BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-06-06 2:27 PM
in reply to: avisser

Orlando
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013
Carolyn,

Just an awsome job finishing and not getting hurt. Being a beginner like me, doing that distance so soon just blows me away. AWSOME JOB!

I have a couple more finish lines. I did the Baldwin Park Triathlon sprint two weeks ago and beat my PR by 11 mins. Just getting down better swimming technique and how to actually bike. Sad you grow up thinking you know how to ride a bike, but you don't In the last three weeks I have improved my speed almost 3 miles an hour over the course, and I have a LONG way to go still.

I know sooner or later these huge time improvements will slow down, but I'm riding the wave while I can

Also signed up for another Olympic Tri .. the BFAST triathlon in Jacksonville July 13th. Hopefully I can improve on my snails pace time for Rocketman. In my defence those roads were worse than cobblestone and it felt like I was biking in a hurricane .. lol

2013-06-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: Lou_70

User image

Expert
I have been following everyone. You seem to be doing a good job on the races. Keep it up.
Not doing much in order to get ready for Augusta, just don't have time right now. Will suffer greatly in September !

Go to Facebook, search Little Caesar's of Petal Ms. Our store!!!! Like it for us if you will.
2013-06-09 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Hey Lou,
Great to hear your progress! I consider myself a beginner too although I have a lot of miles on my bike. How have you improved your speed so much cuz my avge speed is not good. Very frustrating. Can't afford of coach so have to beg off others.
Billy, good luck with the store. I hope you are having fun with it.
ann
2013-06-09 5:12 PM

Orlando
well in all honesty my coach is 100 responsible for it.

She had me doing a couple workouts a week apart.

1- 3 mins as fast as I could go x4..
2nd workout of the week was 30 miles at a decent pace

2nd week 6 mins the same speed as I did the following week x3
2nd workout of the week 30 miles decent pace

3rd week 10 mins same speed x2
2nd workout.. im sure you can guess 30 miles decent pace.

That brought my speed over that timeframe from 15 mph to 18.5

She is just sick and I mean sick on the bike.. entire workout she was in front of me talking to me while I was pushing it, I didnt even see her breathe out of her mouth.
2013-06-09 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
That's awesome Lou!! You did the work!! Thanks for sharing. So you saw improvement on the 30 mile rides? Were your all out rides on flats? Your thirty milers, were they the same route each time? I soooo need a coach! Thanks for your help!
ann
2013-06-10 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Originally posted by Lou_70

well in all honesty my coach is 100 responsible for it.

She had me doing a couple workouts a week apart.

1- 3 mins as fast as I could go x4..
2nd workout of the week was 30 miles at a decent pace

2nd week 6 mins the same speed as I did the following week x3
2nd workout of the week 30 miles decent pace

3rd week 10 mins same speed x2
2nd workout.. im sure you can guess 30 miles decent pace.

That brought my speed over that timeframe from 15 mph to 18.5

She is just sick and I mean sick on the bike.. entire workout she was in front of me talking to me while I was pushing it, I didnt even see her breathe out of her mouth.

Lou, thank you for sharing! I need to improve my biking speed BIG time.
Question... were you doing the speed workout on a trainer or outside? or in the gym on a spinner bike?

2013-06-10 2:05 PM
in reply to: Lyoshka

User image

Extreme Veteran
Very impressive Lou! Your coach must have some magic power as I thought I was doing something similar to that but my speed hasn't increased that much. I seem to be stuck at 15. Would love to see that increase to 18.

Very frustrated right now as I can't get my data to transfer, I am doing nothing different but for some reason either the watch or the computer keeps disabling the connection. Once I get it connected it still doesn't want to transfer. I would love to get a new watch but that is not in the cards. Augh!!!!!!
2013-06-11 5:44 AM
in reply to: 0

Orlando
Yes they were all the same course each time.
I honestly thought I was pushing myself, but my coach looked at me for like 2 minutes and showed me how to better pull up with my upward pedal stroke. A bike height adjustment. Finally her with me pushing me.

Of course I live in Florida so it was flatish with some wind.

Trust me I have no magic powers except the wondrous ability to swim slower than any other living thing.

I am pretty sure she just took my last two race times and saw my avg speed and built on it.

I didnt think I could go as fast as I did, but she made me sprint a couple times, which showed me 25 mph for a very short distance (12 secs), so I obviously could go faster than I was.. now the only agruing point was for how long.

