START TO FINISH/XO SIZE
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m
Overall Rank = 392/402
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/9
Pre-race routine:

So Sunday after a very fitful sleep where I nervously woke up every hour, I finally got up at 5.15am. Had some toast and a cuppa and the all important toilet process! Drove off to the race start, unloaded the bike, put the wheel back on and fingers crossed that I’d done it up tight enough. Walked over to registration it’s freezing out there! At least it was daylight but it was very cloudy and very windy with the sea looking grey and angry. Got my number 134 written on my thigh, calf , arm and swim cap. Put my stickers on the bike and helmet, security band on wrist and timing band on ankle. Spotted the tent where the shop that I got my wind trainer, were set up. They very kindly pumped up my tyres and made sure all was in order (love Omara bikes!) Took my bike into transition, racked that and laid out my gear. Helmet on bike and drink bottle (not that I can drink while riding I fall over!), trainers and socks next to bike covered by my towel in case it rains
Event warmup:

Nicki and I headed back to our bags and got into our wetsuits and caps – I still am not nervous at this stage. I jumped into the water to get a feel for it. Cold yes but the wetsuit helped.
had a good warm up swim to get an idea of how rough it was, VERY! I would go up on a wave crash down on the other side into another one – no way I could see the buoys or even the horizon without fully stopping and treading water. Anyway – having done the warm up I was less nervous. We watched them set up the buoys for us – oh my GOD 200m out, 100m across and 200m back. You have no idea how far 200m looks in the sea! The starter told us of the current taking us off to the right, she said aim sharp left and you’ll end up on track. We watched the first wave go and sure enough they went way off track to the right. The next group got it just right.
Swim
  • 13m 2s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

All too soon we were on the start line – the siren blows and rather than the usual carnage of a run down into the sea, it was a tentative walk by all! In we go – I am in the middle but it’s not a massive pack – no kicking or punching which was good. Very early on I realised I wouldn’t be able to get into a good rhythmic stroke – I was swallowing so much water as every breath I took seemed to be into a wave whichever side I breathed on. Thank goodness Coach Johnny Van Wisse has taught us polo stroke for these occasions – basically you swim with your head up and don’t move it side to side at all. Swim like a woman who doesn’t want to get her hair or make up wet! I did that out to the first buoy, then the waves got really big and for a while I was not going forwards nor backwards. I stopped, took a breath got a sight on the next buoy. At this time I’m still pretty much with Nicki and I think to myself, come on Jo you can do this remember all the training drills. So I dug deep, breathed to the left and I was off and running – got a great rhythm going and made it to the second buoy. Time to turn and swim across to my left against the current to the white buoy. Pretty good, remembered to sight every tenth stroke. Then it’s a left turn and swim for the finish – again the current is pushing me left and I probably did 20-30m extra when I lost my line for a while, I realised I was swimming on my own looked up and everyone is away to my right – oopsie! I overtook a few on that swim for home and body surfed to the finish line – lotsa fun! Smile for the photographer on the beach. Offer thanks I’m alive! Cap off, goggles off, wetsuit pulled down and run for the transition.
What would you do differently?:

use my confidence and just do it, now I know I won't drown I can do it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I love a chat in transition, need to just get on with it!

go faster
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 16 kms
  • 25.54 km/hr
Comments:

Slowly get myself ready and I’m suddenly off on my bike. I was going a steady 30-32kph which for me is very fast! Nicki pinches me on the bum as she rides past, man she’s good on that bike. I must practice more! The bike leg is two laps. So we head out and then turn back – oh my goodness it’s a headwind – my speed dropped to around 17-20kph, couldn’t get it faster in the wind. Every time we were exposed to the beach a crosswind nearly had me off! Hit the turnaround to come back for lap 2 – there’s Jane cheering me on and there’s Nicki’s Alan saying ‘Come on Jo’. I was so pleased! Again out at a good 30kph and back much slower. It’s a 16km ride so not far at all and I did the best I could.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I tend to relax a bit in transition!

probably nothing.
Run
  • 34m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 48s  min/km
Comments:

legs feel like jelly. Note to self, must practice some brick sessions (ride then run). Rack the bike – I can see I’m one of the last but I’m not bothered. Head out on the run. The salt water is beginning to churn in my stomach but I trudge on. Decide to take my walk breaks. Run and count to 90, walk and count to 60. It’s a 5km run but I’m pretty sure it’s longer. I can see the pier in the distance and I know I’m nearly there. There’s Nicki and Jane at the finish line – the commentator says here comes Joanne – and it’s done! Smiling from ear to ear. My first Sprint Triathlon under my belt.

Brick sessions - also spent so much energy worrying about the swim I was pooped by the time I ran!
Post race
Warm down:

got changed went out for breakfast

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of specific training esp bike and bike to run brick sessions. Also not had much open water swimming as just coming out of winter. That starts this week.

Last updated: 2011-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:02 | 500 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 330/402
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit - orca
Course: out, turn left, turn left- back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:35 | 16 kms | 25.54 km/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 381/402
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Beach Road, where I ride when I can. A bit hilly and so exposed in some areas to the crosswind off the beach.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:01 | 05 kms | 06m 48s  min/km
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 393/402
Course: My usual running route along Beach Road - but I was tired by now and had jelly legs!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-12-04 11:27 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: XO SIZE Tri Series 11/12 Race 2

2011-12-05 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3926050

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: XO SIZE Tri Series 11/12 Race 2

Awesome result Jo!!!!  Way to rock your first tri.  Especially in those tough conditions.  I was down that way on the bike and the wind was crazy!!

Great report also - can't wait to read more!

Nigel

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XO SIZE Tri Series 11/12 Race 2 Rss Feed