General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-12-19 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3942132

Subject: RE: Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast?

1.  No redeeming value other than convenience.

2.  Due to that convenience, I end up eating fast food every so often, usually Fresco Tacos at Taco Bell, which is a lesser evil, I guess (FWIW - I haven't eaten a fast food burger in years).

3.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to breakfast.  Same thing every day -- 1.5 cups of eggs whites, 2 strips turkey bacon, wheat toast (dry, of course).  Somehow, I never get tired of it.

2011-12-19 1:14 PM

User image

NH

I'll be super controversial - I don't think fast food is the best choice but I'm not going to go postal on it.  And yes there's a lot of crap on supermarket shelves too, but fast food is not a good choice in terms of nutritional value per calorie, if you're eating for health.  I doubt it will kill us all in super moderation, and the younger you and more active you are I'm convinced the more capable you are of eating anything and being ok with it.

I don't eat fast food much, but I use all my bad food chits on ice cream so who am I to talk?

Breakfast alternates between oatmeal with blueberries, almonds, cinnamon, and sometimes other stuff, eggs scrambled with vegetables, and various fruit/vegetable smoothies (yes, vegetable!)

2011-12-19 5:41 PM

User image

1) very unhealthy for you but once in awhile won't kill you, just stay active!

2) very rarely and never training. only during my offseason and at that probably once every couple weeks but i eat the healthier options.

3) cereal in vanilla soy milk and OJ, once a week a bagel and chocolate soy milk.

ill just add peanutbutter is my staple food but i only eat the natural peanut butters!

2011-12-19 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

1. Don't eat it, except for the occasional pack of french fries after a long brick. Even then I generally get them at a local cafe, not a fast-food chain. Justify it as I crave salt due to all the sweating involved in training in the tropics. Fast food is just empty calories, and no taste--all bland and/or sweet. Yuck. Wouldn't eat it if it was good for me.

2. French fries maybe once or twice a month. Other stuff--almost never. Maybe once every 2-3 years, if that.

3. A challenge in Saigon. Lately, usually organic oatmeal (it's cheap, since no one else seems to buy it) or muesli, whole wheat bread with peanut butter, juice, coffee. Whole grain  cereal and bread is extremely difficult to find--hope my supply lines continue! Sometimes on the weekend after long workouts I get "Turkish brunch" at a local cafe--veggies and humus, spinach omelette, roasted potatoes and tomatoes, bread, bagel, coffee, fresh fruit and juice. Yep--I like to eat!

2011-12-19 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3944095

User image

Extreme Veteran
pschriver - 2011-12-19 11:32 AM
synthetic - 2011-12-19 11:52 AM
MadMathemagician - 2011-12-19 8:58 AM

I like fast food. It is convenient, after all.  Calories are calories.   It's like anything else that can be abused.    If one indulges in fast food, just burn more calories with a bit more swim/bike/run.

With the above said, I only eat it one or twice a week.   I don't abuse it at all.

Breakfast; I'm going against the grain.  Most days I don't eat it.  Much prefer to wait for brunch.   I eat what is available in the fridge or the cabinets.    It may come from the fact that I don't like routines.  Routine = rut for me.

Brunch today will be a turkey sandwich made from leftovers, a slice of coconut cream pie, and a glass of chocolate milk.  Who knows what I will eat for breakfast/brunch tomorrow.   I don't

INCORRECT

Calories are a unit of measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of water by 1 degree. Correct       This is something that has NO meaning in the human body. Maybe      For instance, fat, in order to be broken down into usable energy must be processed in the liver thanks to certain enzymes. Not very accurate       Artificial transfats (found in 99% of fast food) block this enzyme from functioning - thus this fat is permanent - it may not appear on your gut but definitely sticks around in your arteries. So far out in left field you need to revisit your physiology text.

go tell these guys they are wrong then:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7345825

2011-12-19 7:36 PM

User image

Medford Oregon

I will eat McDonalds (usually a big mac) once a year to remind myself how terrible it makes be feel and my body goes into shock.  I try and eat clean year round, with my vices being dark chocolate and red wine!

2011-12-19 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3944315

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Flapjack - 2011-12-19 1:05 PM
daharryone - 2011-12-19 12:59 PM

I usually don't eat fast food but on some rare occasions; I don't feel well when I do.

I usually eat whatever is its closest natural state as breakfast.

There was a yahoo article on this but my father actually had the same thing happened to him. He left a cheeseburger from a McD in his coat pocket for several months. He found it still ok...I dont' think i want to eat anything that can survive several months like that.... 

Only a dude would put a cheeseburger in his pocket.  Ladies have you ever done this?

Haaaaa! Oh, but I always throw a stash of Micky D fries in my purse - ya know for those stressful driving moments when I get stuck going round and round a round-about! LOL

2011-12-19 10:35 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

How do you feel about fast food in general?  It's probably not the best food choice healthwise, but eating it isn't the end of the world.  So when I have it, I enjoy it.  I don't sit there feeling guilty about my meal choice.

