BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-05-20 1:26 PM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
Congratulations Carolyn you did it! I was watching you all day yesterday. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Ann, I think I ordered 6 different wetsuits trying to find one that fits. (Thank goodness they had free shipping). Those measurements that the websites gives you are also all wrong, at least for me. I finally got one that fits and it works okay. Since they were full sleeves you should have seen me trying to determine which one fits the best. I bought my sleeveless in a store and I really think that is the best for you so you can try the different sizes on.

2013-05-21 6:34 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hi guys!!! little russki checking in! I'm so sorry to have been MIA for so long, no excuse, really, just busy with life! All good

I promise to not be gone anymore Can't wait to catch up on everyone's posts and meet all the new people!

2013-05-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: mav

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by mav

I have found a lake I can swim in that is 3 miles from my house. I have never tried to go there before because there is no "public access. But after driving around it I found a small gravel path which I can walk. I met a scuba diver who said the residents wont care if AI swim as long as I use the path. This is so awesome because there are very few boats and it is .5 miles long. The huge time suck of driving to swim is over!!!!

Marianne, hi! long time no see I know, i know.. i'm back!
That sounds ridiculously awesome! The lake I use is about 10-12 miles from my house and is 500 yards across, which I find perfect. 4 lengths, bam bam, 2000 yards done! How fun that it's so close. I bet if you go at 5-5:30, no boats and will be a most awesome swim! FUN!
2013-05-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by avisser

CB  Have a great race!  Pace yourself and stay on top of your nutrition.  Have fun!!  You are an incredible inspiration.

I also can't imagine 54 mph on my bike.  I brake when I hit 30.  

Welcome back Mav!!  It's great to see people online again.  

Lou, keep on keepin on.  You will only get stronger.  

I too hope Lena is out there.  Maybe she is busy baking away.

First big race is coming up for me.  June 1st, Rev in CT.  Oly distance with mega hills, by my standards.  Did it for the first time last year in the pouring rain.  So I figure I have to do better if I'm not braking all the time.  I'm just worried about the cold water.  It was pouring last year but the water was warm.  We have had a cold spring here in the Northeast.  I haven't even done an OWS yet.  Trying to borrow a long sleeve wet suit.  Mine is sleeveless. Brrrr!

Be well every one!

ann

Hi Ann I *have* been baking hehe! My kids keep having birthdays, what can you do??
here is the latest couple ones

Nikita's 7th birthday (have I posted this one before? i have been gone so long I can't remember!).. he wanted a Lego Ninjago cake:
Cake at the party

This one I made for our post Chicago-marathon season end celebration with my running group:
Untitled

This one was from a couple of weeks ago when my baby turned 4!
Untitled

Edited by Lyoshka 2013-05-21 9:09 AM
2013-05-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: phildampier

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Lou, great job on your tri!!!!

Mark, 54mph?????? How did you not crash? I know I would have. You da man!
2013-05-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: bar92

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by bar92

My time was 26:44.

That is a great 5K time! I hope to be somewhere close to that by the end of the year! nicely done, Briana!

2013-05-21 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by krazytallchick

elcaminobill - 2013-05-01 8:52 AM Just signed up for the Augusta 70.3 in Sept.

Yeah Billy!  I will get to race and see you again!

I'm so jealous of this! If you guys were any closer, I'd totally come Sherpa both of you!
2013-05-21 4:09 PM
in reply to: elcaminobill

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by elcaminobill

Hello to all.  I said last week or so that I signed up for Augusta 70.3.  I also have a very good buddy that is signed up as well and is committed to me finishing in under 6 hours.  He says that his goal is that even before his finish time, so we will see how that goes!

Little Caesar's Pizza!  Most of the older people remember me saying that we were opening a Little Caesar's Pizza?  Well it is open as of last Tuesday and it is going very well.  If ever in south Mississippi, I will treat you to a Hot n Ready Deep Deep Dish!  Really good recovery food!

I will try to be more active on the site.  I have noticed that the conversations have been to serious with not sarcasim inserted.  I have been falling down on my job!  I promise to do better.  Now, where is my little rushkie?

First, congrats on getting the Little Ceasar's going! Hope it's a very long-lived and successful venture!

Secondly, no sarcasm = bad. Agreed! No worries, I'm sure you will remedy the situation I'm now fully realizing how much I missed this group.
2013-05-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: Lyoshka

Uxbridge
Woo hoooo Lena is back!!!!!

