BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-12-18 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Subject: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME:
 sdanaher - Shane Danaher

STORY: 

Doing my 4th year of triathlon in 2012.  I've build a base over the past several years to be ready to try to take own more intensity this year for IM training and have real time-oriented goals.  Doesn't mean I'll hit them, right??

The first couple years I did triathlon it was much more of a hobby as I learned everything I could and now I feel like I know enough that I can really work on honing my work from the past few years.  And I love helping others, so this is a great opportunity for me also.

I'm online quite a bit due to work, travel, etc, so I hope to have a very active group.

FAMILY STATUS: 

Married, with a 4 year old.

CURRENT TRAINING: 

I train 10-20 hours a week, HRM based, no power meter.  I travel for work a lot so I do a lot of work in the middle of nowhere, without access to my own bike, running routes, or a known pool.  

I do use a training plan (or have in the past) - working on what I'm going to do this year for a plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

This past year I did an HIM and 2 Ironmans (both in 2 weeks) - IMKY and Rev 3 CP.  It was an unreal experience.  And both were very different experiences.  These were my 2nd and 3rd IM.  I'll do my 4th (and maybe 5th) in 2012.

2012 RACES:  

Local Sprint

Kinetic 70.3

Eagleman 70.3

Beach 2 Battleship 140.6

Maybe another IM - thinking about IMKY for a 3rd time.

WEIGHTLOSS: 

Negative. Though that was part of my goal when I started in 2007/2008

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: 

I get it.  I have a VERY busy life.  Last year I did 2 Ironmans (and other races) with a 4 year old, traveling almost every other week for work, and finishing my MBA at Virginia Tech.  It was A LOT.  A LOT.  But it can be done with smart training a realistic goals.

I get that and love helping others with it too.  

So if you are busy, want to fit it in, and work around with a bunch of others doing the same and feel a part of that group... join up!

I'm particularly looking to build a group of people looking at their first (or close to) HIM or IM.  If we can get a group of people in that regard, we can share and learn together.

Edited by sdanaher 2011-12-21 8:58 AM

2011-12-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Sarnia
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - OPEN

Shane, I'd love to join your group...

Story - Pretty new to tri's, having completed a sprint and Oly race in the last 2 years.  Started off running and training for a 10k local running race having quit smoking and needing to lose some weight.  Once I completed the race it occurred to me that I needed to focus on something else.  Enter: Triathlon.  I am a fairly busy, married man with a 10 year old daughter that loves to play sports and has taken a bit of an interest in tri's herself and has competed in the local Ironkids race for the last 2 years. 

Current Training: Currently doing Insanity to try and drop some weight, which I need to do desperately.  I am about 20lbs over weight.  After the holidays, I will reinstate runs and bike rides on my trainer (I live in Ontario, Canada so I'm forced indoors for the next couple of months)  Am looking forwards to approx 12-15 hrs a week of work

2012 races: Plan on 2-3 sprint/Oly races and would hopefully be able to race a HIM near the end of the season.  I had planned on Augusta, just have to come up with the $$$$

2011-12-19 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Great! Augusta is a great race I hear! And with good training, a realistic goal.Let's get some others in here.Do you log your training here?
2011-12-19 9:08 PM

User image

Elite

Instantly appealed to me - I'm a full time working mother with a 6 year old daughter and a wonderfully supportive husband!

I live in Australia so am currently in the start of the Tri season - did my first sprint distance two weeks ago.  Tough conditions (check out my report on XOSize Race 2)

Background - got into triathlon through a friend who I admire and aspire to mimic!  She is just about to do her 11th Ironman along with her husband.  I always wanted to run - which I do, I'm a competent but steady swimmer, and a hopeless cyclist.  Before moving to Australia 8 years ago I did no sport, just aerobic classes.....fast forward and I've completed a sprint tri and two marathons!

The tipping point for me was in March 2011 when I went over to New Zealand to support her and her husband on their 10th Ironman - I was blown away by these 'athletes'.  All shapes and sizes, ages and lifestyles, I can do this!

Goals - 2012 January sprint triathlon, February Olympic Distance, June Cairns 2.80.20 (Half Ironman equivalent I suppose), July Gold Coast Marathon, October Noosa Olympic Distance tri.

