BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-01-01 9:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Name:  Left.right.repeat aka Bryan

2013 finish lines: 31

2012 finish lines: 78

2011 finish lines: 61

2010 finish lines: 70

2009 finish lines: 46

2008 finish lines: 53

Story:  This is my sixth year as a mentor.  My group will be a little different from many of them on here and I want to explain how.  I have a couple of folks from my first group, a couple from my second group, several from my third year and some from the 4th year.  Then we will be adding those of you who might be interested.  The group is male and female, evenly divided, from Canada and Boston to Louisiana and Texas.  All middle aged (don't tell them I said that)....my 50 year mid life crisis in 2009 was my first Ironman (chronicled in the book - You Are An Ironman) - I finished IM Arizona in November 2009 and 2011.  Two of our 2010 members did IM Louisville and one of our other members completed IM Arizona in 2010 but don't let that intimidate you...several just did their first sprint in 2008, 2009 or 2010.  We had 7 Ironman finishes in 2012.  We are a welcoming group that is looking to add some new blood and excitement.  Join this group and benefit from several wicked smart mentors.  If you are looking for experienced Ironman finishers in your group, we may be for you - OR - If you are just starting in the sport, we are a fun welcoming group evenly divided between men and women and we are ALL a lot of fun.  FYI, there are female IM finishers and male IM finishers - we don't discriminate.

Family: Married with an adult daughter

Current Training/2013 Races:  Half Marathon, Olympic triathlon, Half Ironman, Ironman and other epic endurance events including the Gulf Coast Interstate Relay.

2010 Races:  Disney half marathon, America's Run half, Texas Independence Relay (203 miles), CapTexTri, Austin Triathlon, LiveStrong Challenge, Tour de Cure, Ironman Florida and a few others.

2011 Races - Austin Half Marathon, Tour de Cure, CapTexTri, Make a Wish Ride, Toyota US Open Triathlon, Ironman Arizona.

2012 Races - Five half marathons, numerous organized bike rides and other cool stuff.  I got hurt training for Ironman Canada and had to withdraw.

Weightloss: 40 pounds in less than 36 months - keeping it off

What makes me a good mentor:  The other people in the group....LOL....we have fun.  Seriously, we have history.  Once you are in the group and we close it, we will move you all to our base group where we all reside.  Don't worry I won't lose you.  Additionally, there are over 260 pages of posts buried deep in the archives equaling over 4000 messages which you will want to read....there's history in there and a TON of answers to your questions.

So, fire away, all questions are appropriate and will be answered....come join us....tell me who you are and why you want to join our team.

Bryan

Edited by left.right.repeat 2013-04-20 8:21 PM

2012-01-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3965644

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - 5th year mentor - OPEN

I'd love to join!

I'll write more later. Knowing mav, she has shared how much support and fun she has with this group.

2012-01-05 7:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kathy - of course you are welcome.
2012-01-05 8:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
One clarifying point - this is not only a long course group. We have members who haven't done more than an Olympic distance and all of us started short and slow and progressed. I did, however, want those considering long course events to know there was a place for them too. So come on in - the waters fine - it may be a bit uphill but don't let that OR ANYTHING stop you. Bryan
2012-01-06 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Hi Bryan,

I'm 47 and got interested in triathlon after reading "You are an Ironman".  I was a pretty good competitive swimmer through age groups and high school, but really haven't swum the last 30 years.  I've been doing weight training for three years, and ran 10-12 mi/wk up until last summer, when I started doing 35 mi/wk.  Of course I came down with a stress fracture in November after such a quick bump up in miles.  I've started back to running in the past week, and would like to be smarter about it this time. 

My goals are to do the Cincinnati Marathon on 5/6/2011, do several sprint triathlons over the summer and maybe finish with an oly tri.  Then in 2013 move up to oly's and a HIM.  The ultimate goal would be to do an IM sometime in 2014.  As a total newcomer to Tri's I'd love to join the group, as I'm going to need alot of advice.

John

2012-01-06 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
John - welcome aboard. Your story is great. You will be an awesome addition to the group.