We did the short spurts so I could get used to the speed and build on it.. then whamo she tied it all together.

I just think I got lucky and found someone that works for me. Hopefully I will see results on Sundays race. 3rd time on this sprint course so it will be a good measuring point of where I am improving.

Edited by Lou_70 2013-06-11 5:53 AM
2013-06-11 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Okay Billy, I just like your page and now I am hungry for some Little Caesars. Do you deliver to South Carolina? You are too funny saying you haven't started training for Augusta, you will knock it out in Billy fashion. Have you booked your room yet? I booked mine a month ago and had a hard time finding one.

The lodging and air flight for Arizona is done. Now I just have to train, find a way to transport my bike and rent a car. Lesson learned here............. register for a race that you can drive to. I know I will be a basket case trying to figure out how to pack for this journey, but wait I am a basket case anyway, so be prepare everyone.

Kathy
2013-06-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
When you're making arraingements to ship your bike, I recommned you go with a provider who will allow a gear bag, and wheel bag to travel on the truck with your bike. Great way to transport aero helmet, gels, bars, bottles, drink mix, c02 cartridges, spare tubes and tools etc. Because it is traveling on a truck, they usually don't care about bag weight limits, compressed gas, or liquids the way the airlines would.

Good luck,
Mark.
2013-06-14 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Go Lou go!!
Have a great Father's Day and race well. Thanks for your tips.
ann

2013-06-17 11:25 AM

Veteran
Quail Valley
Great job Lou!!!

Anybody ever do the Austria Ironman race? Some of the members of the club I belong to are going. I am think about it.
2013-06-18 12:24 PM
in reply to: phildampier

User image

Expert
Add another finish line. I did the Lake Pflugerville Tri on Sunday. It's my hometown race and I've done it every year since it started. This year I carried Beads of Courage. If you haven't done that, I encourage you to. Any time you feel like you are struggling or just can't keep pushing, just think of those beads and the kids who are going to get them and there's no way you can let up. Life has gotten in the way this year, so training has not been where it should be, but I was very happy with my results based on my training. Less than 2 minutes slower than my PR on the course.

Keep training folks!
2013-06-18 8:34 PM
in reply to: bar92

User image

Extreme Veteran
You didn't have any issues with the swim did you? I had heard that they had closed the Lake I think on Monday due to a mysteries barrel in the lake

Originally posted by bar92

Add another finish line. I did the Lake Pflugerville Tri on Sunday. It's my hometown race and I've done it every year since it started. This year I carried Beads of Courage. If you haven't done that, I encourage you to. Any time you feel like you are struggling or just can't keep pushing, just think of those beads and the kids who are going to get them and there's no way you can let up. Life has gotten in the way this year, so training has not been where it should be, but I was very happy with my results based on my training. Less than 2 minutes slower than my PR on the course.

Keep training folks!
2013-06-18 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
No issues with the swim. They did find a barrel in the lake they thought had hazardous materials inside, but I think they found out it was just an empty barrel that had filled with water. Better to be safe than sorry I guess. There was one year someone drown in the lake the week before the race. It was very tragic, but I was just glad they found the body before race day. I try not to think about what's in the water and I try not to swallow any (not always successful at that).

Originally posted by krazytallchick

You didn't have any issues with the swim did you? I had heard that they had closed the Lake I think on Monday due to a mysteries barrel in the lake

Originally posted by bar92

Keep training folks!

2013-06-20 6:14 AM

Uxbridge
Not sure if they have Tri Bike Transport in your area, but I know of many who have used this service and have had good experiences.
I looked on craigslist and bought my bike box used. Now I have a way to transport my bike where ever I travel Jet Blue and Southwest only charge $50 each way to transport your box which I consider pretty cheap. My box is BIG...which requires I rent a pretty big car. I only have to remove the head set and wheels to fit it in the box which is vvery simple to do.
Hope this helps

2013-06-22 9:15 AM
in reply to: mav

Orlando
Anyone have any pointers I can get for my running?

I am having huge issues with it lately. My legs are sore and I cant seem to get any distance. I get about 2 miles in and my feet start to hurt and my hips and legs are getting sore. I am not running more than twice a week and where two months ago I could go MUCH farther without discomfort.

It is not a cardio issue I am not out of breath at all!