2013 - well I'd love it to be the year of the Ironman but it depends on how 2012 pans out, I may delay to 2014.

Training - no specific plan at the moment adhoc as per below.  The only real regular is swim squad.

Swim -I go to swim squad 3 x a week one session is now OWS being summer.  2 pool sessions we do 3km sets including drills speed etc - trained by a well known Aussie swim legend John Van Wisse (English Channel and Manhattan marathon swimmer - 3 x winner!).  OWS we do around 2.5km.

Cycle - when I can - it's my least favourite of the 3 disciplines, I'm still in cages as cleats and clips scare me to death!  I hate traffic - on race day I'm fine coz there are no cars!  I do now own an indoor trainer trying to do at least 2 hours a week on that.  Also once a week an hour spin class.  Next purchase is bike shoes and clip pedals and just do it!  I will also be buying some Coach Troy Spinervals.

Run - something i've grown to love, did Melbourne marathon in October, pulled my distances back since then - I run 2-3 times a week with a long run Sunday (15km and over).  I follow the Jeff Galloway regime - run/walk 2mins:1min ratio which has kept me injury free and fresh at the end of the marathon!

Weight - well this wasn't a real goal but a bi-product of the swimming, since March when I started with the squad I've lost 30lbs!  10 to go....to get to 140.

For obvious reasons I'm time poor - I have to commute to work 1 hour each way and family time also has to remain an important focus.

After the holidays I shall embark on one of the BT plans for Half Ironman - very excited to committing myself to that.

A mentor is just what I need!  I'm very diligent at filling in schedules plans and progress and love to share!

Let's do this!!! 

JoJo

2011-12-19 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Shane, I'd like to join your group.

WHEN CAN YOU START BEING MENTORED CONSISTENTLY: Now.

NAME: Fred, 37,  I am based in Montreal, QC, Canada.

STORY: Casual runner for years, I never really get serious on training or races. Back in 2010, I did get moved by the story of a co-worker who promised his dad, long-life runner,  on his deathbed he would run a marathon. So I joined the local running club at work and did get out 3xweeks. Did injure my Achilles in April 2011, so I decided to do cross-training and hit the pool. I did like the balance it brought, so I decided to buy a bike and do my first sprint (shameful 1h50 if I recall...), but I did get the bug. Also get pulled by my running club to run my first half-marathon (with Advil and antibiotics... but I had a blast!). 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 10 years and father of 4 kids (7/5/3 and 3 - yes twins!). Very proud that my wife joined a Master class this year and is now contemplating a triathlon in 2012. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Periodization concept is alien to me. I run 3x weeks (1h per session) and swim  3x weeks (1h30 per session). Bike is my issue, with a mere 1h per week for the last couple of months . I hope Santa will get me the trainer I am looking for. I will then need to get proper clip-less pedals and bike shoes. If there's more money left in the bank, aerobar would be nice. I would be able to put a few long rides when the Canadian weather allows.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  1xSprint (Mt Tremblant), 2xOly (Valleyfield and Montreal), and 2x half-marathon (one being Montreal). As you can tell, I am not a very big traveler....But having the family around during the race and on the finish line is a big plus. I still cannot believe I did 5 real races on my first year. I wish I had started earlier!

2012 RACES:  I am planning to run the Mt-Tremblant 70.3 on Jun 24th and I contemplate a full marathon in Aug with a couple of Oly in between.

WEIGHT LOSS:  currently at 130 lbs for 5'4. Sometimes struggling to keep on weight. I was concerned I would not find a wet suit, fortunately the X-Terra XS did the trick.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER:  I am really looking forward to my first HIM and I need all the help and advises I can. I am very into the various theories of the triathlon arena, but I am still confused with many elements of the training plan. So I will have many (stupid) questions that other trainees may not dare ask but could benefit from the answer.

Fred

2011-12-19 11:26 PM

User image

Master

Hi Shane,

I would like to join your group.

My name is Kirsten, I will be 40 in January and I am a complete newbie. 

