Uberthons
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 58s
Overall Rank = 89/301
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 6/31
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed a Rockstar Recovery and a Breakfast Sandwich, I drank a Pint of water with a 5Hour Shot in it. I took some Ibuprofen 60 minutes prior to the race.
Event warmup:

I performed 10 minute of warm-up jogging with some running drills.
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was in waves separated by about 20 second. I started about halfway back in the crowd. I moved thru my wave quickly and started passing some of the other runners. I did not get a .5 mile split but felt that it was faster than my second half mile.

In the second half of my first mile my heart rate went over 160. At this point I started to look for someone to pace off of and keep my heart rate slightly under 160. My first mile split was 8:19 which was about 20 seconds faster than I planned.

Between miles one and two I found two women to run with. My heart rate was where I wanted although my second mile split was 8:54 about 10 seconds slower than my planned pace. This is the section with the hill and may have accounted for the slower split.

My split for mile two to three was 8:48. This was the closest to my planned pacing and was about as fast as I could semi comfortably run.

The finish .1 was done at a 9:22 (56 seconds) which makes me wonder if the mile markers were accurate. The pace in my group picked up around mile marker three I could have passed the two female runners I was pacing off of at the finish but this seemed disrespectful Probably my most solid run from start to finish since this summer.

What would you do differently?:

I would probably even out my pacing in the first and 2nd mile. I think would rather run two 8:37's than my two splits of 8:19 & 8:54.
Post race
Warm down:

I performed 5 minutes of slow jogging and some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Currently my weekly workout time is about 2.25 hour’s total. This not counting weightlifting and stretching. My running times are about the same or slightly faster than they were at this time last year. I expect my times to drip as I slowly increase my weekly workouts.

Event comments:

The race was pretty well organized. The electronics were nice. It was chipped and the chips were in the bib and throw away. They had music at the start, with juice water and snacks at the finish. It was 40 degrees and starting to rain so I did not hang around too long.

Last updated: 2011-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:58 | 03.11 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/31
Overall: 89/301
Performance: Average
Course: The course was a Counter clockwise loop on the running paths in and around Cooks Park in Tigard. There was very little elevation change. One hill that I can remember. It was just prior to mile marker #2. It was short but steep. The running paths were narrow and had two way traffic at several points. You had to be smart to pass but it was not a hindrance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes