General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running problems? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-02 12:39 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Subject: Running problems?

I always seem to get really bad pain when I run. I have an area that swells about 4 inches above my ankle on the outside of my leg. It happens to both but it's more severe on my right side. I went and got fitted for a good pair of running shoes from a reputable running store. They looked at how I walk/run and noticed I supinate really bad. I bought the shoes they suggested and took them out. I went on a good run yesterday and did have some trouble but since I had plenty of time I would stop stretch and walk a bit if I had to. I am getting very frustrated because it happens EVERY time I run. If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this before please let me know. I'm trying to lose weight and I know that running has always been the best way for me to do this.

2012-01-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3966425

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Running problems?

How long ago did you start running again? I can see in your log what last week was like; were other weeks before it similar?

At what intensity are you doing your runs? Could you hold a conversation?

2012-01-02 1:33 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
I have been running for about a month. I was training for a half Mary last year and developed shin splints and platar fasciitis so I stopped healed and have been doing it for a short time again. I'm new here so the logs don't reflect all I have done.
It happens almost everytime I run now. If I have plenty of time like after work I can stop, stretch and walk a bit but even then it's still there. I powered through some decent miles this weekend but I hobbled the last bit home.
2012-01-02 1:50 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Oh and yes I could hold a conversation. I was at a relatively low intensity. I just wanted to get out and see what would happen.
2012-01-02 1:50 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Oh and yes I could hold a conversation. I was at a relatively low intensity. I just wanted to get out and see what would happen.
2012-01-02 1:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser

It does sound like you're doing everything you're "supposed" to. Also, everyone's different (and the following is especially true for those who have been injured before and/or may be overweight, as you said you are looking to lose) ... you may need to build up running even more gradually than you are, and do even lower intensity ... brisk walking (or learning to speedwalk) and aquajogging are possibilities.

I would try using a foam roller on the swollen area after your runs. Google "foam roller" (you can get one at most running stores or order online) and calf rolling.

I wish you the best. Of course if this persists despite the above precautions, treatments (and whatever good ideas others may come up with), you should consult a health care professional.

2012-01-02 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
neumann_jc - 2012-01-02 11:39 AM

I always seem to get really bad pain when I run. I have an area that swells about 4 inches above my ankle on the outside of my leg. It happens to both but it's more severe on my right side. I went and got fitted for a good pair of running shoes from a reputable running store. They looked at how I walk/run and noticed I supinate really bad. I bought the shoes they suggested and took them out. I went on a good run yesterday and did have some trouble but since I had plenty of time I would stop stretch and walk a bit if I had to. I am getting very frustrated because it happens EVERY time I run. If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this before please let me know. I'm trying to lose weight and I know that running has always been the best way for me to do this.

I am a runner and as such I had had many injuries, you name it.. I had it at one time or another. Fortunatelly there is a way to run pain free and it is not about getting the "right" shoes, it is about learning how to run.   I wrote a blogpost a few months ago about picking a shoe, read it here: "http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-in-shoe.html".   Picking a running shoe is unimportant if you know how to run..  Most of us take running for granted.  Please read this blogpost as well so you know what I am talking about (http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/injury-prevention.html).    I think that first we need to learn how to run,  then we should develop our endurance, and finally get some speed.  But you don't want to start running long if you don't know how to run, or start running fast if you dont' know how to run. 

I am an endurance athlete,  I have run over 50 marathons and ultras, including several at the 100 mile range and I have done several ironman triathlons.   I can do this because I learned how to run.  check my blog here (http://velasqu7.blogspot.com/), I promise I know what I am talking about. 

cheers and let me know how it goes..

Luis

Edited by velasqu7 2012-01-02 4:21 PM
2012-01-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3966807

User image

Evansville, IN

I am a runner and as such I had had many injuries, you name it.. I had it at one time or another. Fortunatelly there is a way to run pain free and it is not about getting the "right" shoes, it is about learning how to run.   I wrote a blogpost a few months ago about picking a shoe, read it here: "http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-is-in-shoe.html".   Picking a running shoe is unimportant if you know how to run..  Most of us take running for granted.  Please read this blogpost as well so you know what I am talking about (http://sccfendurance.blogspot.com/2011/03/injury-prevention.html).    I think that first we need to learn how to run,  then we should develop our endurance, and finally get some speed.  But you don't want to start running long if you don't know how to run, or start running fast if you dont' know how to run. 