Many years ago, when I first heard about Ironman, I thought "That would be cool to do".  Never really did anything about it, cause thought it was out of reach.  About 18 months ago, I decided I would like to run a marathon.  Had always wanted to run one, but never felt as though my knees, ankles, (insert body part here) would be able to take it.  I had been going to the gym for awhile with a co-worker to lose weight, had run a bit on the treadmill with no real difficulty, so decided to go ahead.  Found one to aim for and started training.  Before I could get too far, ended up having some feet issues.  Got that worked out and found another marathon to go for.  Signed up for an online training program, took the bull by the horns and did it. 

Since then I have completed a half marathon and a 30 km.  As my body is not getting any younger, decided to make the move to triathlons.  Started swimming a few months ago, sporadically and recently have been trying to go at least 2x week.  Finally bought myself a good road bike and started riding about a month ago.  I have kept up my running, approximately 3 runs per week.

My goal race is a HIM at the end of July in Calgary, AB (I am near Vancouver, BC).  I have a couple of sprints and an Olympic lined up in and around town here beforehand.  I am very much a goal oriented person and so I set my goals big and work towards them.  If I fall short, so be it, the goal just gets moved further into the future.

The fact that you are really busy is what has drawn me to your group.  Between home and work commitments I don't have a ton of time to train.  I have been doing a lot of reading on triathlon, but will really appreciate the personal help and encouragement.  I think my biggest struggle will be trying to get in two a day training sessions as I really hate to get up in the morning!

Looking forward to learning from everybody!

2011-12-20 12:45 AM

Annapolis, MD

I would like to join your group.

I started triathlons last year.  I did Chesapeake man and Lewes, De sprints and was hooked.  I went home and saw that Eagleman 70.3 had spots still availble. So crazy me with two races under his belt signed up. 

My background information: Brian, 33 Annapolis, MD.  When I started training last summer I was 6'3" and 312 lbs.  I am currently at 275lbs.  I work rotating shift work.  So training schedule varies all the time.  I have always been and good swimmer, and I love road biking.  Running I do not hate it, we tolerate each other.  Running is defiently my weak point. 

Right now I am dealing with a left knee issue.  My baker's sist is the size of a lacrosse ball.  Waiting to see the ortho surgon right now.    

Still swimming right now 4 days week.  I was trying to get down to 250lbs by June for eagleman, hopefully that still happens. 

My goals:  1. Get in the best shape of my life and stay there.     2. Make it to Kona for an Ironman.   3.  Show that big guys can make it the sport of triathlon.

Brian

2011-12-20 5:30 AM

User image

Regular
Western PA

Hi Shane, I'd also like to join your group.

NAME: Tom

STORY: I played soccer year round in high school, but I put on 30 pounds when I tore cartilage in my knee and another 30 in college and never really looked back. Ten years later I decided enough was enough; it was time to get back into shape. I chose triathlon because it was kind of exotic, sounded cool, and I figured three sports wouldn't be boring. When I told my family, my seven year old son laughed. My five-year-old daughter said she could beat me in a race, and my wife insisted I take out more life insurance. The rest is history. When I started, I never imagined I could even think about doing an Ironman. But after reading so many stories here on BT and going up to Lake Placid last summer, I find myself signed up for IMLP. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, ages 8 and 9, with another on the way. With a due date two weeks before IMLP, I'm hoping the third baby will early like the first two and not late. Balancing training and family is a priority this year.

CURRENT TRAINING: Not nearly what it should be. To counter this, I'll be using Don Fink's 30 week IM training program

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  IM Lake Placid

2012 RACES:  This past year I did a local sprint, the oly distance at the Pittsburgh Tri, and Timberman 70.3

WEIGHT LOSS:  The way I see it, the more weight I lose, the easier the hills at Lake Placid will be. If I could lose 40 pounds over the next 30 weeks, I'd be happy.

2011-12-20 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

Ok, so far we've got 6, I'd like to keep it open until about 10:

bmeere, jobaxas, fdulak, bcraht, brianclyde, ladlehaus

JoJo,

I can totally understand the time and effort involved in trying to take this on with a busy lifestyle (and so can many others).  For me, it helps keep balance.  The one thing I know I will be doing every day is my training plan.  That really helps with my sanity.  Sometimes it makes me insane too, of course.

Very glad you will be filling out your training logs.  That will really help as you pose questions to our group.  Oh, and yeah.. you definitely have to get out of cages.  I get the scare part, but it will just make such a huge difference on the bike to be out of cages.

