General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-12-19 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3942168

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast?

1) I think fast food is gross.  There are no healthy choices.  They have apples or chopped fruit, but it is not fresh and tastes bad or has an unpleasant texture.

2) We eat it only on car trips (traveling, not commuting).

3)  For breakfast, I prefer cereal (mix of healthy cereals like Kashi with plain oats and chia seeds with almond milk) but also like omlettes with leftovers from the fridge if my DH makes them.

2011-12-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3942132

User image

Regular

I know fast food is bad but still we occasionally get it (maybe once a month).

Breakfast is usually 2 eggs over easy with hot sauce and 1 slice wheat bread or oatmeal (not packets) with honey, cinnamon, and raisins.  Workout mornings usually protein drink, plain bagel, and a banana.  All breakfast must have coffee.

2011-12-19 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I like fast food. It is convenient, after all.  Calories are calories.   It's like anything else that can be abused.    If one indulges in fast food, just burn more calories with a bit more swim/bike/run.

With the above said, I only eat it one or twice a week.   I don't abuse it at all.

Breakfast; I'm going against the grain.  Most days I don't eat it.  Much prefer to wait for brunch.   I eat what is available in the fridge or the cabinets.    It may come from the fact that I don't like routines.  Routine = rut for me.

Brunch today will be a turkey sandwich made from leftovers, a slice of coconut cream pie, and a glass of chocolate milk.  Who knows what I will eat for breakfast/brunch tomorrow.   I don't

2011-12-19 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I typically dont eat fast food at all. I think the last time I ate at a McDonald's was 2 years ago on a road trip to Atlanta. I will say that I eat at chipotle or Qdoba probably 2x a month but get the salads or naked burritos which are not that horrible for you. My breakfast usually consists of a bowl of cereal (wheaties, cherrios, or Special K red berries) a whole wheat english muffin with local honey and a glass of milk & juice. Sometimes I will switch it up and make eggs with my english muffin.
2011-12-19 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

1. Everything in moderation. You can eat healthier there if you want, but even if you don't want to...if it's not ALL you're eating, it's fine.

2. I don't often have the occasion to, unless I'm travelling. I do like Subway sometimes for lunch, though.

3. During the week, usually I just have coffee.

2011-12-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3943538

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
pga_mike - 2011-12-19 7:12 AM

Taco Bell - 7 Layer Bean Burrito & Fresco Soft Taco

Wendys - Single with Cheese & Baked Potato

Five Guys - No Fries

Chick Fil-A - Breakfast Bagel Egg & Chicken & their awesome, awesome milkshakes.

WARNING!!! DO NOT TRY A CHICK FIL-A MILKSHAKE!!!

I dream of the Oreo milkshake form Chik-fil-a. We don't have them here, so I make a pretense of visting my friends in Atlanta so I can order them. :p

2011-12-19 9:27 AM

User image

1) I don't think fast food has any redeeming qualities. That being said I really like McD's fries, Chick-fil-A nuggets, Burger King burgers and Wendy's burgers/nuggets.

2) I try my best to avoid it, for me fast food provides such a slippery slope. I've gotten to the point now where the only time I'll eat fast food is on the turnpike on the way home from a race (I live in OH but most of the races I do are in the Philly area).

3) Most mornings I try and eat breakfast at home which consists of some combination of: banana, greek yogurt, apple sauce, bagel with peanut butter and OJ. For the mornings I'm running late it's typically a banana as I'm rushing out the door followed by a Clif Bar and water in the car.

2011-12-19 9:40 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

If you consider pizza fast food I probably have fast food 2-3x per month.  McDonalds, BK maybe 2-3x a year...usual when on travel and in a big hurry or because the kids wanted it.  When I was younger I had fast food much more often.

Breakfast...on weekdays a bagle with cream cheese or peanut butter.  On the weekends I make breakfast for the family.  Usually pancakes or waffles, bacon, potatos.

2011-12-19 9:40 AM

User image

Pro

1. It's not good for you, but it's not going to have a hugely negative impact on your health when consumed in moderation.

2. I eat it when I want it. Maybe 2x a month? My body seems to know what it wants/needs. If I find myself craving a fast food burger, taco or sandwich, I get it. I skip the fries unless I'm really hungry. I get it with Diet Coke because I prefer the taste. I don't feel guilty or bad about it.

3. My breakfast is usually a smoothie (banana, frozen fruit, water, ground flax). Breakfast #2 is oatmeal. I get hungry, so I eat... in the appropriate quantites.

2011-12-19 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

1. Fast food in general is to avoided, however, being in a big city, working in the downtown core I actually have a lot of good options.  The food court in the mall attached to my building actually has vegetarian/vegan fast food, indian, thai, fresh sandwiches and soups.  A trend to these things is very positive in my opinion.  And when I do get my lunch i will pick these things.  These things are technically fast food to me since they are quick serve, take away type places The traditional fast food will do in a pinch.  I like how some things taste but often i build it up in my mind as being better than it is and in general i don't feel all that great afterward. 

