General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-12-17 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast?

Hope I can post this here for greater views that the nutritional section...I'm doing some research, it'd be awesome if you can take 30 seconds to answer three quick questions.. Thanks!

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)

And what do you typically have for breakfast?

2011-12-17 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3942132

User image

Regular
Westfield, IN
Subject: RE: Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast?
1) it's all horrible for you and extremely fake. But I love French fries.2) almost never eat it.3) Bagel with cream cheese or oatmeal
2011-12-17 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

1. fast "food" is horrible. i don't even think it should be classified as a food its so fake. 

2. never. 

3. cereal, bagel and peanut butter, fruit

2011-12-17 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City Area

1) I'd say it's pretty bad for you with all the fat, sodium and (likely) preservatives.  However it probably isn't much different for you health-wise than a lot of the processed frozen foods in the grocery store.

2) Personally, I probably only eat it once a month or so.  I think of it as a treat for myself every now and then.

3) Breakfast for me is almost always plain oatmeal (not from a packet) with a small amount of dried cranberries and chopped pecans added for flavor and texture.  No added sugar. 

Hope this helps.

2011-12-17 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

I eat it from time to time (fast food when I'm coming home late, kids are hungry and I want someone else to prepare my food).  Probably 2 to 3 times a month.  I look at nutrition more at a weekly snapshot opposed to daily.  So if one day I veer off track, I don't sweat it.

For breakfast I usually eat cereal with skim milk.  On weekends I'll cook omelettes, pancakes or french toast.

2011-12-17 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
1.). Love the way it tastes, but it's so bad for that...2.) Never (not in over five years)3.) Cereal and toast On a side note, I said something in the car with my kids the other day about a Big Mac. My kids' response..."What's a Big Mac?" I guess we're doing something right.

2011-12-17 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Never. I think you can ALWAYS find a better, healthier choice with little effort. I don't usually have a traditional breakfast, I usually train first and then start eating in the early morning.

Edited by bryancd 2011-12-17 1:10 PM
2011-12-17 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

I pretty much only eat fast food on a long road trip, and even then it's usually a salad or burrito - none of that greasy garbage that many Americans eat weekly (if not daily). If most people ate sensibly the health care system would be in a lot better place, but that's a whole other thread and debate...

As for breakfast, I always have a bowl of low-sugar cereal with a generous helping of strawberries or blueberries, skim milk, and a pint glass of OJ.

I snack during the day - usually an apple, granola bar or raisins and almonds does the trick.

2011-12-17 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI

I'll play:

1.  Fast food is generally bad - high in sodium fat, refined sugars etc.  There are selections you can make that will take you from "really bad" to "pretty bad".

2.  Multiple times a week, typically only for lunch.  Yes, I realize I should stop eating it and that there's no rational reason to eat it if I KNOW it's bad.

3.  Breakfast is typically granola with soy milk or regular milk.

I'd also bet that you end up with a self selction bias in the results.  The people that don't eat fast food are probably more likely to answer than the daily consumers.  Heck, I almost didn't respond due to my own "Wendy's guilt"

2011-12-17 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
As the others have said, fast food is bad for you and I never it in (unless you think Chipotle is fast food, then about 1x every 2-3 months). I could not tell you the last time I was in a McD, BK, Taco Bell or Wendys.  Breakfast varies, but lately it is either cereal or muesli (cold oatmeal mixed with almond milk, walnuts, apples and bananas).
2011-12-17 1:23 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

I used to be a fast food lover- cant beat Mc Donalds fries! Ate it on road trips or quick lunches out.  Then I started eating right and running a lot more ( I have always been a runner and still ate bad).  The thought of anything other than an occasional chick fil a ( once a month maybe) makes me ill.   They just opened a Mc D at the end of my street- it saddens me to see the parking lot full every day- the town's just gonna get fatter and the owner richer.  2 years ago I would have been sooo happy to have one so close.   Now I worry about my 2 year old being able to recognize the signage already.  My hubby and I have vowed to NEVER take her there! I ran through the parking lot this am on my way home from my 13 miler- LOVE the guilty look from the people pulling in to the  parking lot!  Its the " I am really hungry and dont have any self control " look.  I give them a big smile and run faster!

I have a Visalus shake most mornings- usually with peanut butter- best way to start my day!

2011-12-17 1:25 PM

User image

Pro

I don't really like fast food. It's not good for you in terms of quality or nutrition, and it doesn't taste nearly as good as the equivalent food properly made. How long does it really take to make a burger?

I'll grab a chicken sandwich and fries maybe twice a year. 

For breakfast I eat a bagel probably 6 days a week. Most times I put either an egg on top or hummus and tomatoes. Blueberry preserves if I crave something sweet.

2011-12-17 1:29 PM

User image

Melon Presser

How do you feel about fast food in general? (the stereotypical stuff like McDonalds, Burger King, etc)

The food itself, most of it, isn't food, and is shockingly high in everything that you're not supposed to eat.

However, like most unfoodlike things that you really shouldn't eat, I don't think there's anything wrong with eating it, say, on special occasions, and for goodness' sakes, not a whole meal to yourself, and definitely not up-sized.

How I feel about fast food symbolically and sociologically are best encapsulated in Fast Food Nation and SuperSize Me.

How often do you eat fast food?  (daily, weekly, monthly, never?)

When I'm well and able-bodied, probably once every two weeks. (I can't help myself. A delicious boy will deliver the delicious food 24/7 right to your door here).