2012-01-06 11:06 PM

Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Bryan,

Yea, so...I'm in. Sorta have to be after "left.right.repeat". It represents the challenge that I have and the culmination of getting there. I am eager to tri and I am a pure beginner to the sport. I am formerly a swimmer and a fairly good runner, thanks to the military. I am currently active duty Army, and have been in for over ten years. My goal, although I am new, is an IM. I am willing to work for the goals and look forward to the added motivation and great mentoring you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Cabana Dan

2012-01-07 6:16 AM

Regular

Hi Bryan,

I would love to join your group esp since I just read You are an Ironman!

Started triathlon last year, did a sprint and an international distance, was sufficiently bitten by the bug and am now signed up for the Rhode Island 70.3.  I will mail a bio later.

Pam

2012-01-07 6:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Pam and Dan - welcome. We will get you to the finish line. I am off this morning to run the Bold in the Cold 15k. More later. Great to have you all here. What's your workout today?
2012-01-07 6:27 AM

Regular

Originally the plan was a bric work out with the camp I am doing over the winter.  But, (you know the best laid plans and all that) my sitter overslept, and I can't make it on time.  Will bike 60 mins on the trainer while the kids are sleeping and then do a 20 minute run sometime later today.

Have a great run!

2012-01-07 11:44 AM

User image

Walla Walla

Good morning!  May I join your group?  

I am completely new to the site and to the sport. This Tuesday I decided to do a sprint. Surprised I have been swimming and strength training on and off for about 6 months.   I followed the first week of the 2x balanced 16 week sprint training program and did okay.

Starting point:  I'm 40 years old, female, lawyer, mom of 1, 197 lbs. (just under my heaviest weight ever, but I've lost 10 pounds in the last month). I feel like my endurance is very good when I keep my heart rate around 155-160.

Backstory: I finished the Susan Komen 3-day a few years ago, and before the birth of my daughter (7 years ago) I finished some kind of long bike ride - probably a 60 mile not a century - so I have some hope that I can finish a training program and a sprint.  But I've never competed in anything before. 

I tend to overthink things. 

I have a supportive family and figure I can train up to 10 hours a week, but I don't want to rely just on what my husband is going to tell me.  He has done a triathalon, half marathons, climbs mountains, rides motorcycles, etc. and does not beleive much in moderation, pace, celebrating small steps, or rest. I respond to praise and tend to get discouraged easily. I'm looking for a group to encourage and motivate me.

Suzie

Edited by Suzie Weathermon 2012-01-07 12:00 PM

2012-01-07 11:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Susie - you are IN. It will be a good balance - you over think - me don't think at all - average - about right!!!
2012-01-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3976700

User image

Walla Walla

Yes, "Left. Right. Repeat." sounds like a cure for thinking.  Love it.

2012-01-07 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Do you have room for one more as I would love to join the group.

I did my first HIM last year and is trying to figure out which IM to do in 2013. I am not the fastest but I get it done.

Kathy
2012-01-07 12:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
Currently at 5 new folks. We probably won't add more than 10 so you all are lucky to have been quick. So here is the plan....every year since 2008 I have mentored a group. Every year i get new people and some hit their goal and they are done and some want to continue on - so you have picked well. And finally unfortunately, every year a few people drop out without hitting their goal (although this has never happened to us but does happen in other groups). So - just so you know - you are all now COMMITTED to AT LEAST hitting your goal - then we can talk. Smile. My old group - with new people added every year - Still exists. When we fill up here we will migrate over an you will all get to meet the group. We have done this 4 times now and it is awesome. It's like you all get a TEAM of mentors. The group is a lot of fun. We have actually even been able to meet up a couple of time with some of the group. This year, we will have several of us at IM Arizona so start saving your pennies in case you want to come and watch two of your teammates tackle Ironman Arizona while we all party. It'll be fun all year - get excited and ready to go to work. The best thing about this group is the four year of super secret Q and A you all will have access too. Again - welcome to the best.
2012-01-07 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sorry for the short intro I was in the middle of a cold bath trying to get my legs to feel better after a 16 mile run this morning.

I have been running for over 10 years. Started doing sprint triathlons two years ago. A friend who had not done a triathlon had signed up for a HIM and I was like if she can do it so can I. To prepare for the race I did a few Olympic distance and I completed my first half with a smile on my face. A month later I PR on a very hilly half marathon course!

