General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bought my clipless pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-29 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: bought my clipless pedals

So, I just bought clipless pedals and rode them back from the store.

They do feel great to ride in!  I had cages, but these are so much better.  Even with just the short ride I did in them, it was clear that I'll be loving them.

I made it home just fine, despite a good number of stops for lights.  Then, pulled into my yard, slowed to a stop, and couldn't get my darned feet out of the pedals so down I went. Only my husband saw me and the grass nicely broke my fall, so I can't complain.

2006-04-29 3:36 PM
in reply to: #410029

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: bought my clipless pedals
Been there done that. Probably the first 3-4 times when I first got then. Practice, practice and practice. Be safe.
2006-04-29 3:52 PM

User image

Norristown, PA
We really need to come up with a word or phrase to describe that first digger that everybody who decides to switch to clipless pedals takes. It is such a universal experience and it is such a roller coaster of an experience because you go from thinging one minute "hey these are great how did I ever live without them?" Then right when you think you have gotten comfortable with them you let yourself slow down a little too much at a light or stop sign or wait a little too long to shift on a hill & the next thing running thru your mind is "OH SH_t" as you tumble to the ground.
Good luck with them & you will soon wonder how you ever lived without them. I also think you will enjoy your riding a lot more & have more endurance because you will spread the effort out over more muscles in your legs.
It's been said a million times but with clipless pedals you can focus a little more on the backside of your pedal stroke if you think of scraping dog poo off your shoe & pulling up on your back foot.
2006-04-29 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Congrats on the new pedals! I'm getting mine in 2 months, when I get a tune-up on my bike
2006-04-29 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Congrats on the new pedals. I've had a pair for only a week, and immediately noticed improvement in my efficiency. Hopefully it will continue to improve. I haven't fallen - YET, but I decided to do a brick yesterday, and was going to practice my transition as well. Let's just say that I came very, very close to having a case of road rash. Luckily I realized what I was doing wrong in the nick of time, and I'm glad I had the tension set very lightly.

I need to find a quicker/safer way for a running dismount. The method I used when I wore toe-clips is NOT going to work.
2006-04-29 10:07 PM
in reply to: #410169

Elite
Laurium, MI
running dismount:

As you approach T2, reach down, undo one shoe at a time and pull your foot out. Place it on top of the shoe. Repeat with other. Pedal into T2 with feet on top of shoes. Then when you dismount in T2, it's just like dismounting on platforms.

Or you can master the CX dismount or just ride a fixed gear.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bought my clipless pedals Rss Feed