Does anyone else notice the connection between this group and good food????
Pizza and cake!!!
2013-05-21 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I was hoping I wasn't screwing up anyone's training by talking about cake
Pizza and cake is our reward for training hard and all those miles, right?? RIGHT????

Marianne, how are you? SO good to see you hang out here!!!
2013-05-22 7:12 AM

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan i
I am great Lena!!!!
Training for IMAZ again. Looking forward to racing with Bryan this year and meeting crazy tall chick!!! I am actually doing a bunch of other races this year as well. I am doing a sprint in two weeks...I haven't done a sprint in 2 years. I am doing a 2 mile swim race the end of June. Plan on an only and HIM in September.
Last year I only did IMAZ....so this year I actually plan on racing. I bought a new bike.A specialized shiv. I love it. Its very fast

Kids are good ....my son bought a house in Maine. My daughter is going back to school.

2013-05-22 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by mav

I am great Lena!!!!
Training for IMAZ again. Looking forward to racing with Bryan this year and meeting crazy tall chick!!! I am actually doing a bunch of other races this year as well. I am doing a sprint in two weeks...I haven't done a sprint in 2 years. I am doing a 2 mile swim race the end of June. Plan on an only and HIM in September.
Last year I only did IMAZ....so this year I actually plan on racing. I bought a new bike.A specialized shiv. I love it. Its very fast

Kids are good ....my son bought a house in Maine. My daughter is going back to school.

good to hear things are going so great!!! Jealous about the bike! Pics? Don't know if you posted before and I missed while in lala land, but hey, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to repost pics of a new beauty ?

Jealous on the IMAZ front, too! I decided against a HIM this year (too much time and money as a commitment) and I tell you, I am already itching to do one and get really sad when I see other people's plans! So i guess the bug was just sleeping, and now is waking up oh well, it's all good. I purposely made this a lighter year for me (still doing Chicago marathon, a tri and a couple half-marys) and will focus on running speed. I will see that 27 min 5K if it kills me! Next year, though, for sure I'll do a HIM. Hoping for a full Ironman within 3-4 years.

ok, so, about them pics let me live through you
2013-05-23 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Hey Lena!! So good to see you. I'm beat at the moment so can't catchup much. Just baked 3 types of cookies, 2 double batches for my sister's son's HS grad party. It's like Christmas in June. Had to take a second rest day to get this baking done and will have to pull a double work out tomorrow. Has any one seen CB post since her HIM? Maybe I didn't go back far enough? This new site is messing me up. Where are the PMs?? I PM'd a coach and don't know if he replied.
Hugs,
ann
2013-05-27 8:22 PM

Finally checking in after my HIM in Florida last weekend. I had to digest, process, ruminate...and catch up on a boatload of house stuff I've ignored for the past 6 months. (Gads! I totally prefer intense tri training.)

So it wasn't fast and I had some trouble on all three portions of the race but, man, I had fun! My goals were to finish, not permanently injure something or die so mission accomplished. Funny thing, though. As soon as I looked at the results and my splits, I was already planning how I could be faster next time. Much as I thought this might be a one-and-done deal, I'm already looking for the next race.

I have so much to work on but at least now I know what to expect. I'll probably begin with learning to use my bike shoes and clip pedals because I'm pretty sure I was the only yahoo out there biking in her running shoes. I'll also learn how to swim decently and bilateral breathe. It's a real bummer to have all the course buoys on the side that I DON'T turn to when I breathe...pretty sure I swam a good extra couple hundred yards.

I didn't have any trouble with cramping, despite the very hot and humid day, so I felt like I did a pretty good job managing liquids. I was really careful about what and how I ate the week before the race which worked well because I couldn't eat anything during the race. So I'm getting to know what works best for me and can only build on that for future races.

The evening after the race, I fell asleep at 7:30 and slept a straight 12 hours! I was flabbergasted the next morning when not a thing on me was sore and spent 14 hours that day in Disney. I thought I would take a week off from working out after the race but was back in the gym the day after we got home. I really felt wonderful mentally and physically after that race. My son, the swim coach, however took that to mean I held back too much and could have gone a lot faster. Buzzkill.

Now I'm trying to figure out what's next. There WILL be a next. Thanks again for all the help I've gotten here and the good vibes.
Carolyn

2013-05-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: ChunkyBaby

User image

Expert
Welcome to the addiction, Carolyn! Sounds like you did great for your first, but that's what happens. You see things you can improve on and want to go get a better time. Keep up the training, work on those things you need to work on, and you will see those times come down.
2013-05-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: bar92

Regular
Carolyn, fantastic job on finishing Haines City. A bunch of my friends went and told me it was one of the hardest races they had done (and they have done many) I am hoping to get more active again.
Saturday we have our first get together with the IMFL camp, look forward to getting that training going in earnest.

