Second Wind Productions
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 54s
Overall Rank = 570/1447
Age Group = 24
Age Group Rank = 47/92
Pre-race routine:

Up 2 hours before start time, ate two pieces of Rye toast, 2 glasses of water and a banana. The amount of energy from this was great, no stomach sloshing, although I was still full from the Abbey Burger binge from Thursday night.
Event warmup:

Sat in my car, used the restroom. Did a few strides and then stood in anger, cold, as the race started 20 minutes late.
Run
  • 1h 49m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt great. Wore JL tights with shorts over, I probably could have gone with shorts but at some points I would have been really cold since the wind was pretty cutting at points. Long sleeve, loose black Nike shirt with a black UA tee over. Black UA gloves and UA hat. At points, in the sun and on hills, I'd have to strip the hat because it got so warm, then you turn a corner in the shadows and wind and it was cold again. So, it was some back and forth with what was going on.

At one point, I guess mile 8ish, you got dumped on the B&A which was a NIGHTMARE. I was running into people, running in mud, all trying to pass. And, this went on for around 2 miles, not cool.

The last 3 miles went fast as most of it was downhill, minus the bridge (stupid tall thing!). Around 800 left everyone really started to pick it up, saw a few people I thought I could hang with so I picked it up. Glad I did as unofficially, it took be sub 1:50.

The water stations continue to drive me insane, I skipped them all. I ran into people at every single one of them as they staggered all over the place trying to drink. It's a half people, in sub 50* weather, just skip it.

Good run. I've decided if I can get within 1:35 range for a half, I'll try a mary. Very happy with my time given low mileage, this time last year I could barely run as ITBS was still haunting me and it was nice to be back at a running event.

1:22:48 at the 10mi mark.

Got an awesome endorphin rush towards mile 12, I MISS THAT!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, burrito, banana, stretch. Just kinda wondered before I went to get coffee at Baltimore Coffee and Tea.

Event comments:

Good race, I'll do it again for sure. It was the first one, so there were bound to be some kinks!

Pros:
Beautiful course
Great swag (jacket, hat, medal)
Good vibe
The burrito was great. As was the beer!

Cons:
Started nearly 20 minutes late
No mile markers on course, so you had no idea how deep in you were. And, I'm pretty sure the course was about 800 short.
The B&A section was miserable, that should be changed.

Overall really fun race, just some minor things they could change to make it awesome.

Last updated: 2011-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/92
Overall: 0/1447
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty hilly, I was really shocked actually. I'd put this on par, or above, with SMs course. Some very long steady gradients and a few steep ones in which you had to bound to not cut your stride to pieces.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-19 10:04 AM

User image

Subject: Annapolis Half Marathon

2011-11-20 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3908170

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Annapolis Half Marathon
Totally with you on the B&A trail section.  Don't know how they thought that would be a good idea to put 4000 on that trail going both directions.
2011-11-20 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3908170

User image

Subject: RE: Annapolis Half Marathon
The original course map had it going though some of the back roads once you got across the bridge. I guess there was a last minute problem with that, as the course map changed the last week before the race. Either way, there were far to many runners in the race for that. I wonder if they thought it would have fanned out by then, but I was in a pretty large pack.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Half Marathon Rss Feed