General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip surgery recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-07 8:02 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: hip surgery recovery

I've been diagnosed with a full-thickness detached anterior labral tear in my hip (no femoral acetabular impingement anatomy). I recently saw a surgeon to discuss arthroscopic repair. I feel comfortable with having the surgery or his competence to do it but question his statement that I "may" need PT. Isn't PT indicated after surgery? If so, shouldn't I get that set up to start sooner than 12 days post-op? Also, he didn't give me any idea of what to expect in terms of activity restrictions immediately after surgery other than no driving while on pain meds.

The way it stands, I won't be seeing between now and when the surgery's scheduled (1/6/12), and then not again until 12 days after surgery. My partner had the same surgery (on same hip, no less!) 3 years ago. He got put on a CPM for a couple days post-op, wasn't allowed to drive a standard transmission car (that's all we have), and started PT right away.

While I don't question the guy's ability to do the surgery well, I'm planning to talk with another surgeon in the area who specializes in arthroscopic hip/knee/ankle surgeries for athletes. Even so, just wondered what you all think about the lack of discussion about after-care and what's reasonable to expect.

2011-12-08 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3930394

Subject: RE: hip surgery recovery

I had an anterior labral tear and had arthroscopic surgery about 7 weeks ago.  He didn't repair it but shaved it instead.  He also did a psoas release and chondroplasty and shaved the head of the femur.

I stayed on crutches for 10 days (worked my way from 2 to 1 to none).  If I knew I was going to be walking for any length of time I would take a crutch due to fatigue.  In terms of restrictions, I began driving as soon as I stopped the meds.  The discomfort and difficulty moving my hip is what determined my limits.  There are still some movements that cause pain, however, I am still early in my recovery.

I began PT 3 weeks after surgery but started working out as soon as he gave me the ok (10 days after surgery and nothing serious-just to get moving again).  At my 6 week follow up appt he gave me the ok to stop PT and begin training.  He said I can only add one sport a month.  He doesn't like deep hip flexion due to the impingement issue so I ride minimally in aero position.  I will not start running for another month or two.

I have heard different things about PT after surgery.  My OS felt it was ok for me to do what I can and not push it. 

I really trust my OS-I went in for the labrum and he noticed and fixed a few other things.

So far, so good!

Best of luck to you!

2011-12-13 1:55 PM

I am scheduled to have labral tear/FAI correction on 12/30, and my Doc (Bryan Kelly) has me going to PT the day after the procedure, then 1-3 a week for 4 months.

I see you are in Denver, did you look into Dr Philippon? he's pretty much the Lord of the Manor when it comes to hips!
2011-12-14 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3937080

User image

Denver, CO

I actually have an appt with Leslie Vidal on Jan. 26. She did her fellowship at Univ. of Pittsburgh when Dr. Phillipon was on faculty. I'm on the waiting list so hoping to get in to see her for a 2nd opinion about after-care before my surgery date (Jan 6). She consults for the Colorado Avalanche and for CWW, a local women's tri team. My husband Alex rates docs and hospitals based on their complication rates and Dr. Vidal has excellent outcomes and patient ratings. If I'm not able to see her before 1/6, I might postpone the surgery until after I can talk with her but I haven't decided yet.

My husband had the exact same surgery done by her husband (this is 1 thing we didn't need to share, honey!!). Unfortunately, Dr. Vidal's husband is now focusing on pediatric work so he isn't available for my surgery. Alex also started PT a day or 2 after surgery.

2012-01-01 6:19 PM

User image

New user

Upstate New York
I had FAI surgery with a labral repair on December 1st. My doctor, who is an excellent surgeon, told me his patients do fine without PT post-op. He and I had a very contentious go-round at my 2 week follow up because he is not allowing me to do anything other than partial weight-bearing and 30 min of stomach-lying/day. I was walking a little w/o crutches 10 days post-op, so I knew I was capable of doing more. Long story short, I am rehabbing basically on my own with a little help from knowledgeable friends. At 1 mo post-op, I am able to go completely without crutches, am doing daily strengthening exercises, can ride 40 min on a spin bike w/low resistance, and am swimming (mostly with a pull buoy, but have started to do some easy flutter kick). I don't even see my doctor again for 2 more weeks. My advice is to definitely get a second opinion. You do want to be careful not to engage in any deep hip flexion, or movements with much weight or resistance for the first month or so, but you definitely want to be doing some kind of PT post-op.
2012-01-02 6:37 PM

User image

NOVA

I had a left labral tear almost 3 years ago. I ended up with 3 recommendations and decided against the femur shaving as it wasn't necessary for me.  This makes a huge difference in recovery as does age and activity level prior to injury.  I started PT 4 days after surgery, twice a week and saw my surgeon 10 days later.  The biggest challenge for me (and still is), is strengthening the hip again.  No matter what I do, it seems that side is always weakerbut the minute I stop strengthening and/or the PT exercises, I start feeling it again.

Recovery is different for every person, I had my surgery in mid March and was running 12-15 miles by June (though I wouldn't recommend it).  Take it really slow, I didn't listen and I had set backs.  I did everything based on pain level and pushed it a bit too much.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip surgery recovery Rss Feed