General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Planning Weekly Sessions using Tri Bible Book Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-30 8:12 AM

New user

Subject: Help with Planning Weekly Sessions using Tri Bible Book

I just started planning for my first tri next year based on Friel's The Triathlete's Bible book. The book is really good so far but I'm at the part where I plan the weekly sessions and find it lacking in instruction. 

First, it only gives one example of how to plan the intensity/duration of your weekly sessions and not much info on exactly what you're suppose to do. For example, for Base 2, you're suppose to work on Endurance, Force, Speed and Musc Endurance with mod rate for Musc End and increasing Endurance. Looking at the sample week provided, it doesn't explain how the example intensity/duration choices correspond to the focus areas or why they pick the exercises they did. For example, why is intensity increased instead of duration for some days? Why are both increased for others?

Second, it mentioned that there are breakthrough (BT) and recovery workouts but doesn't really talk about what exactly they are. Are BT workouts just the ones in a week that are at a high intensity/duration and recovery are the ones at lower intensity/duration? It also talks about having BT and recovery workouts in a block pattern but doesn't point out in the example weekly sessions what they look like.

Third, most of the days in the weekly session example have two sports per day with multiple exercises, even for the med duration ones. How exactly do I fit that many exercises if my daily training hour is short such as 1 hour, let alone exercises for two sports? Seems like a lot of other weekly training programs suggest 2 days per sport for a week, which is a lot less than the book example. 

Lastly, how do I fit weights in if I don't have that many hours in a week? Seems like even if I do all the exercises for all three sports, I'll be over my weekly volume after I add in 2 days of weights as recommended.

2011-11-30 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3920240

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Help with Planning Weekly Sessions using Tri Bible Book
Hi and welcome to BT.  I would seriously think about just using a one of the plans from BT (or somewhere elese) to get yourself started.  Creating a plan from scratch is a challenge if you don't have the background/experience in understanding what you are trying to acomplish.
2011-11-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3920315

User image

Pro

JohnnyKay - 2011-11-30 9:53 AM Hi and welcome to BT.  I would seriously think about just using a one of the plans from BT (or somewhere elese) to get yourself started.  Creating a plan from scratch is a challenge if you don't have the background/experience in understanding what you are trying to acomplish.

I agree. Using a pre-written plan - and altering it if you feel necessary - is much better for a first-timer than trying to write your own from scratch.

2011-11-30 10:30 AM

Veteran
+1 to the above, plus, if what you want is to train for triathlon, dump the weights and just s/b/r as much as you can, especially if you are limited on time. 
2011-11-30 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I would echo the advice of the others, however if you wish to plan your own training and would like to learn more about how to do so, I would suggest Dr. Phil Skiba's books as opposed to the TTB.

Dr. Skiba's books are available on his website and are a very worthwhile investment for anyone who would like to learn more about triathlon training.

http://www.physfarm.com

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2011-11-30 10:36 AM
2011-11-30 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Or, find a coach who can tailor a plan to your specific needs and schedule.

2011-11-30 2:20 PM

New user

I can't get a coach because I'm on a budget and have to get swimming lessons already.

I'll take a look at the BT plans. Any recommendations for other plans? Seems like most of the online free ones I've found so far are just "do these intervals" for a certain number of weeks and you should magically be ready to go. I liked how the book focused on different areas, different periods and stressed testing every few weeks.

2011-11-30 2:32 PM

User image

Regular
Virginia

I had some success this year (my first full tri season) using Friel's plans in his "Your Best Triathlon" book.  The plans are detailed and easy to follow.

Good luck!

2011-11-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3920862

User image

Pro
weizilla - 2011-11-30 3:20 PM

I can't get a coach because I'm on a budget and have to get swimming lessons already.

I'll take a look at the BT plans. Any recommendations for other plans? Seems like most of the online free ones I've found so far are just "do these intervals" for a certain number of weeks and you should magically be ready to go. I liked how the book focused on different areas, different periods and stressed testing every few weeks.

There are a few linked here: http://www.triathloncoach.ca/free_training_plans.htm and here http://home.trainingpeaks.com/affiliates/usat/usat_trainingplans.aspx 

As for ""do these intervals" for a certain number of weeks and you should magically be ready to go"...