Fred, 

You are great for this group!  I remember staring down at my first HIM.  When I signed up for it, I did not yet own a tri bike (I had a gnarly road bike), no aero bars, and no trainer.  I soon realized I needed those things to reach my goals, so I did get them.  But I totally understand signing up first and then figuring out what to get  You see a lot of people approach long distance in 1 of 2 ways:

1) Wildly prepared and want to do the best they really can

2) People that want to achieve it without necessarily being perfect, and can hone from there. 

I was #2, and you seem to be as well.  I really enjoyed doing an HIM and setting a baseline for future races (FWIW, I've only done 3 HIMs and my 3rd was about an hour faster than my first - which is quite a bit of a time shave for 70.3)

Kristen,

Yes, your biggest struggle with be days that require 2 sessions.  And yes, you will wake up early  Triathlon has actually made me amorning person over 4 years.  Before I did this, I was a gamer and would be up playing online games with friends until 2am almost every night.  I could barely get out of bed.  For the past couple years now, I can barely stay up past when I put my 4yo to bed at 8pm.  When I'm in full swing training mode (which starts 1/1 for me), I wake up at 4:30am pretty regularly.  

Brian, 

Get healthy!  Eagleman is worth it!  What a great race.   This will be my 2nd time.  I regret not doing it last year (I did it in 2010) and it was my worst 70.3 time ever (heat index over 105 that day on the run turnaround).

I might do Chesapeakeman aquavelo as a training day this year for B2B, so maybe anything you can tell me about that race event would be nice too!  

Tom,

Awesome.  I can relate.  IMLP will, no doubt, be a blast.  Having a supportive family is so critical.  I have no idea if I could do this if my wife didn't mind.  She also does triathlon, but not with the rigor I approach it.  She is much more casual.  Though this year she may be more committed, which is great, but will also impact my own training. 

As for the 30 week plan, that's great.  I've read quite a bit of that plan and it just makes sense, which is awesome.  I'm sure Don says it in there, but don't incur heartache if you miss sessions.  IM training is more about consistency that hitting every workout at the proper time.  Just get out there as often as you can according to plan.

2011-12-20 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ

Hi Shane, I'd like to join the group.

NAME: seankanary - Sean Hendrix

STORY: Very very new at this, but have had the bug since my friend told me about this about 5 months ago. I'm 28 and quit smoking about a year ago.. was smoking roughly 1.5-2 packs a day for almost 12 years ($250+ a month in cigs could by a sweet bike =))  Since I quit smoking, Ive been running quite a bit, lets just say more than I have ever in my life. Running has helped me not smoke because I don't ever want to feel that "holyshitmylungsareabouttoexplode" feeling again. My dad used to be a pretty competitive bi-athlete and is letting me borrow his old bike, so I have been slowly getting into cycling as well. I have absolutely no swimming experience other than drinking beers in my pool =) Lets just say I can stay afloat.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Carrie), no kids yet, and 1 spoiled rotten dog (Sadie)

CURRENT TRAINING: As of now, I average 25-40 Miles on the bike a week and 10-15 miles a week running. 1 or 2 times a week trail running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None =(

2012 RACES: I have a few that I am interested in, but havent signed up for anything yet. Most likely I will do the Xterra White Tanks 20k Trail run on Jan 8th

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am currently at 192 (5'11) and would love to be somewhere around 180-185. 186 Was the least Ive ever weighed in my adult life, but I was finishing up school, not eating, and living off of coffee and ciggs. I weighed 250-260 in 2004/5 and I never want to be there again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: Good listener and can follow directions well. I'm online a lot and hopefully can help motivate other newbies like me =)

2011-12-20 7:55 AM

Regular
Indiana

Hello everyone!

I would like to join this group. It seems like we all have the same goals and time commitments.

I would like to start as soon as possible.

I just took on the adventure of triathlon this past year and completed four sprint triathlons. I am happy to say that I improved my time and had more fun as the year progressed.