2013-05-29 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations again Carolyn! It doesn't take much to be hooked.

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-05-29 9:37 AM
2013-06-01 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Carolyn, CONGRATS on a fantastic race!!!!! So glad you enjoyed it and had a great experience!!!!
2013-06-02 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Is anyone posting? I'm not seeing any updates since Lena's. So confused!
Did my first tri for the year. Oly Rev in Ct. It was hot!!! And we haven't had any heat so it was tough. Disappointing in some respects but a good training experience for the HIM coming up. Will do a race report asap.
Is everyone ok and out there???? I still can't find the PMs.
2013-06-03 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by avisser

Is anyone posting? I'm not seeing any updates since Lena's. So confused!
Did my first tri for the year. Oly Rev in Ct. It was hot!!! And we haven't had any heat so it was tough. Disappointing in some respects but a good training experience for the HIM coming up. Will do a race report asap.
Is everyone ok and out there???? I still can't find the PMs.

I must have killed the thread! hehe

Can't wait for your report!

Edited by Lyoshka 2013-06-03 9:04 AM
2013-06-03 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Here I am!

Lena, you didn't kill the thread, we have been busy training so we can eat those delicious cakes of yours.

Ann, can't wait to read your race report. Glad to hear you are staying positive about the race and using it as a training guide for your HIM. Cuz that is what it was.

Been trying to decide what to do about my coach. Recently she hasn't been responding to emails like she use to and the training she has scheduled seem funky. I emailed her Thursday about scheduling a time for us to chat and I haven't heard a thing from her. There is a coach that is local that I have been talking to and I am thinking about moving over to him. However I told my current coach I would stay with her as she has to get me across the finish line at IMAZ., now I am questioning that. How would think working with coaches can bring so much anxiety.

Hope everyone has a great week of training!
KTC - Kathy

2013-06-03 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Has anyone had to ship their bike to their races? If so, who do you use?

I know Ironman has recommended someone but I see that there is a Raceday Transport that also transport bikes. I guess I will need to figure out who I am going to use but it is scary handing my bike to someone hoping that the bike will arrive at my race destination in the same condition that I dropped it off as.
2013-06-03 12:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Yea!! You guys ARE out there!!
A couple fo quick questions. Does anyone use tinted goggles? Aways or just when it is very sunny? In my race this week end, the sun was coming up over the buoy after we made our first turn and I couldn't see anything. There were buoys on either side and I couldn't see them either. I was kind of leading my wave and couldn't see the one wave ahead of us. I just swam and my Garmin shows how off I was. It wasn't awful but still very frustrating. I recently went to clear goggles at a coaches suggestions of improved clarity but it didn't work this race. I have some dark tinted googles I was going to try in OWS when I can. Once I made my last turn, I was fine but of course the blinding angle was the longest part. They finally had someone standing on a kayak with an oar up and they were telling people to swim toward her but I was never close enough to a kayak to hear that message although I saw the woman and I think I swam in that direction intuitively,
Just did a nice swim. Felt good. Hoping the weather clears so I can get 25 miles in on the bike.
ann
2013-06-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: avisser

User image

Expert
I'm still here as well.

Kathy, sorry to hear that you are having issues with your coach. I can imagine it would be frustrating to think about switching when you are in the middle of IM training. I'm taking notes on what NOT to do when I'm an "official" coach. Hope things get worked out.

As for tinted goggles - I have some and use them on occasion. If I know it will be sunny during the swim of a race, especially in the direction I need to sight, I will wear the tinted ones. They really do make a difference. But 90% of the time I wear my clear ones. Just make sure that you practice in both so that you are used to each pair and then decide which ones to wear for your race based on the time of the race, the layout of the course, etc.
2013-06-04 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
KTC, It sounds like you need to go for a new coach. How unnerving and unprofessional. However, maybe there are legit personal reasons we don't know about. Give her/him a polite good bye e mail and move on.
Can't help with the bike transport.
Bri, thanks for your offering re goggles.
Carolyn, GREAT JOB on getting it done. And you enjoyed it. I was crippled after my first (and only HIM). Next one this July. It is strangely addicting.

Hugs to all,
ann
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57