You won't be MAGICALLY ready to go. You will be physically ready to go because you've been training. BT's sprint plans have worked for lots of people - and they even have a forums to discuss them: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=137

2011-11-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3920862

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
weizilla - 2011-11-30 3:20 PM

It's not that you are "magically ready to go".  It's that the basics of training are fairly simple.  Be consistent.  Gradually build 'stress' (volume and/or intensity) into your training so that your body adapts and you increase your fitness base.  Most plans will do that in some way even if they don't describe exactly why they are doing it.

2011-11-30 2:59 PM

New user

The Tri Bible made training seem like it has to be structured with different specific focuses (endurance, force, etc) and periods (base, build, peak, race..etc). I guess reading all that made me believe those basic interval only plans were all too simple to work effectively.

Edited by weizilla 2011-11-30 2:59 PM

2011-11-30 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

I used the free 20 week 2X balanced Olympic Plan 2 years ago to get started (I had very little training before this).  Last year I made some variations to target my weaknesses and based on what I learned worked and didnt work for me.  This year, I am taking it one step further.  As others have said, the plans on this site are a great way to get started and building your own requires knowledge and experience. 

For your first year (I am guessing that is the case), I would focus on consistency and getting use to training for all 3 sports.  Build volume gradually as you can fit it into your schedule.  If you only have 1 hour a day to train, start with doing each sport 2x a week (that is 6 workouts and gives you 1 day of rest).  You can also block 2 workouts together to increase the frequency (ex. 40 min bike, 20 min Run) - you can also spread them out during the day (ex. morning swim, evening run).  This will be necessary if you want to do more than 2 of any of the sports in a week.  Once you get a feel for what you can do and what your weaknesses are, you can modify as needed. 

Unless you have some other reason for doing weight training, I would drop that and focus on swim, bike, run.  Weight training will not make you faster or improve your ability to swim, bike or run, especially on a limited schedule. 

Most of the plans here, work in 4 week blocks.  Volume and/or intensity increases for the first 3 weeks and then the 4th week is a recovery week (usually around a 40% decrease in volume). 

This forum is a great place to learn and ask questions.

Welcome to the club though - its very addictive!

2011-11-30 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3920932

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

weizilla - 2011-11-30 3:59 PM The Tri Bible made training seem like it has to be structured with different specific focuses (endurance, force, etc) and periods (base, build, peak, race..etc). I guess reading all that made me believe those basic interval only plans were all too simple to work effectively.

There are ways to 'optimize' training.  IMO, the TTB does not do a very good job of explaining how to do this and some of their definitions are poor (or plain wrong).  You might want to check out the info from Phil Skiba someone linked to above if you do want to understand some more of the details.  But, even if you do, I think the 'canned' plans (whether here or elsewhere) are a good place for most people to start.  Build and modify from there. 

2011-12-01 4:21 AM
in reply to: #3920932

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
weizilla - 2011-11-30 4:59 PM

The Tri Bible made training seem like it has to be structured with different specific focuses (endurance, force, etc) and periods (base, build, peak, race..etc). I guess reading all that made me believe those basic interval only plans were all too simple to work effectively.

Endurance training is pretty simple; if you spend a few months swimming, biking and running consistently you should be able to finish a sprint triathlon. For someone new to endurance sport it really can be quite simple and effective to just get out the door and be active.

Now, there are some workouts that are more or less effective at different periods based on the athletes goals, background and race distance but I agree with others that starting with a stock plan and modifying it is likely going to be a better approach. Then you can look at the plan and try to understand why certain workouts are prescribed at certain times so when/if you want to build your own plan you have a better idea of how it all comes together.

Shane
2011-12-01 4:54 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
If you would like to check out some plans with a little more structure to them (it seems like maybe that's what you're looking for), you might want to check out Matt Fitzgerald's plans. They provide nice direction for each training session, and for each distance (Sprint through IM) there are 10 levels of plans, so you can probably find one that more or less fits your current fitness level.

I'm not sure when your first tri is, or how long you have to prepare for it. Most of the training plans you will find are in the 16 - 24 week range (4-6 months). If you have longer than that, then just start by trying to build some consistency in your exercise routine. Swim, bike, and run as much as you reasonably can without over doing it (especially true for running), and jump into a plan when the time is right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with Planning Weekly Sessions using Tri Bible Book Rss Feed