General Discussion Race Reports! » Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rickreall, Oregon
United States
Willamette Valley Road Runners
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 27m 29s
Overall Rank = 24/64
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Had breakfast at home, Snacked on a bag of Power Bites. Drank a Rockstar Recovery on the way to the race Sipped on a 5 hour shot.
Event warmup:

20 minutes before the race I performed a slow jog, warm-up drills and some light stretching. I felt good at the start and my legs felt fine later.
Run
  • 27m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

My .5 mile splits were: 0.5 @8:35; 1.0 @8:46; 1.5 @9:01; 2.0 @8:59; 2.5 @8:58; 3.1 @8:45; There was a pretty strong southerly Head Wind which kept my pacing slower than I had planned. I never really got the tailwind I had hoped on the return. I passed some runners in the first mile. Between miles 1 and two I was passed several times. I was only passed twice that I was aware of in the final .75 miles.
What would you do differently?:

At about the half mile mark a runner of a similar age came up on me. I was able to hold him off however he caught me again about 200 yards out. Since I was concentrating at keeping the run a steady effort I let him go. I ended up getting 3rd in my age group. Had I know that we were in the same age group and I was that near the front I would have made a better effort to hold him off.
Post race
Warm down:

None really, I was wet and cold so I just changed clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically it is a lack of running. I have been running for 30 to 40 minutes once a week hoping my Cycling speed workouts would hold me over. If I truly wanted to be a faster runner I would run some speed workouts.

Event comments:

Course wise this was one of the worst races I have done in a long time. Basically an out and back along Hwy 99 with a bunch of traffic heading to the Beaver game. The Post race was nice in the Winery which more than made up for it.

Last updated: 2011-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 24/64
Performance: Average
Course: Started at the south end of the Wine Facility. The course went south on bike path to Orrs Corner 1.1 miles west to Riddell Road then south on Riddell Road approximately 0.25 miles to turnaround. We then returned to the starting point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-11-24 3:43 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eola Hills Wine Cellars “No Hills” 10K Run and 5K Run Rss Feed