In 2006 I was in a car wreck that almost took my life. I also had severe damage to my back, left hip, and ankle. I started using the pain as a reason to not be active. I gained a lot of weight between then and Dec. 2009 when I finally decided to stop licking my wounds and to push through the pain. A friend of mine asked me to come watch him run a sprint triathlon. So I did. I watched people of all ages, sizes, and disabilities run this race. As people were exiting the water I noticed a girl with one leg hopping out of the water with a huge smile on her face. I stood in amazement. Later in the race I saw her running toward the finish line with a prosthetic leg and again a huge smile on her face. WOW! She had so much joy and I would imagine a huge sense of accomplishment. As I drove home I told myself that if she can do it and was not making excuses then I had no room to sit on my behind. She inspired me to not let a little pain handicap me.

This year I am planning on attempting to compete in my first OLY and HIM along with my first half marathon and the same sprint races as last year. This is a full schedule, but one I think is doable with the proper support and training.

After looking back over my last year the one thing I would do different is to make sure I do not neglect my family. This sport can consume a person if you let it. This is very hard to do and something that will be even harder this year since my distances are more than doubling from last year.

I used the sprint training plan from TriathlonGeek.com and plan on using the same this year. It is the most complete set of plans I have ever seen. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a solid plan for all levels of competition.

I would really like to join this group to learn from those who have gone before me in these longer distance events.  Plus it will be fun and motivating to here everyone’s experiences during the coming season.

I look forward to being part of this group.

2011-12-20 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Name: Johnny

Story: This is my third year of doing triathlons. I'm 30 years old and a year ago I got out of the Army after serving for 10 years. I am a stay at home dad for my 21 month old daughter, and I go to school full time during nights/weekends/online. We've been trying to sell our house for the last 6 months, and that has been a ton of work. I am definitely a time crunched triathlete. In addition to triathlons I enjoy training for and doing the mud run obstacles courses like Tough Mudder.

Family Status: Married with a 21 month old daughter.

Current Training: My first trail run race (25k) is coming up January 7th, so I have been working on that and doing some Crank (Crossfit kind of stuff) until starting up more disciplined triathlon training the second week of January. I'm still working out my training plan to incorporate what I need for my various events, but with the ultimate goal of being ready for Eagleman in June. For the winter I will be doing most of my biking on the trainer, using the combination of SufferFest and TrainerRoad to bring my training to a different level.

This year's races: Triathlon this year was a bit disappointing. I managed a local Splash N' Dash, and then my Olympic course was washed out due to heavy rains so it was cut to a 800m swim, 15 mile bike, 10k run in what felt like a hurricane. I got horribly sick the week before my scheduled HIM (would have been my first) and ended up missing the race entirely. I did manage to knock out three Tough Mudders (two on back to back days) this year.

2012 Races: I've got a local 25k trail race and a mud run, but my big race this year is Eagleman 70.3. It will be my first HIM, and even though I trained to do a HIM last year, I have a lot of work to do. I don't have anything planned for after Eagleman, and I'll wait to make those decisions. I have dreams of doing a 50k this year, but I need to take things one step at a time.

Weightloss: I have let myself slip over the last couple of months and I'm too heavy right now (250). I've done all of my races before at 230-235, but I'm setting my sights on a race weight of 215 for Eagleman.

I want to be in a mentor group because it helps when I have a group of like minded people I can be held accountable to. Plus mentors are really good when it comes to advice. I used a mentor last year for a bit and got a ton of good information.

2011-12-20 8:25 AM

Regular
Indiana

Sorry, I forgot to answer a few of your questions.

I am 43 yr. old with a very understanding and supportive wife for the past 23 yrs.

We have an three kids, 12, 11, 8. They keep us very busy with all their extracurricular activities.

My daughter (12) has decided to do a sprint race with me this year. I am very excited!

I plan on doing the following races:

Carmel, IN. sprint tri

Indy Mini marathon

Pokegan OLY

Winona Lake Sprint tri

Steelhead 70.3

Wawasee Sprint

Tri the Creek Sprint

It looks like we have a great group here with varying experience and motivation!

2011-12-20 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Hi Shane.  I'd like to join the group.  Hope there's still a spot left.

