...would they say no because they're a couple of bums who should be threated to be benched because they catch the ball at the same rate as Thomas/Decker?

I don't understand your point.

2013-06-02 9:08 AM
in reply to: tri808

Tebow rumors suggest that the quarterback might not play in the NFL again.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Sports/2013/0602/Tebow-rumors-hint-at-...
2013-06-10 4:35 PM
in reply to: scoobysdad

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Tim Tebow is a Patriot.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9362801/tim-tebow-sign-new...

As I've long maintained, his story is far from over in the NFL.

2013-06-10 4:57 PM

Elite
I honestly hope the media leaves him alone and gives him a chance. If he can't make it in New England, he can't make it in the NFL... he never asked for all the attention, and no team wants to deal with it. Of all teams, the Pats can handle it... there are no superstars on that "team"... and Brady isn't going anywhere until he retires. Maybe he can develop into something.
2013-06-10 5:11 PM
in reply to: powerman

Originally posted by powerman

I honestly hope the media leaves him alone and gives him a chance. If he can't make it in New England, he can't make it in the NFL... he never asked for all the attention, and no team wants to deal with it. Of all teams, the Pats can handle it... there are no superstars on that "team"... and Brady isn't going anywhere until he retires. Maybe he can develop into something.

X2

But just -in case, the domain name www.BenchTomBrady.Com is available if anyone is so inclined...

I can hear the chants starting in Massachusetts already... "We wanna win, Put Timmy In!!!"

2013-06-10 6:39 PM

Elite
Originally posted by scoobysdad

Tim Tebow is a Patriot.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9362801/tim-tebow-sign-new...

As I've long maintained, his story is far from over in the NFL.

You're absolutely right...he will make a heckuva gadget/utility piece on Bellichik's chessboard.
He's a quality locker room presence, and he should come cheap since no other team showed interest.
(he'll also sell a ton of jerseys, smart business move)

There really couldn't be a better place for Tebow in my opinion.
There is zero pressure on him to play quarterback.
Even if Brady deals with another Bernard Pollard to the knee, Mallett's the man behind center.
Tebow's upside is a presence as Mr. Gadget. A little fullback, a little tight end, perhaps some goal-line decoy work...special teams here and there perhaps?

I wish the guy luck, but he's absolutely not an NFL-calibre starting quarterback.

2013-06-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

Veteran
New Hampshire
Being a Boston sports fan and living in the area my whole life, I hate this. Sox are somehow winning, the Bruins are in the friggin Stanley Cup but now Tebow is all anyone is talking about. I don't have an issue with the signing really. I'm sure BB will find something he can do well, but the timing of it kind of sucks IMO. Also, BB has had no qualms about straight up cutting a lot more expensive and experienced guys, so I'm having my doubts that Tebow will even make it to August.
2013-06-10 9:50 PM
in reply to: ratherbesnowboarding

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
Originally posted by ratherbesnowboarding

tebow

I think he'd rather go to New England to play a different position than go to the CFL to play QB. JMO.  BB likes him and McD drafted him.

Called it.
Although looks like he will be a qb on the roster. But BB does like players that can line up in different positions (Troy brown playing CB) so well see.
2013-06-11 12:17 AM
in reply to: ratherbesnowboarding

Elite
Not to mention the Pats come out ahead in the future... Brady is it, and I doubt Tebow will be taking over for the future. If the Pats can develop him and buy low sell high... it's a no brainer.
2013-06-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: jonD81

Originally posted by jonD81

Being a Boston sports fan and living in the area my whole life, I hate this. Sox are somehow winning, the Bruins are in the friggin Stanley Cup but now Tebow is all anyone is talking about. I don't have an issue with the signing really. I'm sure BB will find something he can do well, but the timing of it kind of sucks IMO. Also, BB has had no qualms about straight up cutting a lot more expensive and experienced guys, so I'm having my doubts that Tebow will even make it to August.

And now you're talking about it.

