General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Setting up custom training plan help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-29 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ
Subject: Setting up custom training plan help

I am planing to start a custom training plan on January first for a HIM on June 16th. My question is I have already started to build my mileage for the run. I also have my first HM on April 22nd I don't know if that confuses things. The run was my weakness last year and I would like to have a good strong base to start with.

Mt logs are accurate... I somehow managed to get the 10% thing confused and was making my long run of the week 10% longer and just doing shorter runs for the rest. I am planning on fixing that for the future. I.E. 10% overall

My real dilemma comes in figuring out how to set up the custom training plan when I already have a run base. If i chose the first timer plan it starts me at like 6 miles a week which I already do comfortably. I would like to do the run weighted plan where I would run 4X per week and swim and bike 3X.

I have never done a HIM but handled my first Olympic in NY pretty well with no real "plan" I want to be more structured in my training this year but this is confusing me please help. Thanks

2011-11-30 12:05 AM
in reply to: #3919140

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Setting up custom training plan help

There are a few ways around this.  Correct in that the custom training plan creator will not deal with starting a HIM while in the middle of training for a HM...the run volumes will not be appropriate.

1 - Create your ideal HIM plan with the amount of runs per week that you want.  You will then have to go back in and manually 'up' a few of your runs every week to match where you are at in HM training.  I assume you are on a HM plan?  Just adjust your runs by editing your planned training to reflect it.

OR (better solution)

2 - Create your ideal HIM plan with 4x/week running and import it...then use the 'move' feature in 'planned' training to move several months of your runs BACK so that the starting volume is higher than what it is now...the runs will still follow the 10% rule as a guideline, but will more match your HM level you are running at now.  After the HM, copy the last 5 weeks of your runs leading up to your HM and put it in front of your HIM...where the plans will now snyc up.  There are a few other ways to do it.

I can help you with the latter option should you choose it, just import a HIM plan to match your HIM race date and pm me.

2011-11-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3919140

User image

Veteran
Riverdal NJ

OK that makes sense thanks. I don't have an actual HM plan because I was going to use it more as a training day. It is good to know that the plan is adjustable after it has been set. I guess I can enter my mileage that I am up to once I start the HIM plan and it will adjust accordingly?

Thank you

2011-11-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3920316

User image

Champion

When you start the HIM plan, it's not based on current mileage, but on the target mileage on race day and then it works back to the number of weeks you have available.  This is so people don't create a 8 week HIM plan without enough time to conservatively ramp up volume leading to injury.

Once you create/start the HIM plan...just take it 'as-is' and we can 'copy' a few months of the runs 'further up' in the plan and put them where your HIM plan starts...so your runs will look more like a maintenance type plan where there is not a lot of building.

Create the HIM, import it if you are sure of your plans, let me know and I can take a look.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Setting up custom training plan help Rss Feed