NAME: Dave

STORY: I a newbie triathlete with eyes bigger than my brains.  I started running this past March after signing up for the Tough Mudder event in Wisconsin that was held in July.  Little did I know that would be the start of something like this.  I did a few shorter local races (see below) and really enjoyed them, so I started to look for more races.  Probably around June/July I started learning more about tri's from the massage guy at my chiropractor, so I started reading online and instantly got hooked.  I tried a local mini-triathlon in August and was sold!  My schedule didn't allow for another tri this year, but I almost pulled the last-minute trigger on a sprint.  So this fall I've been reading and trying to learn as much as possible as well as acquiring some basic tri gear so I'm ready for next season.  I've got some big (and probably slightly crazy) goals for 2012 - namely finishing a HIM and my first marathon.  I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but seeing some of the stories of IM's being people's first tri, I know I'm committed so I'm just going to go for it!

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Kristin), 3-year-old daughter (Emily), 2 x seven-year-old dogs (Betsy & Buster).  They definitely come first, so my workouts are always very early in the morning while they're still sleeping.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been following the Barry P running plan for about 4 weeks now, holding steady at 20 mpw.  I've also been loosely following Jorge's plan, usually getting 3 rides per week, sometimes 2, all on the trainer.  I haven't swam much since August (yikes) but plan to start up again after the New Year arrives.  I also strength train one day a week and go to a boot camp once a week.

2011 RACES: local 5k, Warrior Dash IL, local 10k, Tough Mudder Wisconsin, Woodridge Mini-Triathlon, Chicago Urbanathlon, Aurora Half Marathon

2012 RACES: Indy 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, Galena Sprint Triathlon, Capitol View Oly Triathlon (Madison, WI), IM 70.3 Racine, Rev3 Wisconsin Dell's HalfRev, Chicago Marathon.  (A bit of a scheduling screw-up with the two HIM's - signed up for Rev3 early, then thought I had a conflict so signed up for Racine - not sure what to do now!)

WEIGHT LOSS:  I am currently at ~180ish (5'11) and would love to be somewhere around 170-175. Two years ago I was at 215ish, but finally saw the light, started doing P90X, then Insanity (my favorite program!), then started running as I mentioned.  I'd love to get rid of some more fat that hangs around - diet is a daily battle.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER: I love working out and planning my workouts and schedules.  I'm pretty dedicated/obsessed with keeping to my schedule and can hopefully be a source of support, too.  I like reading about others' journey's and would love to be part of a group with some common goals and thinking.  Seeing as this is my first tri season and that I've got a HIM coming up, I'm going to need a lot of advice/encouragement/reassuring!

2011-12-20 10:52 AM

New user

And if there is still room for one more, then I'm in. I definitely feel that this would be a perfect group for me (a 41 year old Finnish woman).

STORY: started running 3 years ago (from point zero), bought a roadbike this year and learned to swim properly few months ago. I have finished 3 marathons and 134 km bikeraces.

I never believed I could run 10 km, nor 21.1 km. So finishing my first marathon in 2010 was unbelievable. At this point I want to set a new goal and triathlon sounds challenging enough. So HIM in summer 2012 and IM in 2013 it is.

I have a busy and demanding job in international company. That means no regular working hours (but 24/7), challenging calendar (it's a mess), some travelling and a dissertation defense as a second job.

FAMILY STATUS: no kids, living with a "couch-potato-man" who is great support and caretaker. He has given up a long time ago to try to stop me from doing all the crazy things.

CURRENT TRAINING: during the winter I will have challenging weather conditions ( no open water swimming, no road biking, running not always possible, hate skiing). I have a pool nearby (usually go there 6 am), exercise bike at home and a gym nearby.

It's hard for me to follow a training program (I give up too easily) and I have focused on running. This is something that has to be changed. And I will need all the extra support and motivation to keep on training during this dark-cold-winter.

2012 RACES: May - 1/2 marathon in Helsinki, Finland / June - Stockholm marathon in Sweden + 134 km bike race (at night time) in Tampere, Finland / July or August - HIM somewhere in Finland /  September - 1/2 marathon in Tampere, Finland and Berlin marathon in Germany.

WEIGHTLOSS: some kg's and lear to eat right. Almost ready to give up chocolate, almost...

2011-12-20 12:54 PM

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now
NAME:
 Dan Klinedinst (dkline70)

STORY: 

I own my own business, married and two children.  I’ve done triathlons in the past when I lived in Florida (sprints).  I’ve done one HIM approx. 8 years ago.  I want to finally accomplish the full IM

FAMILY STATUS: 

Married, with a 4 year old and 2 year old.