2013-06-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: GomesBolt

Regular
Clinton, TN
I don't think Tebow will ever make it as a NFL QB. That being said, he is one heck of a football player.
Don't consider myself a Tebow lover or hater, but here are a few things that make me like him
1. Attitude - one of the most positive people I have ever heard interviewed.
2. Commitment - Does not waiver from his faith.
3. Positive role model - never hear of him getting into any trouble. Would want my kids to grow up like him.
4. Success - just seems to get things done, despite the odds.
The only thing I don't understand is why he is so set on being an NFL QB when so many don't think he has all the tools. i understand his desire to play QB, but it seems he would want to do what is best for the team. If he is truly selfless. JMHO.
2013-06-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: Speedy the Turtle

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Originally posted by Speedy the Turtle

The only thing I don't understand is why he is so set on being an NFL QB when so many don't think he has all the tools. i understand his desire to play QB, but it seems he would want to do what is best for the team. If he is truly selfless. JMHO.

Well, he has amassed a track record of success playing the QB position at both the college and pro levels. He has no track record of success playing another position.

So, if you're Tebow, are you going to put more stock in yourself and what you've accomplished or what the naysayers say? What I don't understand is why some people believe he would be better off playing a position he has never played than one he has had success playing.

2013-06-12 6:01 PM

Elite
I guess you can label me a naysayer when it comes to Tebow as a quarterback, but the facts are the facts.
Even in his best (basically only) NFL season as a starting quarterback...even after having the system designed entirely for him (because, let's face it, had they not gone the simplified quarterback option offense that John Fox designed for Tebow, he'd have been even worse) he still ended up with atrocious passing numbers.

With a straight face, in 2011, could anyone honestly say Tim Tebow was a hell of a quarterback?
He completed just 46.5% of his passes.
Despite the fact he only started 11 games, he had the 2nd-most fumbles that season (13).
Out of quarterbacks averaging 14 or more attempts per game, Tim Tebow was ranked 28th out of 34 NFL quarterbacks in his best season, 2011.

If you look at the teams the Broncos beat during the Tebow-Mania 7-4 stretch, it's almost laughable.
Dolphins, Raiders, Chiefs, Jets, Chargers, Vikings, Bears.
The Broncos went 7-4 in that stretch.
7 wins with not a single playoff team defeated.
2 of the losses were against playoff teams.
In 5 of their 7 wins the Broncos Defense held their opponents to 15 or less points, averaging about 12 points per game given up.

I find it hard to believe that 32 NFL teams' general managers are wrong in believing Tim Tebow is not a starting qb in this league.
The conspiracy theory in which Tebow is black-balled makes no sense.
Teams want to win.
Winning equals money.

Tebow has the legs, but he doesn't have the arm. I think New England is perfect for Tebow. He'll be a gadget guy if he makes the final 2013 squad.
More power to him. Good locker room guy. Deceptively fast, and powerful. Goal-line guy, maybe special teams here and there, perhaps a little sweep left option pass.
All that said, Tebow could be a potential problem with all the hooplah that surrounds him. There are more talented runners on the Pats (Ridley, Vereen, and Legarrette Blount PLUS Leon Washington who is there to replace Woodhead), and two more talented passers (Brady and Mallett). The hooplah typically comes with questions after the first loss or two in which Tebow doesn't touch the ball.

2013-06-12 7:01 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

Ok...here's my totally whacked...out of left field guess.

Belichick got Tebow for no guaranteed money.  Since they don't have a 3rd string QB, they're going to need someone anyway to play during the first few games of preseason during garbage time.  I mean, Brady is going to play 2 series in the first game, then Mallet is going to come in...but they don't want to play Mallet that much and risk him getting hurt.  So Tebow is going to come in during the middle of the third quarter, and go up against the 2nd and 3rd string defense.  Belichick being the mastermind that he is, is going to set up some plays that would never work in the regular season against the starters...but make Tebow look awesome against the scrubs.

Then suddenly everyone will think that Belichick somehow transformed Tebow into a viable starting NFL QB...and they'll trade him for a 3rd round pick.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tebow! Rss Feed  

of 22