General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Kilda, Victoria
Australia
SuperSprint Events
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 22s
Overall Rank = 787/1086
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am; have breakfast; drive 90mins; set up!
Event warmup:

No time today - numbers line was hugely long!
Swim
  • 09m 17s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

There's not a lot to say here except that at first I was disappointed about not swimming, but that was only until I caught a whiff of the ocean stink. Oh my, so glad I was not in that sesspool!
What would you do differently?:

Warm up properly - if I had the time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

I still need to work on my mount. T1 went pretty smooth, considering I was out of breath from the 2k run!

Remember to bodyglide my shoes! Oops!
Bike
  • 39m 6s
  • 20 kms
  • 30.69 km/hr
Comments:

Spent a lot of time on the aerobars (go me!) and was able to take advantage of any tail wind I could find. I overtook a lot of people which made me feel great :) I was even able to get in adequate fluids. Didn't feel I needed to have a gel but considering that it had been 4hrs+ since breakfast, I probably should have (felt it on the run). I went hard but didn't smash the legs too hard. This is my quickest time for 20k.

Have a gel or take some lollies.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Jumping off moving bike? Y'er dreaming! :P I think I dawdled a little in T2. The long run to my rack was unexpected. I forgot to lose the sunnies so had to go back.

Not much besides bodyglide my shoes!
Run
  • 25m 22s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

I found today's run hard. The wind was annoying but at least it kept me cool. I didn't overtake many people and was overtaken by a lot of fellas (no ladies, though). My legs felt like lead. Bit disappointing, really.

Keep strides a little shorter. Maybe splash water over my head to keep cool when out of the wind?
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking (sorry for walking off on you, Jess!). I just needed to walk and keep moving. Stretched while watching more people cross the line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not a lot. I used this race to blow out the cobwebs and remind myself of a few things. The transitions and bike mount/dismount all need a little tweaking.

Event comments:

Felt sorry for SuperSprint, a group of their marshalls bailed, leaving the registration and numbers writing queues too long. I stood in line for 20mins. I'll take my own sharpie next time! But really, I loved it and am back in the swing of things. I loved that I could tuck in on the bike using the aerobars and I was pretty happy overall. Oh, and I got a medal for coming 1st in the Athena category - for which I sort of feel guilty. Am I cheating by going in Athena (70kg+)? I'm 80kg and have NO hope of going sub 70kg (trust me - I'd be a stick). If I had competed in my age group, I would have come 15th - not bad either.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:17 | 500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 924/1086
Performance:
NOTE: due to heavy rain and minor flooding, the swim was changed to a 2k run. Ave pace: 4:49min/km Ave HR: 150 MHR: 159 Cals: 115
Suit:
Course: Right, so the alternate run was a 1km out and back course along the footpath. No major dramas.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:06 | 20 kms | 30.69 km/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 682/1086
Performance: Good
Garmin data: Ave speed: 30.9kph Ave HR: 155 MHR: 206 Cadence: 89 Cals: 499
Wind: Strong
Course: Wind - Southwesterly. Not an easy headwind one way, tail wind the other. Kind of all over the place. Course was a 2 x 10km lap. I really hate the tight turn around at the southern end. Road is too narrow for that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:22 | 05 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 746/1086
Performance: Average
Garmin data: Ave pace: 4:58min/km (Splits: 4:47; 4:54; 4:55; 5:02; 5:09) Ave HR: 199 MHR: 229 Cals: 362
Course: Out (south) and back (north) along the footpath by the beach. Pretty scenery - takes your mind off the thought of dying, lol. Easy path to run, flat and smooth.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-20 12:47 AM

User image

Australia
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda

2011-11-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3908680

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda

Congratulations Laura - great way to start your season!!!  No way are you cheating by entering Athena.  Huge huge result to take out first place!! 

Great job, hopefully see you at one of the other races, achilles permitting

Edited by nigelw 2011-11-20 6:15 PM
2011-11-20 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3908680

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda

Well done Laura.  I might see you at one of the races later in the season as well.

If you knew the history around the athena category in the Supersprint races, you would have no qualms in entering it.  If it's there, go for it

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 1 - St. Kilda Rss Feed