How often do you eat fast food? Weekly

And what do you typically have for breakfast?  Bowl of cereal (mix shredded wheat and something else like cheerios or chex), loaded with fresh fruit (strawberries/blackberries/raspberries/blueberries/bananas -- basically whatever I've got) and nonfat milk, a cup of coffee w/ a little milk, sometimes a small glass of OJ, and half of a bagel w/ a reasonable amount of cream cheese.

2011-12-20 12:11 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
meatcookie - 2011-12-18 7:46 AM

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

I made a decision to NEVER eat fast food again, after getting violently ill at Jack in the Box, and having a hair and paper wrapping still on the cheese in my sandwich from Arby's. And hamburgers & fries from McDonalds just make me feel crappy.

This means the ones you mentioned including KFC, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and similar.  My main gripe with them is they are catering to the ultra-lowcost crowd, with the highest margin possible... which means creating the absolute cheapest product that a human body will process. For example, check out what McDonalds puts in their "McRib" sandwich. The term "restructured meat product"might give you a clue. You won't eat there ever again!!

Fast food is all about SALT, GREASE, & BREADING.

I felt it was time to be responsible with what ingredients I'm consuming, so made the "law".

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)

NEVER !!!

And what do you typically have for breakfast?

Yogurt, fresh fruits (papaya, banana, kiwi),  Eggs, Potatoes (usually Sweet Potatoes)

trying to limit bread - sometimes whole grain toast, and whole grain cereals, oatmeal occasionally

2011-12-20 2:13 AM
in reply to: #3945305

User image

Medford Oregon
metafizx - 2011-12-20 12:11 AM
meatcookie - 2011-12-18 7:46 AM

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

I made a decision to NEVER eat fast food again, after getting violently ill at Jack in the Box, and having a hair and paper wrapping still on the cheese in my sandwich from Arby's. And hamburgers & fries from McDonalds just make me feel crappy.

This means the ones you mentioned including KFC, Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, and similar.  My main gripe with them is they are catering to the ultra-lowcost crowd, with the highest margin possible... which means creating the absolute cheapest product that a human body will process. For example, check out what McDonalds puts in their "McRib" sandwich. The term "restructured meat product"might give you a clue. You won't eat there ever again!!

Fast food is all about SALT, GREASE, & BREADING.

I felt it was time to be responsible with what ingredients I'm consuming, so made the "law".

Well said....you should see how they make Mcnuggets!

2011-12-20 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.

OK, thanks once again!  My answers:  There is a lot of bad choices to be made not only at fast food, but also at your grocery store, even Whole Foods.  Important macro-nutrients are neglected by people wanting to banish all fat from their diet, and often enough their extremes come with undesirable side effects.  The industry gets a bad rap, but people should take more personal responsibility.  I don't blame McDonald's for my ballooning up to 282 pounds, I blame myself.  I knew better than to eat two super-sized meals a day.  Most everyone knows better.  I am, however, grateful to have McDonald's at my disposal now that I know how to use it as a tool that allows me the extra time to get in my workouts and manage the rest of life.  I've lost over 90 pounds so far eating fast food on average greater than once a day.  I guess I won't ramble too much here...the article for which I'm researching is just for my blog. You can follow me there if you'd like to hear more about my reasoning...There's only a couple entries so far, but should be another later today or tomorrow.  In short:

Fast food can be bad...and it can be beneficial - just like the grocery store.

I eat fast food greater than once per day on average.

Almost always an Egg McMuffin Monday-Friday.  Often on the weekends too.

2011-12-20 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3945472

User image

Extreme Veteran
meatcookie - 2011-12-20 7:28 AM

OK, thanks once again!  My answers:  There is a lot of bad choices to be made not only at fast food, but also at your grocery store, even Whole Foods.  Important macro-nutrients are neglected by people wanting to banish all fat from their diet, and often enough their extremes come with undesirable side effects.  The industry gets a bad rap, but people should take more personal responsibility.  I don't blame McDonald's for my ballooning up to 282 pounds, I blame myself.  I knew better than to eat two super-sized meals a day.  Most everyone knows better.  I am, however, grateful to have McDonald's at my disposal now that I know how to use it as a tool that allows me the extra time to get in my workouts and manage the rest of life.  I've lost over 90 pounds so far eating fast food on average greater than once a day.  I guess I won't ramble too much here...the article for which I'm researching is just for my blog. You can follow me there if you'd like to hear more about my reasoning...There's only a couple entries so far, but should be another later today or tomorrow.  In short:

please get a full blood lipid test and post it here... dont fool yourself thinking the egg mcmuffin is healthy..the eggs are fried in margarine . You might be losing weight on the outside but still clogging arteries on the inside.

2011-12-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3945863

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
synthetic - 2011-12-20 11:26 AM
meatcookie - 2011-12-20 7:28 AM

please get a full blood lipid test and post it here... dont fool yourself thinking the egg mcmuffin is healthy..the eggs are fried in margarine . You might be losing weight on the outside but still clogging arteries on the inside.

Done every year...just done again over the summer and all of my labs are wonderful.  I don't remember exact numbers, but my total was low, LDL was low, hdl was high. ratio was good and tris were low.  One of these days I'll see if I can get a copy of my med records for my own reasons anyway.  I'll put my Egg McMuffin up against a bagel and OJ anyday.

2011-12-20 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
as from the other thread lets see the vLDL or your just full of it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  

of 5