Now I am training for a full marathon in Feb. Not sure what else is on my list of races this year but I do know a HIM is on it. Even though I have been doing shorter races I still can use lots,of advise.

Oh, and I am 42, and is just about the weight I was back in college.

Kathy

2012-01-07 2:00 PM

Extreme Veteran
Kathy - we do nothing fast but we look GREAT and it is always a party. We thank volunteers, Police and EMTs (standard for EMt is thanks for being here - hope I never need you). Welcome aboard. We have a new great group forming. I am stoked.
2012-01-07 2:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Read this. Its pretty funny. I love 25. What's your favorite???
2012-01-07 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
MA

NAME: KathyG/Kathy

STORY:After losing weight the previous 1.5 years, I did my first tri in 2004 to prove to myself I had changed. My first tri I was full of fear. Over time my fitness improved, I became faster and in time slowly did longer tris. I find triathlon teaches me a lot about myself if I allow it to and can be great tool for personal growth. I race to challenge myself and help me keep focused in my training. Since 2004 I have done races about 50 of all distances including 4 IMs, participated in 3 other Iron distance races as biker in relay and done 2 IM aquabikes. I'm passionate about triathlons and the positives it brings both to my life and the lives of those I know.

I love to ride. I have quite a few bikes and enjoy racing cyclocross.

I see triathlon can be a amazing journey to self discovery if you allow it to be. The pleasure and joy I get out of s/b/r is amazing and life changing.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 5 kids (13-22) & I turned 50 2 months ago

CURRENT TRAINING: With surgery 12/5, I'm in recovery phase. I will be on crutches 2-3 more weeks and was just given okay to swim easy. In 6 weeks I may be able to start working on fitness and getting back to more normal training.

I have worked with coaches since 2005. I do best when I have someone put together my plan with my input of what workouts fit best on what days and just follow the plan.  I like the technical aspect of tri training and have used a power meter since 2006.

PT, ROM cycling and easy swimming are my focus currently.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2011 had many obstacles. I gave up running in May as pain it caused my knee was effecting my day to day life. I did a few sprint as relay member as biker or swim/biker with my husband and daughters. I also did HIM AB in June, Oly AB in August and IM AB in September. I had registered to do both IMLP and IMFL to coordinate with turning 50 as IMFL would have been my 5th IM and was the day after my 50th birthday. I withdrew from IMLP but did participate in IMFL planning on walking the run if knee held up. My orthopedic surgeon was okay with the plan and I scheduled major surgery the following month.  I was able to finish the race and knee handled it okay. I had my leg realigned so that my weight would be on the part of my knee that has good cartilage as I have 3 bone on bone places. I had both TTO and HTO surgery both on my tibia so I had part of my tibia cut off and realigned to avoid patella pain and about 3-4" below knee joint tibia was cut almost through and wedge of 8.5 mm was made with plate and screws.

2012 RACES:  Once recovered from surgery, hope to get back to normal training. The only race I'm registered for is IMFL in November which I realize that my participation is a big question mark. If recovery and training goes well I hope to do some aquabikes prefer IM and HIM distance as well as some relays with my family. I may be able to start running but need to limit how much I do in order to avoid knee replacement as long as possible.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since 2003 I have lost and maintained big weight loss. I have lost up to 98 pounds and during off season tend to gain back 10-18 pounds. For me exercise that I enjoy is key to maintaining my weight.

2012-01-07 2:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Suzie - my wife did the Dallas Komen 3day in nov 2011. It was awesome.
2012-01-07 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Is there still room to join? I met you this year in Arizona when I bought the book and had you sign it. I'm sure you remember me out of all those people. Ha!

Name: Briana

Background: Started endurance events in 2005 with my first marathon one weekend and my first triathlon the next weekend. Have done 12 marathons since and numerous triathlons from sprint to Ironman. Did IMFL in 2010 and will be doing IMAZ this year.

family: married with a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. Daughter plays club volleyball and son plays club soccer.