2. Probably 'fast food' once a week for lunch and twice a month we get delivery of some sort for supper. I actually tend to eat my junk food when we go out to some sit down restaurants - fries and wings at a pub, etc.

3. Breakfast is generally one of three things:

a.  a slice of high fibre bread (with some nuts, seeds and fruit) toasted with almond butter

b.  Oatmeal with brown sugar, walnuts and skim milk

c. High fibre cereal with skim milk.  (i still like sugar so i tend to pick frosted mini wheats, and after having consulted the nutrition label)

2011-12-19 9:43 AM

New user
Connecticut Shore

I never eat fast food for breakfast.  If I am traveling and I can find a place that serves biscuits and gravy then I am all in!!! (Joking- that was a former life).

If I am traveling and have to eat as restaurants, I try to keep it toned down, stick with scrambled eggs fruit and oatmeal.

If I am out for an afternoon, power shopping for a project or event, I will hit Hamburger Hill.  Basically its dollar menu items like once a week.  Plain cheeseburger, sometimes a double if I have been out for a while and a made dinner is not in the future.  For me it not about the "yum" factor, its just easy and cheap.  I get something in the belly, the food shakes go away and I keep going with my day.  in the past, I never got the fries.  No and then I get the small fries.  I think fries are a waste of calories.

2011-12-19 9:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

1) I like most food selections from Wendy's or McDonalds and Arby's (not a big Burger King fan, their burgers literally make me sick).  However, I know that they are generally not the best food choices for many of the reasons already stated by other posters, so I 2) very rarely eat it, usually only on road trips, probably once every other month on an average.

3) breakfast is usually English muffin or waffle or bagel thin with peanut butter or cream cheese depending which item I am eating and which topping I have available.  Instant oatmeal is also a frequent choice, made with hot water, not milk.  I'll either drink diet iced tea or skim milk as my beverage.

2011-12-19 9:51 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago

I never ever ever eat fast food. I haven't had it for more than 5 years. I'm also a vegetarian, but I don't like any of the "healthy" stuff that's offered, so I don't eat the salads or anything else. My main reasons for not eating fast food are that I don't like how the food is sourced and I also don't like how fast food makes my body feel. And it's just gross. Have you ever seen those pictorials of the Big Mac (or Whooper) where someone photographs the hamburger everyday for some time period? It looks exactly the same! Loaded with preservatives.

For breakfast, 6 days a week I eat old-fashioned oats (the slow cooked kind) with a scoop of natural PB and a fruit, usually a banana, sometimes blueberries. On the 7th day, I eat an egg on toast.

2011-12-19 9:52 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 12:46 PM

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)

And what do you typically have for breakfast?

I don't think eating fast food is particularly healthy for a variety of reason. Once in a while is ok, but I think most people would not benefit from eating there daily. 

If I eat fast food - its the grilled chicken on the southwest salad at Micky D's (their lettuce is actually pretty good compared to most which only use ice berg).  And the only reason I eat there is so my kid can run and play in the gym area so maybe 2x a year at this point. Otherwise, if we are on a road trip--maybe 4 x a year. 

I usually eat yogurt with some bran buds and psyllium on top or Special K with strawberries. Sundays we do the big breakfast thing - eggs/pancakes etc..  

2011-12-19 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

I had a McDonald's Double Cheeseburger the other day. It was yummy.

Breakfast is usually cereal; Go Lean or some sort of fruit/fiber/nut concoction with 2% milk

2011-12-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3943787

User image

Pro
cgillin - 2011-12-19 9:27 AM

1) I don't think fast food has any redeeming qualities. That being said I really like McD's fries, Chick-fil-A nuggets, Burger King burgers and Wendy's burgers/nuggets.

2) I try my best to avoid it, for me fast food provides such a slippery slope. I've gotten to the point now where the only time I'll eat fast food is on the turnpike on the way home from a race (I live in OH but most of the races I do are in the Philly area).

3) Most mornings I try and eat breakfast at home which consists of some combination of: banana, greek yogurt, apple sauce, bagel with peanut butter and OJ. For the mornings I'm running late it's typically a banana as I'm rushing out the door followed by a Clif Bar and water in the car.

I aree with everything you stated

2011-12-19 10:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3943720

Extreme Veteran
MadMathemagician - 2011-12-19 8:58 AM

I like fast food. It is convenient, after all.  Calories are calories.   It's like anything else that can be abused.    If one indulges in fast food, just burn more calories with a bit more swim/bike/run.

With the above said, I only eat it one or twice a week.   I don't abuse it at all.

Breakfast; I'm going against the grain.  Most days I don't eat it.  Much prefer to wait for brunch.   I eat what is available in the fridge or the cabinets.    It may come from the fact that I don't like routines.  Routine = rut for me.

Brunch today will be a turkey sandwich made from leftovers, a slice of coconut cream pie, and a glass of chocolate milk.  Who knows what I will eat for breakfast/brunch tomorrow.   I don't

INCORRECT

Calories are a unit of measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree.  This is something that has NO meaning in the human body.  For instance, fat, in order to be broken down into usable energy must be processed in the liver thanks to certain enzymes. Artificial transfats (found in 99% of fast food) block this enzyme from functioning - thus this fat is permanent - it may not appear on your gut but definitely sticks around in your arteries.