And what do you typically have for breakfast?

Lowfat milk and some healthy-type cereal (lowfat low sugar granola, high fiber cereal, etc., cooked oatmeal), or PB on toast with a bit of jelly or honey ... a piece of fruit ... and coffee with lowfat milk and sweetener (stevia, usually).
2011-12-17 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Never eat fast food wouldn't even entertain the thought of it.

As for breakfast, I eat steel cut oatmeal with raisins, chopped almonds, a little almond butter and honey, and a banana sliced on top ... my favorite meal of the day by far.
2011-12-17 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
1)worst food imaginable!!!! 2) maybe 4-6 times a year when desperate and it's usually the chicken at Wendy's if I do so. Maybe a burger 1-2 times a year 3) breakfast varies but typically and not necessarily all of this each day: Cheerios regular or some type of healthy cereal. Bagel or some bread product with peanut butter or jelly. Banana or other fruit. Sometimes a Lara bar or cliff bar in car on way to work. I usually Try to take my EPO and HGH between the cereal and banana for better absorption .
2011-12-17 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I love my my Taco Bell, usually once a week or so for lunch!   For breakfast I usually eat a piece of whole wheat toast with butter and peanut butter and a banana with coffee and maybe OJ to drink. 

2011-12-17 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Never eat fast food.  For breakfast I eat 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/3 c raw oats, handful of almonds, and a handful of raisins.  If I just had a really hard workout, I'll add an extra piece of fruit to that. 
2011-12-17 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I eat pretty much everything.  There is nothing wrong with fast food as long as you don't eat it for every meal (like I did in college).

I make it a point to eat breakfast every morning.  During the week I have cereal or oatmeal with coffee.  On weekends I make a larger breakfast for the family, usually eggs and pancakes, after my morning workout.

2011-12-17 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

1. I think fast food is the most significant contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country. 

2. I never eat it. That's not an exaggeration. Even on road trips, fast food alley is usually within a mile of a grocery store.

3. Breakfast is usually a smoothie of frozen fruits, fresh bananas, protein powder ... with almond butter on a piece of toast.

2011-12-17 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Fast food scares me, as there are usually all kinds of additives and God knows what in it and I like to know what I'm putting in my body. I used to eat it on a regular basis; now I can't eat much of it at all without feeling like I have a big rock in my stomach.

As far as how often I eat it, maybe 2-3 times a month - BUT it's not like I eat a Big Mac Value Meal when I do. Last week I had a McD's salad with grilled chicken for lunch. Sometimes I have to stop at McD's for wifi for work (I'm on the road a lot) and I'll get a coffee or smoothie or oatmeal - or if willpower's running a little low, maybe a hamburger or their smallest order of fries (never both). In a pinch, if I'm starving and have no food in my car, I may get a value chicken sandwich from Wendy's or McD's, or a BK veggie burger. Not the BEST nutritional choice but probably about the best choice from a fast food menu.

I have a few usual breakfasts - black coffee and (a) 2 multigrain frozen waffles with light syrup, (b) a whole grain english muffin with peanut butter, (c) a wheat bagel with light cream cheese and smoked salmon, or (d) oatmeal with nuts, raisins and brown sugar. On weekends, maybe scrambled eggs or pancakes or an egg sandwich, and once a week we go out for breakfast/brunch.

2011-12-17 3:42 PM

User image

New user

1) My opinion of fast food is that it is terrible.

2) I never, ever eat it.  Have not for years.

3) Normally half sliced chicken sandwich on whole wheat, banana, & protein shake. 

2011-12-17 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
I eat fast food possibly twice a month and one of them being w the kids @ Chick Fil A. Usually get the Grilled chicken sandwich. Also a huge fan of Taco Bell. Stick w the Chicken Soft Tacos and the all time best Bean Burrito. Always skip the fully loaded sodas though, a DC occassionally.

Breakfast is all over the place, favorite is French Toast or Peanut Butter on waffle/bagel. 1/2 Cheerios and 1/2 sugar stuff (Apple Jacks, Capt Crunch, Golden Grahams, etc).

Thankfully I train.
2011-12-17 4:47 PM

User image

I dont ever eat any McDonald's, Burger king or anything similar to it.  A couple times a month I will have a Burrito from Baja Fresh, a Subway sandwich or a pita from Pita Pit though.

I eat breakfast every morning and the majority of the time it is oatmeal with either berries or apples in it, almond butter and raisins.

2011-12-17 5:00 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I think fast food is terrible and the thought of what I used to eat regularly disgusts me.

The closest thing that I eat to fast food is a Subway sub and that might be once every 2-3 months.  About once a year I get a weird hankering for McDonalds fries.

Breakfast is usually either oatmeal with raisins or an english muffin with eggs and a banana.

2011-12-17 5:18 PM

Regular
Albany, Ga
I do eat McDonalds, Wendy's, Subway, Chic Fil A, and occasionally pizza or Chinese. I think the choices I make at those places and the total caloric intake are suitable for me and my goals (rarely burgers or fries). I have a good friend who owns some McDonalds stores, and I agree with his assessment. He says if you are eating Double Cheeseburgers n fries all the time and washing it down with a Coke, you ain't gonna be hanging around too long. Moderation and 80% rule are key. For breakfast it is Peanut Butter on toast topped with banana slices. Black coffee. Water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you eat fast food? And what do you typically eat for breakfast? Rss Feed  

of 5