I am an endurance athlete,  I have run over 50 marathons and ultras, including several at the 100 mile range and I have done several ironman triathlons.   I can do this because I learned how to run.  check my blog here (http://velasqu7.blogspot.com/), I promise I know what I am talking about. 

Luis

I will give the mid foot strike method a shot. From what I gather it's more the way I roll and push off than the way i'm landing but I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the articles they were very informative. It makes sense so I will see how it feels tomorrow.

2012-01-03 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3966904

User image

Expert
San mateo California
neumann_jc - 2012-01-02 4:24 PM

Luis

I will give the mid foot strike method a shot. From what I gather it's more the way I roll and push off than the way i'm landing but I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the articles they were very informative. It makes sense so I will see how it feels tomorrow.

Good luck and let me know how it goes..    There is a shoe I recommend for people trying to learn how to run..  they are the newtons..   these are expensive, but they will help you get your form down...  once you got that you can migrate to cheaper shoes..   I just got two pairs of shoes yesterday,  each pair was $49.99, don't ask me what are they,  they are just shoes..   I love to be able to buy anytype of shoe...    but you have to learn how to run first..  

The Newton shoes will help you getting started..   shoot me an email if you want to know more.

luis

2012-01-03 9:23 PM

User image

Venice

It the swelling diffuse or relatively isolated? If isolated, give me an approximate size; dime, quarter, golf ball. Is it hard or soft? From what it sounds like, it could be a result of the overworking of your evertors by landing in a supinated position. I used to have a similar problem when I played football on artificial turf. I would try to find a distance that is relatively short, but long enough that you could consistently create symptoms within that distance. Attempt that distance with absolute focus on landing in a more neutral position. I think about striking the ground with the ball of my foot on the big toe side. Try to maintain that position and see if you can go any farther without symptoms. If so, start emphasizing foot placement. 

Some people will have veins that will protrude there, but that doesn't sound like it. I've also seen cases where the fascial tissue will tear and you can get soft tissue herniations there. Some people will get a lot of relief from heavy compression. Like sports tape as tight as you can without cutting off circulation.

I would also say that doing a temporary switch to using a aqua jogger or something to keep the load off your feet while training for a while, might be worth it. Very boring, but you have to let soft tissue heal. You cannot out tough healing. I hope this helps.

2012-01-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3969638

User image

Evansville, IN
swflpt - 2012-01-03 9:23 PM

Some people will have veins that will protrude there, but that doesn't sound like it. I've also seen cases where the fascial tissue will tear and you can get soft tissue herniations there. Some people will get a lot of relief from heavy compression. Like sports tape as tight as you can without cutting off circulation.

You hit the nail on the head here. That is exactly what the doctor said. It's good to have a diagnosis and be on the right path to recovery.

2012-01-12 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3966506

User image

New user

Hold a conversation? I keep hearing about that, if I do more than a fast walk, it's totally out of the question! Even when I was young and "spry" (8 min miles), there was no wway I could do that. It's either run or talk, not both! I applaud the people that can do it though!
2012-04-06 3:25 PM

User image

Evansville, IN
Just wanted to follow up on this post. After a long drawn out process getting diagnosed i am finally on the path to recovery. I was diagnosed with compartment syndrome. I had the surgery yesterday to correct this so hopefully soon I will be able to hit the road again.
2012-04-06 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4134526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
Glad you got it fixed! Good luck going forward!!
2012-04-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3968024

User image

New user

Picking a running shoe is unimportant if you know how to run..

I totally disagree with you.  Picking the right shoe is just as important as learning to run. Learning to run helps in the long run to avoid injuries and improve performance.  However, picking the right shoe is so important in the short term. The OP was having problems getting started running. This was either a shoe issue or he's got an injury, a combination of both.  In this case, he was injuried.  Once he is healed, he is going to have find a pair of shoes that works for his body and running style.  He might have to change his running style like you suggested, but his shoes will need to match.  He might next really cushioned shoes to allow his body to adjust to running. He might need orthotics or mortion control shoes to help his pronation issue.  I assume he is a clyde like me, which mean proper shoes for him will be very important. 

I've ran many marathons as well and had normal injuries over the years.  However, when I switched shoes to a different brand, I developed plantar and ankle injury. I tried 4 pairs of shoes. What finally happened was picking the right shoe that was not constricting my mid region. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running problems? Rss Feed