I am thinking about switching to the galloway method. I have been hearing that you get faster results for someone of my running cailber (which is painfully slow by the way )

Any thoughts?

2013-06-23 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Have you gotten professionally fitted for running shoes? If not, go to a running store and have them watch you run as the shoes you had before worked and now you stride has changed and so must your shoe. That is what I am thinking is happening.

I do the Galloway run/walk been doing it for years. When you do use it make sure you start right from the beginning versus waiting till you get tired then it defeat the purpose. Play around with your intervals. I use to do a 4:1, 9:1 and now I am up to 12:1. I know others who run about the same pace as me and they do a 2:30/1 so find what works for you.

I am having huge issues with it lately. My legs are sore and I cant seem to get any distance. I get about 2 miles in and my feet start to hurt and my hips and legs are getting sore. I am not running more than twice a week and where two months ago I could go MUCH farther without discomfort.

I am thinking about switching to the galloway method. I have been hearing that you get faster results for someone of my running cailber (which is painfully slow by the way )

Any thoughts?

2013-06-24 3:19 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley
I agree start with the shoes. Take them with you to the store when being fitted. It could also be that the shoes are worn out. I change out my shoes every 400 miles even if they don't seem to need it. I buy higher end shoes. When I didn't they only lasted about 150-200miles If they start to feel or the tread looks worn out I will get new shoes earlier.

Anyone have any pointers I can get for my running?

It is not a cardio issue I am not out of breath at all!

Any thoughts?

2013-06-27 6:56 PM
in reply to: phildampier

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question for the ladies................ You guys can respond as well but figure you don't want to.

I get major red bumps in the bikini area due to shaving and I know that for some reason riding my bike in aero position seems to aggravate it more then normal, even with chamois buttr. However this year it is worse then ever. Do any of you have any suggestions? Someone had called this the barbie doll syndrome. Thanks!
2013-06-28 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
That happens to me, too. The bumps are almost like small pimples. I've tried pretty much everything and still get them. I just try to get out of the tri shorts as soon as I can after a ride and take a shower as soon as possible as well. Lots of women wax to help with that, but I haven't tried that yet. If you figure something out, let me know.

2013-06-28 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Hey Lou,
I don't remember how old you are but I am 51 and a new runner who is also slow. I do Galloway as suggested by many on this site. I do it for heart rate issues and just to just generally "save my legs". I haVE BEEN TRAINING, oops on the caps, 5:1 but I think I am going to do 4:1 in my upcoming HIM. Any thoughts here?? I just think I will feel better. In the heat 5:1 gets hard. I have read that Galloway really saves your body and you recover faster. Especially in training. Triple, are you out there? We could use your input here?
I'm 2 weeks out from my HIM. The long training is done. I have done all I can do. Hoping for a finish. It's a challenging course. Starting to taper!! Yea!!
I have loved most of my training.
Have a great week end every one!!
ann
2013-06-30 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congratulations Ann you made it to tapering! I can't wait to hear about your race!!!! As for the run/walk ratio go with what feels good to you. If a 4:1 is better then go for it, as there is no perfect formula out there, you got to go with how you feel.
2013-07-03 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Txs for the encouragement KTC.
BTW the bump issue is one issue I thankfully don't have. Genetically speaking I have little body hair. I hope you can figure something out. Now chafing, I do have. I use the stuff in the green square can. I think it is for cows utters. It helps. I have also recently tried the new Glide that rubs in and forms a sheild. It seems to be helping. I am having a blister issue on my left big toe on my longer runs. So far, nothing is helping that. Tried new soaks and new running shoes. I have quite the inventory of socks. I feel it starting at about mile 9. I can live with it. We will see how the HIM goes. I am so hoping for a respectable finish or just a finish.
Where is every one????
Happy 4th!!
2013-07-03 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Txs for the encouragement KTC.
BTW the bump issue is one issue I thankfully don't have. Genetically speaking I have little body hair. I hope you can figure something out. Now chafing, I do have. I use the stuff in the green square can. I think it is for cows utters. It helps. I have also recently tried the new Glide that rubs in and forms a sheild. It seems to be helping. I am having a blister issue on my left big toe on my longer runs. So far, nothing is helping that. Tried new soaks and new running shoes. I have quite the inventory of socks. I feel it starting at about mile 9. I can live with it. We will see how the HIM goes. I am so hoping for a respectable finish or just a finish.
Where is every one????
Happy 4th!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57