2011 races: the focus of 2011 was setting a PR at the Chicago marathon (which I did) so only two triathlons, but one of those was in Hawaii while ther on vacation. Several running races as well.

2012 plans: 3M half marathon, Hot Chocolate 15k, cap10k, Lonestar 70.3, Lake Pflugerville tri, possibly Redman full aquabike and IMAZ.

2012-01-07 7:48 PM

Regular

OK, so here is my story, just turned 47, am a female physician working in the Medical Device Industry in a start up company.

I started training for tris in May after watching the finish line of St Anthony's in St Pete.  I was told that I could do this.  I used to be a competitive volleyball player, swam and ran as a kid, and being from Belgium I did not get a car till into my twenties as we biked everywhere.  I have to say what I remembered from my swimming days and my first swim after a serious gap of 20+ (maybe it was 30+ for swimming laps) years was eye-opening and swimming is not like biking...  That was a slightly ruder awakening than what I had hoped.  Luckily adding in biking training was a little easier.

I had been jogging for a few years as a way of keeping sane during a long drawn out divorce.  My GP recommended Prozac (or equivalent) but anti-depressive drugs are not an option for me.  (How are you supposed to know you are happy when you do not go thru the sad phases)  So I jogged a few times a week, until a friend told me we should do the Rock&Roll Nashville half marathon in 2009.  So I upped my mileage without any plan or moderation and promptly ran myself to double meniscus surgery in April of 09.  First week back to sports (labor day weekend 2009), I thought I should diversify and played tennis for the first time in 19 years, and ruptured my achilles tendon.     

2 years later I am happy to say I am back to normal.   After training for a few months, I did a sprint followed by an international distance.  And then (logically?) I signed up for the Rhode Island 70.3, I am doing the race together with my triathlete boyfriend which will be a ton of fun, I think  He is doing IMFL (his first IM), so I might volunteer there and if I survive the year without any injuries, the plan is to sign up for IMFL 2013.

Rhode Island was the only HIM that fit into my parenting plan (2 youngish kids)  and professional travel schedule.  I work from home (FL) which is great and travel to Europe every last week of the month.  That week I slow down because it is a trade off between sleeping or working out and being jet lagged sleep often wins.  While I try to get in 2-3 work outs running or or on the hotel's stationary bike, I have not tried finding pools to swim while traveling.

Because I have never actually ran a half marathon, I signed up for the ST Pete Half Mary on 12 Feb and am using a plan to monitor mileage, so far so good!  I also signed up for a winter tri camp locally.  My 26 week HIM plan starts Monday.  I am excited to be part of this group.  Sorry for the drawn-out bio...

Thanks for having me!

Pam

2012-01-07 7:58 PM

User image

Walla Walla

The 3 day has so much motivation.  What a party. For a week after I would walk down the street and be sort of put out that no one was cheering for me or handing me a sticker.  I had to fight the urge to dance across intersections.   I imagine a sprint tri is not exactly the same atmosphere.

Which brings me to some Newbie thoughts: Today was my first official "rest day" and I spent half of it thinking about the 20 minutes of running tomorrow.  I think I can, I think I can!  Does it still count if I break it up in to 4 minute intervals, with 2 minute walk breaks?  Will I get to the finish line of a sprint in 4 months if this is where I am now? I have absolutely no worries about the swim or bike, but the running is, um, not pretty. I like to jog but I don't like to wheeze or overheat, so I don't get my heart rate over 170. So I'm aiming to shuffle in at dead last and breathing easy (hey at the Komen 3 day when you are last you get to raise the flag!), but I would like to finish before they shut out the lights.  What is the cutoff time, generally, for each event? Somebody stop me before I think some more. 

2012-01-08 8:09 AM

Quick question- are we allowed to be a part of more than one group? I 'm alreadysigned up with another metor group...but then I saw yours. I just finished reading You are an Ironman and LOVED it. I think I would find it very inspirational to be a part of (or at a minimum) follow this group. At the same time, I don't want to take up an extra spot.

My goal in EPIC Dartmouth on July 1st in Nova Scotia - I'm undecided as to whether I will do the EPIC or the IRON.

Thanks,
Tanya
2012-01-08 9:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Where is everybody? What are you doing physically today????
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57