2011-12-19 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3943522

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
meatcookie - 2011-12-19 6:04 AM
Donskiman - 2011-12-18 6:12 PM
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 11:46 AM

Hope I can post this here for greater views that the nutritional section...I'm doing some research, it'd be awesome if you can take 30 seconds to answer three quick questions.. Thanks!

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

Research for what purpose? Where are your own answers? Pardon me if I question the motives here, but I don't like to provide personal information.

What Fred said.  I have no idea what sinister deed I could possibly accomplish with the data collected here...but if it matters, I'm collecting data for an article. I have some info, but could use a much larger data pool.  I'll happily share my answers when the responses here trickle off, as I don't believe in seeding the minds of the participants. Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Not saying this has happened on BT, but I've seen this kind of thing be used to mine names for spamming. People comment a certain way and within a few weeks they're getting spams for some "miracle" pill to counteract the effects of eating fast food.

So in this article are you comparing the generally unfavorable comments from athletes with opinions from the obese who eat this stuff almost daily? Are you controlling for the differences between higher level athletes vs. more casual athletes? There could be a difference between the sub 9 IM athlete vs the sprint tri-er who takes 2:30+, or the sub 3 marathoner vs the 5Ker who can't break 35.

I don't eat fast food very often. 3-4 times a year. Even when I do it's usually one of the healthier items.

My breakfast is usually a bagel with honey on it.

2011-12-19 11:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

1. It is bad for you, especially when eaten regularly, and you live a sedentary lifestyle.

But I heard a nutritionist once say that there is no "junk food", only "junk diets".  If you are healthy (i.e. no restricted diets due to diabetes or heart disease) eating one value meal from McWendy King Bell won't cause you to have a stroke or go diabetic.  But it's how often it's eaten.

2. I'll admit, pretty much every weekend, for lunch, at least once, sometimes both days.  But this is usually after some long workouts.  The cravings get to be pretty bad.  Sorry, but a quarter pounder and fries does what a banana and a salad just can't do.

3. Breakfast is typically a small pastry, along with some protein powder, and a high fiber cereal, such as Fiber One.

Through all of this, I maintain caloric balance with a smartphone app, am maintaining weight and good BMI, and blood numbers are all excellent.

I could probably get down to 8% or so body fat though if I actually ate better.

2011-12-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3944026

Master
synthetic - 2011-12-19 11:52 AM
MadMathemagician - 2011-12-19 8:58 AM

INCORRECT

Calories are a unit of measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree. Correct       This is something that has NO meaning in the human body. Maybe      For instance, fat, in order to be broken down into usable energy must be processed in the liver thanks to certain enzymes. Not very accurate       Artificial transfats (found in 99% of fast food) block this enzyme from functioning - thus this fat is permanent - it may not appear on your gut but definitely sticks around in your arteries. So far out in left field you need to revisit your physiology text.

2011-12-19 12:18 PM

Master
Los Angeles, CA

1.  I don't favor them due to what the ingredients are.  However, yes, the McD's fryz are yummy! hehehe

2.  I'll treat myself to a big juicy burger with a fried egg and bacon AND garlic fryz once a month. =)

3.  Breakfast = Old fashioned oatmeal with raisins, walnuts, and a dash of cinnamon.

2011-12-19 12:42 PM

Master
PNW
meatcookie - 2011-12-17 10:46 AM

1) I feel that fast food is nothing but marketing crap.  It truly doesn't qualify as 'food' in my book.  There are very few redeeming qualities about it and the only reason there might be a more healthy option on a menu is because there is a market for one.

2) We used to have it every once in awhile (maybe twice a month...sometimes more if there was a lot of travel on the docket) and typically opted for Wendy's.  Now?  Never, unless you count salads from Chipotle.  I just commented to my husband yesterday that we needed to start going to drive-thrus again because our napkin stash in the glove box was running out! (joking, of course...but that is where that 'stash' came from!).

3) breakfast is typically veggies, eggs and fruit (plus sometimes bacon or other uncured meat) or if time is limited: a smoothie made with fruit, greens and egg protein powder.

2011-12-19 12:59 PM

Regular

I usually don't eat fast food but on some rare occasions; I don't feel well when I do.

I usually eat whatever is its closest natural state as breakfast.

There was a yahoo article on this but my father actually had the same thing happened to him. He left a cheeseburger from a McD in his coat pocket for several months. He found it still ok...I dont' think i want to eat anything that can survive several months like that.... 

2011-12-19 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3944300

New user
Connecticut Shore
daharryone - 2011-12-19 12:59 PM

I usually don't eat fast food but on some rare occasions; I don't feel well when I do.

I usually eat whatever is its closest natural state as breakfast.

There was a yahoo article on this but my father actually had the same thing happened to him. He left a cheeseburger from a McD in his coat pocket for several months. He found it still ok...I dont' think i want to eat anything that can survive several months like that.... 

Only a dude would put a cheeseburger in his pocket.  Ladies have you ever done this?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  

of 5