CURRENT TRAINING: 

I train 5-10 hours a week, HRM based, no power meter.  

I do use a training plan (or have in the past).  This is usually a Friel based plan.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 

No triathlons last year.  Only races were a few 5ks, one 16mi trail run and some cyclocross races this fall.

2012 RACES:  

not sure about the schedule but I think:

Tobacco Road 1/2 thon in march

Blood Sweat & Gears century ride end of June

Beach 2 Battleship 140.6 late October

WEIGHTLOSS: 

This will be an early season goal for me.  I’m 6ft and 220, so I could stand to lose afew lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: 

I am busy with my own business, a wife and two kids.  I am looking for someone equally (if not more busy) as well as someone taking on the same race as myself.

2011-12-20 5:55 PM

Annapolis, MD

Shane,

Chesapeake Man is a good race.  The race start is where Eagleman starts, then T2 is at the High school.  I heard the shuttle from the high school to the great marsh park had a little bit of a wait.  My wife was not racing so, I did not ride the shuttle.   At T1 and T2 they do changing tents and bike drop off.  The course is same as Eagleman, just two laps on the bike.  

i will see where the season takes me I might do the Chesapeake Man aquavelo in 2012.  The race is only 45 mins from my house.  

Brian

2011-12-20 9:47 PM

User image

Elite

So excited to be part of a mentor group!

I started filling out the training log as of last Saturday - this week's been good so far - considering it's the silly season!

I am off to Queensland on 26th December for 12 days, cannot take my bike (long story hubbie nursing a hernia so I already am carrying all of our luggage, i can't manage the bike as well) - but commitment is my middle name so while away I shall run and i shall swim and I have located a Spin Class too so that's in!

I also just have a road bike - this will have to do for next year's events, if I upgrade in 2013 to IM then I will upgrade the bike too.  I have a notions sometimes that I am very much "all the gear and no idea!"

Looking forward to heaps of mentoring!

2011-12-21 1:12 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Have room for one more?
2011-12-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3947230

Regular
Indiana

It is good to have you as part of the group. I see you are associated with the multisportbargains.com group. Do you by chance have a large or X-large full sleeve wetsuit?

I know this might not be the best place to bring this up, but I am desperate for a good deal on a new or used suit since I spent so much on races and equipment last year.

2011-12-21 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3947230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

jaclynembry - 2011-12-21 1:12 AM Have room for one more?

Absolutely!  Let's close the group to newcomers now!  I'll reply more later today to everyone new!

Is anyone working out  over the holidays?  Or waiting until 1/1

2011-12-21 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED
I'll be working out, nothing fancy, just my normal runs and maybe a couple bike rides.
2011-12-21 12:47 PM

I'm definitely trying to get some workouts done over the holidays.  With decreased work responsibilities due to days off, its an opportunity I plan to take advantage of.  A few swims and some easy trail runs and hopefully some mountain biking for me.  

I hadn't mentioned earlier, but I'm in Boone, NC (NW NC).

Happy Holidays everyone.

Dk

2011-12-21 1:39 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

I'm planning on some workouts mixed with some days off, probably 2 off days at each weekend due to traveling for the holidays and just to take a break.  I'm also trying to get my training plans in order for next year.  I've been working on a program by combining components from other programs I've come across (trifuel, Higdon, BarryP, etc.), but I'm still interested in the HIM plan on BT.  Only thing I don't like is that sometimes it throws the long run & long bike on a weekday, which doesn't work for me.  I really want to start using the training log more - how difficult is it to move the sessions around, probably a little every week?  Also seems like I wouldn't be getting the most out of it if I'm rearranging the schedule?  Considering upgrading to use the custom plan creator or maybe just taking my spreadsheet plan (nerd alert - btw, SE in my username stands for Structural Engineer) and entering the planned workouts manually although that seems like a lot of work.  I'm curious as to what experience you all have had with these questions?

Hope everyone has a great Christmas & New Year's!

2011-12-21 1:42 PM

User image

Sarnia
I plan on doing some aerobic work over the holidays and getting on the bike trainer.  Running will start 1/1 (well not likely Jan 1st)....I need to find the motivation to run outside in the Canadian winter....That's where you guys come in...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14