General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-12-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3947585

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread?
what makes a veggie burge healthy? lack of cholesterol? WRONG - your body needs cholesterol and this is made via the fats - and you are making bad cholesterol thanks to the hydrgenated fats in the burger

2011-12-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3947849

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

synthetic - 2011-12-21 11:44 AM what makes a veggie burge healthy? lack of cholesterol? WRONG - your body needs cholesterol and this is made via the fats - and you are making bad cholesterol thanks to the hydrgenated fats in the burger

I was thinking more lack of bad fats. I honestly wasn't 100% sure of the nutritional facts, just assumed it would be the healthiest fast food option. (That and the fact that it's called a "veggie" burger, so of course in a person's mind it must be healthy if it's made of veggies, right?? )

I actually do have to watch my cholesterol. Mine runs high by default due to a medical condition. I can get it to hang out in the normal range with exercise and healthy eating, but it still runs on the high side of normal.

Might I add that I eat burger king once every 2-3 months if that.

2011-12-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3946889

New user
Pasco, Wa
thebigb - 2011-12-20 4:57 PM

Just remember this when you grab your peppermint white chocolate mocha...  

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (16 fl oz)
Calories 500Calories from Fat 180
 % Daily Value*
Total Fat 20g31%
Saturated Fat 13g65%
Trans Fat 0g 
Cholesterol 55mg18%
Sodium 180mg8%
Total Carbohydrate 73g25%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 69g 
Protein 10g

Every so often I'll grab two plain cheeseburgers after my long run.

I kind of wondered if someone was going to bring up Starbucks.  I think this store doesn't get lumped in with the traditional "fast food deathtraps" by most people's standards.  True - you can walk in, get coffee, and leave fairly unscathed.  But since other people on this thread have brought up not just the nutrition facts of ff, but also the food content.... I will tell you...Frappuchinos are TERRIBLE.

I worked for them for a year and a half.  The cream based frapps (think Strawberries and Cream, or Vanilla cream) are made with a substance called "Universal Beverage Base".  Even though it's mixed with nonfat milk, there is not one ingredient that containes less than 12 letters.

This was a few years back, so they may have cleaned up their stuff by now...but somehow I doubt it.

2011-12-22 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3947941

User image

Extreme Veteran
runk8run - 2011-12-21 11:17 AM

synthetic - 2011-12-21 11:44 AM what makes a veggie burge healthy? lack of cholesterol? WRONG - your body needs cholesterol and this is made via the fats - and you are making bad cholesterol thanks to the hydrgenated fats in the burger

I was thinking more lack of bad fats. I honestly wasn't 100% sure of the nutritional facts, just assumed it would be the healthiest fast food option. (That and the fact that it's called a "veggie" burger, so of course in a person's mind it must be healthy if it's made of veggies, right?? )

I actually do have to watch my cholesterol. Mine runs high by default due to a medical condition. I can get it to hang out in the normal range with exercise and healthy eating, but it still runs on the high side of normal.

why is it so hard for you to never eat burger king? why support the beast .... eventually overtime your tastebuds will change and the desire will be lost.

2011-12-22 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3949817

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
synthetic - 2011-12-22 12:08 PM
runk8run - 2011-12-21 11:17 AM

why is it so hard for you to never eat burger king? why support the beast .... eventually overtime your tastebuds will change and the desire will be lost.

I know that tastes change. I used to eat fast food on a regular basis and now it's rare. I eat fast food at times because I have to drive all day for work, and sometimes for whatever reason I don't manage to pack enough food to get me through the day, and picking up a cliff bar at a gas station gets old. Or, sometimes I need to access wifi for work and McD's is the only option.

And on occasion, I eat bad-for-you food (not fast food, but pizza or cheesecake or fried things) because it's yummy, and I'm sorry, as much as my tastes change, a salad and a handful of almonds will never ever ever be as yummy as wings and beer.

Now why are you so concerned with my rare journey through a drive-through?

2011-12-22 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3950294

User image

Pro
Wait......what?  I know I never said anything about wings and beer.  That ain't fast food....that's life-sustaining.

2011-12-22 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3943748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Ok you guys can say what you want about fast food, but step off my lattes!
2011-12-22 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3944696

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe

...the majority of fast food is bad for you, and/or that it makes you feel bad. People don't (usually) continue to eat things that make them feel like crap.

A lot of people on this site have come from an overweight/bad habits background, and speak purely from experience. Which makes it emotionally-driven by nature.

ThisWink

2011-12-23 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3943748

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Cheeseburger,  no pickle no onions and a diet coke.  That is what I get when I go to McDonalds when I teach at night and can't make it home between classes.  It's about all I dare to get.  And yes, the drivetrain morons have screwed up that simple order more than once. I've been handed everything from a meal for a whole family to a kids meal.  No idea how such a simple process can be butchered so badly. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What all the fast food hating in that other fast food thread? Rss Feed  

of 4