General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-28 9:16 PM

Regular
Subject: First Century

Hi -

I'm participating in a 150 mile ride over 2 days and was looking for some training advice.  I live in Minnesota so biking outdoors is not an option.  HOwever, I have access to spin classes, bike trainer and spin bikes.  Anyone has any good advice/resources for me?

Thanks,

Danny A.

2011-12-28 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3958873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: First Century

Hi. I just signed up for a 160K Granfondo myself.  At the local library I found a book by Marla Streb - Bicycling Magazine's Century Training Program: 100 days to 100 Miles

It is an easy read not a lot of science just good advice and it has a training plan.  Your ride is considerably longer but I would imagine the advice should still be pretty good.

Indoor cycling should be a good start and then head outdoors as soon as you can.  Thats my plan.

2011-12-30 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3958994

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
wenceslasz - 2011-12-28 11:37 PM

Hi. I just signed up for a 160K Granfondo myself.  At the local library I found a book by Marla Streb - Bicycling Magazine's Century Training Program: 100 days to 100 Miles

It is an easy read not a lot of science just good advice and it has a training plan.  Your ride is considerably longer but I would imagine the advice should still be pretty good.

Indoor cycling should be a good start and then head outdoors as soon as you can.  Thats my plan.

I have the book and read it, it's pretty good.  Basically tells you how to periodize the volume and plan for the event with the thought of your terrain and weather....Dealing with issues that come up
2012-01-01 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Spin classes will be great for helping you build aerobic volume and getting some strength into your legs. I would take at least 2 one-hour classes/week. On top of that you are going to need time in the saddle; as you pointed out, due to where you live that won't be done outdoors. I would purchase a trainer that you can use at home with your bike and start riding it at least 3 times/week. In the beginning, use the spin classes for your hard workouts and just concentrate on getting time on the bike at home. In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about power at home in the first month, or two. I would start with a time that you feel you can ride comfortably based on your fitness level and then start adding a longer ride one day per week. Riding a century, or a fondo, if you haven't done it is best done by finding a nice steady pace you can hold. Don't feel compelled to try to get up to a certain speed, unless you are fit enough to do so without blowing up. You should expect each day's ride on your event to take 4-6 hours depending on your fitness. It can be faster, but you'd have to be in racing shape to go sub 4 hours. The key is to be fit enough on the bike to enjoy the ride and not struggle. With the spin classes you'll get a tough workout and with your trainer you can log long rides. I would try to work up to a few 3-4 hour rides before you do the event. Find a nice movie (or two) on Netflix, or catch up on the missed episodes from last season on a show you like, and turn the pedals Last thing....practice eating and drinking while you ride so you can see how your body handles taking in calories/hydration. I would recommend trying to consume 250-300 calories per hour of riding - this can be from gels, hard food, or drinks. You can't really process any more than that internally - so get to where you can do this, but don't feel that more is better - it just becomes inefficient. With liquid - you should be drinking regularly - 18-24 ounces/hour depending on your body type and sweat volume. Your calories/hydration are just as important as your training on a long ride. Remember that!
2012-02-13 1:09 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Danny A, where do you live?  I'm in the western suburbs, and we have been biking outside all winter.  If you can't go outside, I would suggest spin classes at the local gym, or a trainer and some good workout / intervals dvd's..
2012-02-15 7:24 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
When is your ride?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Century Rss Feed