Huntsville Track Club
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 12m 7s
Overall Rank = 61/1130
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/146
Pre-race routine:

Had a good marathon build-up. Good running base already from IM Louisville.
Mileage peaked at 51+mpw. 8 runs of 18+ miles. 2 longest runs were 24, 25.5. Training went well. Right knee got sore after one week but able to rehab without issue.

Loaded 4gm/day for 4 days prior to race with Sodium phosphate. First trial on this. No side effects. Helped race day?

Awoke at 0530. Ate oatmeal/almond butter toast/Dt Mt Dew and coffee. 2 Hammer anti-fatigue tabs.

Event warmup:

ran about 10mins easy. cold and blustery winds from North. was thinking it'll be fun it that. Felt fresh and well rested. nestled into start between 3:10 and 3:15 pacer groups. Hoped to run between these folks all the way.
Stirring singing of the National Anthem and we were off!
Run
  • 3h 12m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, excellent race. Felt strong entire run.
More Importantly, Made my Boston Qualifying time with a cushion!
Very proud of this accomplishment.
Big thanks to my family for putting up with training runs.
Big thanks to Stuart Lamp at PeakForm Coaching for my training plans.
What would you do differently?:

Have my family there. Too many other kid activities on same day. Thanks dear for being the taxicab again.
Post race
Warm down:

walked about 2 miles eating snack pack given--grapes, banana.
Ran into my running buddy--He ran 3:14 and BQ also. I thanked him for listening to my ramblings while we ran.

Last updated: 2011-12-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:12:07 | 26.2 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/146
Overall: 61/1130
Performance: Good
Wore Garmin 405 w/HRM. Thought about taking off the autolap setting but then I worried about forgeting to manually do the laps. As I ran I noticed the mile splits quite different and hoped I wasn't pacing wrong. Laps/HR: Went thru 13.1 in about 1:35:43. Average pace @7:18/mile. Felt relaxed and strong. I was ahead of my planned 1:37 pace. Took a roctane gel at miles 5 and 9. A small right hamstring twinge began but a salt tab helped. I was taking one anti-fatigue tab/hour. By quite surprising good luck, I began talking to a fellow runner. He was same age and also trying to BQ at sub 3:15. We ran together for several miles. He broke away with another group as I walked aid-st mile 9 to get gel and hydration down. Miles 10-14+ are straight down Bailey Cove rd. Had a nice tailwind, so I just stretched out and ran..mostly alone until I ran up on a another guy who didn't mind talking. Ran with him until we turned back North @mile 15. Did I mention the nice tailwind. Man, when we turned back it was like running uphill with a parachute. I felt like I was walking but I noticed I was passing alot of people. Had my slowest mile splits-7:30s into wind or running up hills at miles 16-18, 21. But I kept running. If fact, I was sore but not tired if that makes sense. I realized running over 20 miles a few times made a big difference, physically and mentally. I kept doing Roctane gels every 30-40 mins. no Gi issues. Took salt tab/anti-fatigue tabs at the other aid stations. Saw first people walking at mile 15. I encouraged them but don't know if that helps when you're hurting. I caught back up to my age group/BQ guy about mile 19. Just in time..Mentally it was a big boost. He said, "where'd you come from". I answered, "I've been reeling you in since mile 16." We laughed. We ran steadily together until about mile 21. I felt he was slowing down and I still had plenty in tank. I eased ahead and just kept going. I was staying about a minute and a half ahead of my 3:15 goal through mile 20. I was at 2:26:30 at mile 20. Started talking to myself by mile 22..just thinking..I can do this..finish strong and you can take the family to Boston. We were still running a net gain uphill but not too noticeable. Head wind was brutal but was mostly sheltered in the neighborhoods in the last 4 miles. By the time, I got to mile 23, I knew I could increase the pace a little. Ran a little over 21 mins for the last 3 miles. Passed a few more people, but to be honest it was pretty empty over the time. Got to marker 25.2 and had 10mins to break 3:15, but I was elated. Endorphins were kicking in..I was just flying down the hill and around the last corner to the finish. I looked up and saw 3:12 and just let out a primal scream and fist pump. 2nd 13.1 about a min slower than first( @1:36:35). Overall, I saw well paced given head winds and hills on bak half. Faster last 3 miles helped too. Definitely, 2nd place on race finish feelings after IM Louisville of course!
Course: The course does a small circle downtown HSV then heads out South for 14 miles with a gradual net elevation loss. Then it turns North and meanders up and back to finish. Aid stations about every 2 miles. Scattered spectator support but always seemed to be in low points when you needed them. Excellent aid station volunteers and finsh line catchers (felt like IM Louis again)
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes